close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Really embarrassing question about engine oil

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by targus, Apr 5, 2010.

1. targus

targus

I know you're supposed to change your oil more often if you drive in dusty conditions. If everything else is the same, why is this the case? Especially if you keep your air filter in good condition... I'm not talking about lots of hills, extremely hot temperatures, etc. Just living and driving on well maintained dirt roads that get very dusty when it's dry versus the same roads if they were paved. Is the dust so fine that it gets through the airbox/filter and into the engine oil? Just wondering...

2. Iron bottom

Iron bottom

Probably. I would think that dust particles would have to be very small and light to float in the air.

3. alexanderg23

alexanderg23

no, 3000 miles should be fine

4. targus

targus

Well, I've been using full synthetic in this car since it's first oil change. It has about 120K on its 11 year old clock now (Honda). I've been going about 7K between oil changes w/ filter and never had any problems. In fact, my fuel economy is better now than it has ever been.

Just wanted to know if anything should change now that I moved to an area with a lot of unpaved roads and the associated dusty conditions.

5. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

It can get in the oil. I wouldn't worry about it, though.

6. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

the reason you change your oil is to remove the acid in it not dirt.
    3k is recommend by oil change places because it makes them money not because your car needs it that often. Read your owners manual. My Honda will tell me when to change it. It normally goes 7k and I live on a dirt road. I change mine at 5 k just because it is easy to remember the mileage that way.

7. targus

targus

Uh, how does yours "tell" you when to change it? It is just an idiot light that goes on every so many thousand miles? That's all mine is and it's a fixed interval. I've never paid any attention to it (other than resetting it) because I have my own oil change interval as I've always used a long lasting synthetic like AMSOIL, so don't tell me again to "read the owner's manual". Been there and already done that...

8. goatranch

goatranch

A small amount of dirt gets by the air filter. Dusty conditions can cause more dirt than normal town driving to get into the engine.

Its so funny how everyone is an expert in oil, filters and the like. Just use common sense.

9. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Some cars use a formula based upon miles driven, average speed, etc to calculate when you need to change the oil. It does not work well. As a mechanic I can say that yes, it does make a difference in dusty, dirty conditions. It used to be a standard that in arid sandy environments chrome faced rings were used in an engine for the same purpose. You should see some of the farm truck engines I have pulled apart over the years.

10. Medic3166

Medic3166

Depending on the model... Chevrolet models uses the computer to calculate Engine RPMS, idle times, etc. It can come on at 5000 miles one cycle, and 10,000 miles the next. It's based on how you drive, not a fixed interval.

11. Medic3166

Medic3166

Beat me to it...