Reading a classic...

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by casualoffender, Mar 7, 2014.

1. casualoffender

casualoffender JAFO

Moby Dick.
    I had heard it was long and unenjoyable for years. Lately though, I've heard it's an excellent story about having to deal with bad, obsessive leadership...
    I can't imagine why I thought it was time to read the book.
    Dennis Miller talked about it on his radio show; he was right about Atlas Shrugged.

2. JimP

JimP

Moby Dick is one of those books you need to read every year. Once you get four or five reads into it, you'll see all sorts of things about the human condition you never noticed before. pure brilliance on melville's part. Great book.

Detectorist likes this.

3. zastava

zastava

I did like this when i had a period i had to spend some time doing nothing but read books that i could order from a library. (yes u might think prison and insulation and yes thats right, 7months, nuf bout that)
    I asked for some books about history of literature, i read those, wrote down a list of writers and books, from a wide timespan and different kind of books. Books and writers that is concidered classics. I read those.
    I read the bible a couple of times, i read a Swedish translation of the qouran (no, im christian but i like to be educated and that is a hot topic so i like to know what i talk about when to debate islam and religions).
    They must be concidered kinda famous books even thou they are more religous writings.

Read some books about what is classic and on topic for you. I read a lot of Swedish history. Maybe not for you.
    Read a lot about the french revolution.

Do a trip like that and i did like this: first half of the day i read classics, or heavy books. Second half i read regular modern books. In the evenings i wrote letters that i later could send to familymembers and close friends.

All that reading and also the writing i did, and the thinking. A lot of it also came from reading the bible many times, that made me get my life on track again. Old books, u realise that things that matters never change. Hundred of years old books, really got to me. Beacuse they were about love, power, money, family, life and death, friendship.
    Not about iphones and cars.

But the bottomline, reading the old classics that is still famous, for a reason, they GIVE you something.

akela, Atomic Punk and jmohme like this.
  4. janice6

janice6

I have read many classics. Oddly enough I just couldn't force my self to finish "War and Peace". It was like counting granules of sand.

Only book I could not finish. I finished the Bible so I did have perseverance.

5. zastava

zastava

Funny, if youre talking about Leo Tolstoy (might not gett the spelling right), i havent been able to finish one single book.

Have you read any Fjodor? While still at the russian track..

6. janice6

janice6

No. I am sorry to say that the one Russian book I tried to read turned my off on them. I'm probably seriously lacking in my understanding of that segment of literature, but I just couldn't face the thought of another one like it.

I lived a couple of blocks from the college in my home town and my school was on the campus, so I spent many, many days in the college library going through their books. I look back on that as a good time.

7. bdcochran

bdcochran

I cannot distinguish between the books that I have read. However, I will tell a funny about myself. I graduated college early with a couple of degrees. Thought I was smart. Then found a book by Clifton Fadiman, University of Chicago on the 100 best books written. I had read only 6 of the books. never knew about the rest. Bought them all over time. Read them. Even read the complete works of Shakespeare over a summer break in graduate school.

Books are free - thanks to public libraries.

Now, my reading is largely in French.

8. bdcochran

bdcochran

War and Peace. Read it during car commuting. Someone else was driving. Dry. Like counting sand pebbles. Other Russian authors (and more recent ones) are much better.

Gloctapus likes this.
  9. Will Rudy

Will Rudy

It's a whale of a story but I couldn't get hooked. Something fishy about the plot.

Detectorist likes this.
  10. jmohme

jmohme

I read it years ago and remember very little of it. I should probably get a new copy and read it again.

11. Tinimellow

Tinimellow

I like science fiction mostly, but I remember the times I spent reading The Little Prince at school

12. bdcochran

bdcochran

Most recent books, read in French: by Sarte, Camus, The Prince (a very good classic translated into many languages), Candide - writing a critique next week.

13. bdcochran

bdcochran

Death in Venice by Thomas Mann was a quick read. Probably learned 25 new words and ran them through a sounding dictionary.

Ordered the David Luke translations of Faust One and Faust Two. Had wanted to read them in German, but my foreign language reading is devoted to French now. I have 1/2 French classics waiting to be read.

14. ObiJuan

ObiJuan

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018