Reagan vs Obama

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Eric, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head CLM

Here's one of them hypotheticals. If Ronald Ragan were the man he were, but alive and in his Prince today and coming off several successful terms as governor of CA, could he beat Obama in an presidential election today, in the current political and social climate?

2. 2bgop

2bgop

Many here would call him a RINO and refuse to vote for him.

hooligan74 and wingryder like this.

3. Glockgeezer

Glockgeezer

There are too many voters today who have no knowledge of Reagan the actor & president of the screen actors guild. Also, too many of today's Hollywood stars are such flaming liberals, many would paint all present or former actors with the same brush. Not only do I think he couldn't have been elected POTUS, I doubt he could ever be elected governor of California, the land of fruits & nuts.

4. KWalrad

KWalrad No Wire Hangers!

5. Bruce M

Bruce M

I think he was pretty astute politically and would have tried to get as much capital from some of his successes in California, his service during the war and his record of fighting against communism. I am thinking he may well have been able to win. I do not think Obama was really that strong as a candidate as much as the Republicans did not put up an especially strong opponent.

hooligan74 and Joe! like this.
  6. Deltic

Deltic

I don't think Obama is all that popular with the swing voters now but he did fool them twice before. Putting McCain against Obama was really stupid. I don't know how Reagan would do in the current field of candidates. I have a feeling the media is trying to over report Trump and ignore his competition. Reagan did have a sense of class and charm that went over well. :dunno:

7. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Not sure there are any Reagan Democrats left. Labor (that which still exists) has gone a lot farther left than they were in Reagan's time.

8. Pima Pants

Pima Pants Urine Idiot

I'm moving this thread to Political Issues where it belongs. I've warned you folks about posting political related posts in the Okie Forum.

9. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I believe he could. Reagan could articulate his positions worlds better than McCain or Romney. Reagan would have crushed him in the debates.

mj9mm and hogship like this.
  10. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

It would be a whoopin.I'd vote 3 times for the Gipper.'08. :whistling:

11. moeman

moeman

Well we are on GT... Reagan went anti gun owner in his Governer days, was a Union chief (SAG) and gave Iran the leg up with him being the only president negotiating with terrorists. Weird thing, is even when being the first pres past WW2 to run up the deficit, most people thought he was good due to his "voodoo economics's. His posturing was the final nail in the USSR spending themselves into oblivion.

Obama didn't do anything to fix the mess with Wall Street/ Investment banks that got him elected... A Trojan horse. They own him like most politicians. Claimed transparency but is a master at hiding everything... Weird thing he had more balls going after Osama. People think he is bad for business but the unemployment numbers are now great and Wall Street is way better than when elected. But again, Wall Street at the expense of Main Street and I say this having about 500k in 401k's so I do not Wall Street to tank just not steal by way of bailouts.

So it's a pick you poison proposition. These are politicians so don't be an ideologue unless you want big disappointment.

12. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Negotiation,don't like it.He did save a few points as well as mittens did,the "laws" could have been harsher.'08.

13. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

If he were around today he would get with Billy and go after assault weapons with a vengeance. One hard liner Dem and a soft liner R and....POW..... no assault weapons.

14. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Reagan was elected solely because he was not Jimmy Carter. Hostage masters...

Obama was elected for two reasons... He was not GWB and the novelty or delight of a young half black man. (not to mention a shyteload of stupid voters and PO'd R voters who stayed home... on the other hand McCain????)

One of the two had some experience governing under his belt. Both were full of BS and deemed the lessor of two evils. Deficit spending and deficit spending OMFG!

One asleep at the wheel, the other, Chicago school emperor with a ball-less congress and Marxist agenda.

Thank God we had Tip O Neill running things pretty well in the House, and George Schultz as Secy of State during RonniePops first term.

Boehner? McConnel? Clinton/Kerry? MUAHAHAHAHAHAhahaaaa... we're so hosed

15. Indian 111

Indian 111

Reagan is gone. We wish he were here.

Obama is here. We wish he were gone.

Glockgeezer, mj9mm and WeeWilly like this.
  16. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Well, here's another way to look at it. Let's look at the reelection cycle. Obama couldn't muster up as many votes in his reelection campaign, than McCain got in the first go around. On the other hand, Reagan's reelection was one of the biggest landslides in American presidential election history. So after 4 years of Reagan, American overwhelmingly said we are better off than we were 4 years ago. Obama, not so much.

mj9mm likes this.
  17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Currently, yes, but so could most Republicans. In 2008, no, he was too white.

18. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

I cannot dispute that truthful fact BuckyP... but will add this. Mondale? 13 electoral votes? (I had to look that # up)

The only reason we ended up with slick willie was Perot splitting the R vote IMO as GHB was not doing a bad job IMO again, but did in fact step on his Johnson with the "Read my lips no tax increase", then a D controlled Congress handed him one in order to (ahem) balance the budget... something a good R will or should try to do once in a while... maybe? Maybe even a good D should try that... well, too late now.

What's a few dozen trillion in the hole with interest accruing anyway? Electronic Numbers on a spreadsheet really don't mean much to some folk. Let's pump out another $85B this month with a lackluster economic engine and either blame or rally behind whichever great leader sitting in the WH and lay all blame or credit on him.

Soon to be "Her" or "Hair" unless things change quickly, media-wise.

19. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Bren;

So you think the country has got that whole black president thing out of their system? I don't know, I hope you're right, but I don't know.

Sean

20. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Commies in either or of any skin color need not apply... I hope. Oh yeah, no dopers with criminal records either please.

again, a boy, or old man in my case, can dream... maybe even someone who served and later Governed a State? (while I'm busy dreaming)