Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shellplate and dies on their way, I have managed to separate about 1K cases of 9mm brass from the buckets I have collected. I am waiting on 1K fmj 115 gr bullets from Montana Gold.
The powder I have is W231 and, from what I gather, 4.9 grs seem to be a good middle of the road charge for the 115 gr FMJ. Wanted to run it by you guys before getting started...

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Shellplate and dies on their way, I have managed to separate about 1K cases of 9mm brass from the buckets I have collected. I am waiting on 1K fmj 115 gr bullets from Montana Gold.
The powder I have is W231 and, from what I gather, 4.9 grs seem to be a good middle of the road charge for the 115 gr FMJ. Wanted to run it by you guys before getting started...
Indeed, that is squarely in the middle of the Hodgdon reloading guide for a Soeer bullet. Speer are a different construction than the brass jacketed MG, but that should put you right in there. Load a few 2 tenths below and above that to see what your gun likes.

Normally I like to compare 2-3 sources, but my manuals are boxed up for a move at the moment.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tater!
I'll be trying those in a PPS and a P365... Up until now I have only loaded .45 and .38 so I'm looking forward to 9mm. My experience with MG bullets in those calibers has been great so far...

·
Registered
36,313 Posts
Thanks Tater!
I'll be trying those in a PPS and a P365... Up until now I have only loaded .45 and .38 so I'm looking forward to 9mm. My experience with MG bullets in those calibers has been great so far...
MG makes a nice bullet but kind of pricey for banging steel or paper. Try RMR or Precision Delta. Once you've gone 1000 with jacketed, consider coated bullets for even cheaper shooting. I do prefer heavier bullets; 124, 135, 147 for range wiork.

·
Registered
8,435 Posts
I used to be a MG guy but went to XTreme

Never got used to the brass on brass color

Plus I can put the copper bullets in a factory box where certain ranges say no reloads allowed.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
MG bullets are nice, but they are pricey. At 14 cents a bullet, that's double what you can get coated for.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
W231 should be just fine, 115 grain is great for casual use.

Load a few 15 round ‘test batches’ before going all out. That’s to make sure all is right with your loads. I look for reliable cycling, not needing to be at max pressure.

·
"Old Bill"
2,652 Posts
If that is range brass you have collected be diligent and check it again for Berdan primers. I am STILL breaking the occasional pin because of them!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I used to be a MG guy but went to XTreme

Never got used to the brass on brass color

Plus I can put the copper bullets in a factory box where certain ranges say no reloads allowed.
Amen to the color, it’s kinda weird. I’m glad none of the ranges around here prohibit reloads. The only thing like that at the range I go to is you have to buy their ammo if you’re renting a gun, and that makes perfect sense.

OP, I too suggest you shoot coated bullets. It’s about the only way to save much money reloading 9mm. Well, until prices on 9mm jumped 50% recently due to shortage.

It sounds like you’ve already done some reloading, so you probably already know not to crank out hundreds before you settle on a recipe that works well in your guns. It also sounds like you know not to bother loading at or near the low end of the load data, it’s a waste of components, in my experience.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You didn't mention OAL, but 4.8gr HP-38 (W231) and a 115gr RMR FMJ makes an accurate and factory-ish feeling load for me so you should be fine at 4.9.

·
Registered
36,313 Posts
If that is range brass you have collected be diligent and check it again for Berdan primers. I am STILL breaking the occasional pin because of them!
That & internal stepped cases.

Reactions: Schrag4

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fellow GTers, Thank you very much for your input! You guys help me clarify what I need to do saving me a lot of time and mistakes...
I will definitely look into other options for bullets because I do think I'm spending too much... I paid $0.126 per bullet on 1K of them.
I was thinking about loading some 50 rounds to test before going all out. My W231 is old (about 7 yrs since I opened the jug) and I just want to make sure it works well. I don't want to have to pull too many bullets... Maybe I'll load a bit less this first time.
I am also aware of stepped brass and berdan primers. I will just run my brass through the tumbler and then sort it by headstamp and take out any suspicious brass.
Oh yes, and OAL 1.125"

·
Registered
36,313 Posts
Fellow GTers, Thank you very much for your input! You guys help me clarify what I need to do saving me a lot of time and mistakes...
I will definitely look into other options for bullets because I do think I'm spending too much... I paid $0.126 per bullet on 1K of them.
I was thinking about loading some 50 rounds to test before going all out. My W231 is old (about 7 yrs since I opened the jug) and I just want to make sure it works well. I don't want to have to pull too many bullets... Maybe I'll load a bit less this first time.
I am also aware of stepped brass and berdan primers. I will just run my brass through the tumbler and then sort it by headstamp and take out any suspicious brass.
Oh yes, and OAL 1.125"
Powder stored properly wont go bad. I have a partial 4# of RedDot I last opened in the early 90s. When the 2012-13 shortage hit, I had to go to it for my 45acp ammo when my WST became unobtainable. It produced the same accuracy & vel as it did back then.

·
Registered
36,313 Posts
Haha. You do that too? Glad I’m not the only one.

My mixed nickel and brass colored cases would give me away if they paid attention.
I just avoid such places. They usually tell you that you can't pick up your brass either.

·
Registered
15,071 Posts
I just avoid such places. They usually tell you that you can't pick up your brass either.
They do. But I bring bucket in and pop the ejector rod right into the bucket to save my brass.

There is a reason thugs in the projects call revolvers “shell catchers”.

·
Registered
36,313 Posts
They do. But I bring bucket in and pop the ejector rod right into the bucket to save my brass.

There is a reason thugs in the projects call revolvers “shell catchers”.
I pretty much shun indoor ranges for health reasons & the many idiots that go there. I shoot outdoors at a private club where I can control the people around me in my bay. Plus it allows me holster time & pretty much any training I want to do without a range officer crawling around.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Powder stored properly wont go bad. I have a partial 4# of RedDot I last opened in the early 90s. When the 2012-13 shortage hit, I had to go to it for my 45acp ammo when my WST became unobtainable. It produced the same accuracy & vel as it did back then.
I hope because it's been hard to find powder down here... I have kept it in my garage. Unfortunately, it might get a bit humid at times and back then, I was not hanging Damprids next to my reloading area... I do now and I also open and close the jugs. I transfer some powder to an old jug so I don't have to open the full ones so often.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I also prefer outdoor ranges. I like to shoot little targets I put in the backstop at 50 ft.
I also learned about a range in Homestead where I can draw from concealment and do rapid fire. I'll be checking it out real soon...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts