Really sweet DVD copy software

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Drjones, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Drjones

Drjones

Thanks to this software I have FINALLY been able to back up my DVDs and make .ISOs of them for eventual use on a media player I want to get.

It will rip directly from a disc to a .ISO, to various mobile formats for iphone, PSP, etc. - it has a LOT of features.

I know that making backups of your DVDs isn't hard, it's just something I never sat down & tried to hard to figure out, I was also put off by the fact that it seemed to require a couple different pieces of software - DVDFab does it all.

http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm

2. markieboy

markieboy Senior Member

Glad you're enjoying DVDFab to make "backup" copies of your DVDs! :supergrin:

3. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

Are you a Netflix customer? :whistling:

4. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

hey man. Yeah i bought dvd fab's software over the holidays. it's awesome. I have encountered a few dvd's that wouldn't rip but i didn't feel it was worth the time to post a thread on dvd fab's forums. I too have been ripping my dvd collection. Then i have them on my server which i stream to my ps3 for watching in the living room. It's a sweet setup. I've also taken those same rips that i created and sent them as .mp4's for my iPhone. I've got like all the rambo movies on my iPhone, top gun, crank, crank 2, star trek. It's genius

But yeah. the software is great. I love how they give you 30 days of the software for trial use. If you like you buy, if not oh well. Before i bought dvd fab i tried literally 6 other programs and had issues with all of them. dvd fab came through with flying colors.

5. Kith

Kith

Isn't being legally entitled to one backup copy of any media you legitamately own such a nice thing?

It seems like people are split mostly down the middle. Some backup to hard copy, others to digital format.

I always figured that I had a hardcopy already, so I just copied them onto the computer and put the originals into a nice safe place. The digital copies run better too. Besides, you already use the hard drive to run the computer - this way you can save the wear and tear on your optical drive :)

6. Drjones

Drjones

Yes, my GF is.....but that would be illegal! ;) :whistling:

7. JimmyN

JimmyN

If you pay to watch a movie on cable it's perfectly legal to make a copy of it to view again later. It's not only acceptable, it's expected.

But it's illegal to copy that same movie from a rented DVD to view again later.

So I've always wondered why one is illegal and the other is not.

8. Drjones

Drjones

Because the RIAA decrees it so. :upeyes:

Seriously, the RIAA screwed themselves and their industry so badly by not jumping on the digital bandwagon a looooong time ago, and they continue to hamstring themselves by imposing such ridiculous restrictions on the stuff they produce, as you note above.

9. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

+1

The RIAA and MPAA ain't our friends.

10. Linux3

Linux3

It's the MPAA actually, RIAA is music and Motion Picture Association of America is movies.

As for copying DVDs NOTHING beats k9copy. It copies everything to a dvd or shrinks to a cd or an iso file. Oh, and it's free.

11. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

Interesting, never heard of k9copy before. Thanks for the info. Wonder how they get around the legal restrictions for cracking encryption on copyrighted DVDs.

PS - read that k9copy is only for Linux. I'm assuming the other folks here are on Windows and use DVDFab for Windows.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  12. Drjones

Drjones

Yeah, so k9copy is only for linux?

Booo....... :)

13. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

"dvdshrink" would be the windows equivalent.

google for download link

14. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

yeah i use dvd fab in windows 7. i've got linux in a virtual machine, and my other machine runs linux as the host, but that computer lacks the horse power to rip a dvd. it would probably take 2 days to rip a 5 gig file. lol

15. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

i'm sure it works, but i've had a lot of trouble with dvd shrink working. Although it was a few years ago. Maybe they have improved their software. For now, i'll stick with dvd fab

16. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

What problems have you run into?

I haven't had problems with it since I started using it years ago

17. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

I tried it out (DVD Fab), and I gotta say it IS all that, and a bag of chips. It did things that DVD Decrypter and Handbrake couldn't do.

I am interested in trying out this K9 thing for my linux side of this computer too.

18. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Any dvd will take care of that for you.
    they are in Europe and are not to worried about MPAA and RIAA.

They remove the encryption on the fly. One of my all time favorite programs. with a young child backing up dvd's is a necessity.

19. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

i told ya!

20. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

Yeah i dont remember. I think a lot of the movies i was trying to rip just either would make the program crash, sometimes the mouths were synced up to the voices...Sometimes the film would speed up or get distorted. I dont know, i;m sure all that has changed. But for now dvd fab is the S***