Really need some help here

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Boox, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Boox

Boox Just a Grump

OK, win 7 is done, so I upgraded to win 10 on my HP6644Y desktop, (have win 10 on a laptop and am satisfied). After reading here about linux distro's I decided to try Ubuntu. downloaded it and supposedly set it up to dual boot with win 10. Computer booted into a ubuntu menu with choices for win 10, ok, I guess I can live with that.
    Decided I was not impressed with the ubuntu so I attempted to remove it.
    It would then only boot to a grub screen.
    Finally got the ubuntu restored. Now I want to restore or replace the win 10. My question is how do I do it?

2. MoreMonkeyThanMan

MoreMonkeyThanMan

sounds to me like you need to use the install media to format the disk or partition you use for windows and start over...

were you still trying to dual boot Linux and windows?

I would suggest you use a virtualization client of some kind to futz around in Linux and get used to bash.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

3. Boox

Boox Just a Grump

finally found a way to clear the ubuntu and all is well, so ends my experiment with something other than windows

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Just curious, how long did you try it and what did you not like about it?

It takes time to learn a completely new OS, interface, etc.

5. Boox

Boox Just a Grump

I set it up as a dual boot system, the primary became Ubuntu. Ubuntu took over my whole computer. I am used to Win 10 on this machine as well as my laptop but the windows operations on the desktop were slowed down. Different Ubuntu programs were not a easy for me to find and use and there were no easy ways to remove it. I had it operational for 5 days, then it took 3 days of internet searching before I found a removal solution. Never again!!!

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

It's literally a 10sec fix to make Windows the default boot in a dual boot system.

My guess is had you 1. Actually read up the OS, and 2... Gave it more time.. you would have been fine. You have been using Windows how many years? And you expect to be an expert in Linux in 2 days... Just doesn't work like that.

Sorry it didnt work out for you.

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  7. Boox

Boox Just a Grump

Actually no i was not expecting it to be an easy transition. what I did not expect was that it literally took overall control of my box. Being unfamiliar with it hampered my ability for sure, but while I looked for help on the internet nothing seemed to address the issues I was having. I'm not known for being a patient man and I did not research a better way to get it off my system, I admit that, but the resulting aftermath was not worth the BS. So goodby ubuntu.

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Well, it only did that because you told it to. By default it asks to dual boot when another operating system is detected.

syntaxerrorsix likes this.