close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rear Deltoids Training Advice Sought

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by DBradD, Jan 9, 2006.

1. DBradD

DBradD

I'm in severe need of an improved rear deltoids training routine. Any advice and insight would be greatly appreciated.

I have a very difficult time fatiguing or making these muscles sore. This bugs me mainly because my deltoids seem unbalanced, with my front delts seemingly much more developed. I think my front delts get a good workout during bench press, so BP + overhead press works them effectively, twice per week. Conversely, my rear delts do not seem to get much of a workout from my back workout (pullups, rows, etc.), so they barely get worked on delts day and barely worked on back day.

For rear delts, I do various forms of bentover laterals, either one-armed with cables, two-armed with dumbbells, 3-4 sets of 8-10. I never seem to really be able to work these muscles extremely hard. "Failure" on bentover laterals usually happens when I can't get the weight moving past about halfway up, but the muscles are not burning, or sore or tired the next day. I THINK I know the form well enough, but am open to suggestions. There could be some nuance that I haven't learned yet.

My next idea is to move bentover laterals to first on its day to increase my energy during that exercise. I might do dumbbell bentover laterals, then pulley bentover laterals, then go on to the other two delts heads.

One immediately obvious problem is that bentover laterals is not a compound joint exercise, whereas my front delts get hammered by TWO compound joint exercises - overhead presses and bench press.

Edit: In case it's important, my overall training routine is 4 days/week, each bodypart once per week, basic exercises. Nothing fancy.
    Squats, Leg Curls, Calves, Abs, Obliques on Monday
    Bench Press, Incline Press, Barbell Curls, Incline Curls on Tuesday
    Deadlifts, Pullups, Bentover Rows, Shrugs, and Stiff Legged Deadlifts on Thursday
    Behind Neck Press, Laterals, Bentover Laterals, Triceps Extensions on Friday

Thank you very much.

DBD

2. gunguru1

gunguru1

When you do bent over laterals with dumbells try getting your little fingers higher that your thumbs at the top of the movement. Pretend the dumbells are bottles of water and you are pouring them out. For me this seems to isolate the rear deltoid better.

Hope this helps,

gunguru1

3. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

I was actually going to suggest the same thing.

4. b8es_

b8es_

How do you do your bent rows? It seems that bent rows with a barbell with overhand grip hits rear delts the best for rowing. Do you row with enough weight? Try getting your barbell rowing close to your bench weight. So if you are benching 275 for reps, you should be able to work out with something like 225 for reps on rowing.

5. DBradD

DBradD

Thanks for the replies.

I'll concentrate more on the angle of my hands, the water pitcher thing. I usually hold the dumbbell about level and I'll try tilting them forward a bit more next time.

As for BO rows, I've done those wide grip with barbell forever and they never seem to hit my rear delts. At least they never feel sore or tired the next day. I guess that's an individual thing and I'll think more about that the next time I do back.

I did something that worked a little better last time. I switched to cable one-arm bentover laterals and moved it to first in the routine. I did an extra set or two also. My rear delts were sore two days later and felt pretty tired during the workout. Maybe that will help, along with your suggestions.

DBD

6. b8es_

b8es_

I forgot bands. You can definitely make them sore doing the bent lateral movement with bands, like the Westside guys use.

7. Glock13

Glock13

Try working your rear delts with cables standing straight up and bringing your arms from in front of you to extended out to your sides. That's the way I do them and I always get a good burn. I don't use any handles...just grab the cables.

8. DBradD

DBradD

Kinda like your avatar?

Thank you very much.

DBD

9. Glock13

Glock13

Yeah, actually now that you say it.....like my avatar!

If you grab the cable....keep your palms facing down towards the floor and squeeze your delts at the very back.