close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Really wanna buy this hammock tonight

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Von Hayes, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011KZREC/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_d0_g200_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0BP59BP58JQ1P17MBZX2&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846"]Amazon.com: Hennessy Hammock Expedition A-sym: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61OUvsYSN5L.@@AMEPARAM@@61OUvsYSN5L[/ame]

Anyone got any experience? I wanna do some solo camping/hiking; and for some reason hammock camping appeals to me. Mind you I'm a pretty big guy, 6' 1" and pushing 260.

Any advice would really be appreciated. I have 3 weeks off in July, and wanna go camping/hiking for a few days to a week.

I'm looking for a little adventure, somewhere in the Northeast. I deally, I'd like to be able to go for a long hike, maybe take an ultralite rod with me, and cook up some fish :).

Ideally, I'd like a bit of adventure, but not looking to end up on "I survived."

I have next to no experience, but I've watched a lot of "Dual Survival," and Survivalman," lol.

Also, I have a nice compass and some cool survival knives.

Thanks

2. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

I can do the same thing with a $20 dollar hammock and a drop cloth. It fits on the little luggage rack on my dual-sport.

But, for some reason, I needed a $150 three-piece surplus army "modular sleep system".

(And, it DOES work at -10°, but, alas, there were no trees, way up north, for the hammock.)

3. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

Oh thank god, I thought it was a hammock of the banana kind....which then makes me question why I even clicked on this thread.

4. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

If you pee in a plastic bottle and tuck it into your "modular sleep system" you won't be wasting body heat, in the snowbank.

(I had a little extra heat to spare, so I didn't do that.)

5. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

You'll be like a pinata for bears! Sweet!

6. rockapede

rockapede

I'm your size minus about 20 pounds, which I doubt really makes a difference. I own that model.

Review: I will never sleep on the ground again.

7. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

Cool, the reviews are terrific. What add-ons would you recommend?

8. rockapede

rockapede

A set of longer "tree huggers" (webbing straps that go around the trees) is a must as they give you much more flexibility in where you camp. I hear the snake skins are worthwhile as well, but I've never used them. A thin, closed cell foam sleeping pad is great when it's chilly, although it can be a little difficult to get in the hammock with it. I've also heard Hennessy's insulating kit (super shelter?) is great but I've never used it either.

Points to ponder:

1) It will feel rickety the first couple of times you use it, but I've never managed to kill mine.
    2) Look up a couple of youtube videos to learn how to tie the lashing because the instructions on the stuff sack are useless.
    3) Don't make the mistake of stretching the hammock too tight when you set it up: get the ridgeline mostly straight and you'll be good to go. Otherwise it's not as comfortable.
    4) Being about your size, hang the hammock as high as you can and still get in, at least until you really get the hang of the knot. Otherwise, you could well end up dragging the ground by morning.

9. rockapede

rockapede

One more piece of advice: I see they've got a zippered model now. I'd skip it, as the bottom entry version is awesome and a zipper is just another failure point, imo.

10. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

Thanks. Gonna buy before I leave work tonight.

Can you point me to some of the "tree huggers" you reference? Hopefully Amazon has those too? Tanks a rot.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  11. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

The Skeeter Beater is my first choice.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Trunk-Skeeter-Beeter-Hammock/dp/B001AIFLX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339808543&sr=8-1&keywords=skeeter+beater"]Amazon.com: The Travel Hammock Skeeter Beeter Pro Hammock (Olive/Khaki): Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41vEq4n%2BtkL.@@AMEPARAM@@41vEq4n%2BtkL[/ame]

12. rockapede

rockapede

Seems they don't call them treehuggers anymore. Here's a link to Hennessy's accessory website where they sell them, not sure about Amazon:

http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/accessories/

13. patermagnus

patermagnus

If you have not bought it, check out a "Warbonnet Blackbird Hammock" They are awesome.

14. jr05

jr05

The hennessy hammocks are really good. I have one of their asym ultralight backpacker models and like it a lot.

If you do end up getting it, get a pair of snake skins for it, greatly simplifies packing up in the morning.

Regardless of what hammock system you go with you will need to try out some different setups to ensure you stay warm. Just the hammock even on 70F nights can get mighty chilly, I highly recommend an underquilt setup but they can get a bit spendy depending on how much weight you are looking to have in the setup.

Hammockforums.net is a great resource, check it out, and enjoy hanging. Once you try it, you most likely will never want to sleep on the ground again.

15. TKM

TKM Shiny Member Lifetime Member

I'm a little bigger than you so I got the Safari Deluxe.

Find strong trees and enjoy.

The snakeskins rock.

16. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

where we camp you cant use hammocks , unless about 7 mile hike on island ,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. happy seal

happy seal

I slep on my side mostly. Is that impossible in one of these?

18. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

I think your opinion is against the law now.

Shape up, comrade.

19. dango

dango

i ALWAYS ADD A LIGHT WEIGHT TARP , GIVES ME ROOM TO BREATH PLUS A DRY COOK SPOT.IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE VERY LARGE , 10X12 IS PLENTY. PLUS THE SPACE IS WORTH IT.

NEVER USED JUST A HAMMOCK , ALWAYS HAD A GOOD TENT FOR FOUL BLOWING WEATHER.

ALWAYS LOVED GETTING AWAY AND BE SAFE AND LISTEN .
    THE WIND IN THE TREES IS THE MOST BEAUTFULL SOUND I WILL EVER HERE.

20. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

Great, now I'm all messed up, lol. Gotta give it one more day to decide now.

Haha