READ the INSTRUCTIONS…

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ADK_40GLKr, Feb 17, 2020.

1. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

Before you start crying about your G44 not working right. It is NOT quite as immune from abuse as previous models. Glock spent several years developing it, as evidenced by the late "44" model number. I remember Gunny teasing us about it a couple years ago in a video. It's taken a lot of testing and tweaking, but they FINALLY got it marketable, but NOT as indestructible as earlier ones. One of the introductory videos mentioned a "rounds between failures" threshhold they achieved with 230 different brands of .22LR. But to keep it fnctioning, we've got to follow the instructions.

My G 44 was unique among the new Glocks I have gotten.

It had a full printed Users' Manual and a WIRE BRUSH included in the case.

http://id.glock.com/assets/feed-posts/full-21673-294732-DG44plusBrushnManual.jpg

Glock's website has several downloadable documents including a specific BOOK of instructions for the G44 (You can find it here, if you threw away everything that came in the original case:)

https://us.glock.com/en/downloadable-materials

P 26 of the G44 Users/s manual says:

Your GLOCK pistol should be cleaned and lubricated as follows:

1. when brand new, before first time it is fired, plus

2. after each time it is fired, plus

3. as required. This will be determined by your pistol's exposure to adverse conditions during storage or use such as rain, snow, perspiration, salt water, dirt, dust, lint, etc.

Additionally, your pistol should be cleaned and inspected if it has been dropped or if any broken parts are suspected or malfunctions experienced, plus

4. at least every 100 rounds fired ensuring protection against your firearm jamming or losing accuracy.

MNBud, FYRELT and PM720 like this.
  2. 5.4 Shelby

5.4 Shelby

I'm pretty sure my G19.5 says the same thing. I'll look when I get home. I always read the owner's manual of new cars, guns, tools, etc.

3. 5.4 Shelby

5.4 Shelby

It is different. #4 on the G19 says " at least once a year." Doesn't mention the 100 rounds.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Greenbean likes this.
  4. Pistol Pete 10

Pistol Pete 10

The 22LR round is a lot nastier than a centerfire. Add the problem of low quality ammo, stick to CCI Mini-Mag and you will have a better chance of it working most of the time. This is with the Glock or any other semi auto .22. Nature of the beast. Hard to beat a Single Six or a S&W Model 17 for .22 LR handguns. If kept clean the Glock will prolly be 100% with the Mini Mags.

5. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

Interesting, and counter-intuitive that the 44 manual says (and I paraphrase):
    Page 26, clean and lube your brand new pistol...
    Page 28, the copper-colored lube on the slide should not be removed...
    If you did p26... by the time you read to p28, the copper-colored lube would already be removed.

checkyoursix, boilergonzo and PM720 like this.
  6. BOOSTED12A

BOOSTED12A

Odd that this thread showed up. I just watched a Mac video on the 44 against the turaus tx22. Tx22 worked great. The 44, not so much. Hate to say it but I'll be buying the tx22 and waiting for the bugs to be worked out of the 44.

Joshhtn and Terry G like this.
  7. vmann

vmann Controller

I can’t remember the last time I cleaned the 19 I use for gssf...at this point I am worried if I clean it that it will break...lol

PM720 likes this.
  8. Grease Gunner

Grease Gunner

You clean a Glock? Don’t you just toss it into the dishwasher since it’s “shooting Tupperware”???

9. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN

yet another reason G44 is a hard pass

Joshhtn and Snoopy47 like this.
  10. faceplant

faceplant

600 rounds through mine with no cleaning except the initial cleaning.
    I will update when I think it needs cleaning
    People that have no intention of buying this gun are going to nitpick it to justify why they weren't going to buy it.

Buff1968 likes this.
  11. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

I bought the tx22, glad I did.

12. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

Model number has nothing to do with how long they tested it. What does the manual say about the 44 blowing up? Lol yeesh, fanboy much?

100rds?! Even for a 22 thats excessive. I can get through 500+rds with my 22/45 or 10/22 before cleaning.

Joshhtn likes this.
  13. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier NRA Benefactor

When all else fails read the instructions. :drool:

checkyoursix and PM720 like this.
  14. DrewBone

DrewBone

And what's considered "nitpicking" by some is defined as solid reasoning to others.

Joshhtn likes this.
  15. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

man card revoked.jpg

pgg00 likes this.
  16. March817

March817

I know some guys who read instructions, not that there's anything wrong with that.

17. faceplant

faceplant

I cant find anything on the G44 blowing up. Can you point me that way?

I'm at a 1000rds with my 44 with no cleaning.
    I also reload for my center fire glocks even though the manual says not to.

Greg Snyder, PM720 and boilergonzo like this.
  18. DAKA

DAKA

Glock 44 Ruger MK lll which will jam first...
    Last time I cleaned the MK lll was 2500 rounds ago..maybe time.....
    then again...the Glock is probably a lot easier to "clean" (put back together)

PM720 and boilergonzo like this.
  19. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I get that instructions matter, and I do see your point. And I understand Glock has to position this by stating (in print) the parameters. Totally fair, and Glock is not unique in this regard (every gun manual reads in legal CYA mode!).

However, with Glock instructions, when should one fully obey them?

Other Glock manuals (I am looking at my G17, for these quotes) say "Use only high quality commercially manufactured ammunition... the use of reloaded ammunition will void the Glock warranty...".

It also clearly states "Do not carry the pistol in the ready to fire condition. This is not the recommended safe-carrying method for civilian use". It also says "Load live ammunition into pistol only when you are ready to shoot".

It also clearly states it should be cleaned:
    " 2.) at least once a month, plus
    3.) after each time it is fired
    "

Yet folks have bragged for decades how reliable their Glock's were, and how long they can go without cleaning (despite Glock's statements in the User Manual). Is it excessive paranoia and lawyer lingo to provide a protective shield? Or should we obey THESE particular guidelines (and happily ignore all the others that we have historically choosen to ignore) because the G44 truly so fragile that 100 rounds is truly the limit of what the gun was designed to endure?

I agree .22lr is dirty, fussier ammo that traditional Glock's fire, and will need more cleaning (no doubt, and other .22lr's will also get dirty). But Glock clearly states we have to clean the G44 every hundred rounds (which is pretty frequent!). Soooo... at what point do we adhere to ALL of the things Glock puts in their manuals? Can we shoot cast bullets? While I do clean my guns after each range session, I do NOT clean all of them monthly (don't tell Glock!). I also carry my Glock loaded (which the user manual specifically states a civilian should not do, again, please don't tell Glock!).

At some point the mantra of Glock owners of prior decades (it shoots whatever I feed it, it runs and is reliable when dirty, it is safe to carry with a round in the chamber, etc.) has neutered the legal mumbo jumbo Glock puts in their manual. We collectively blatantly disregard it. Some brag about going years without cleaning their guns! To expect everyone to adhere to a 100 round cleaning count given all the historical nonsense in the previous manuals is expecting a LOT of us!

If this .22lr cannot shoot 101 rounds without being cleaned, it will struggle in the marketplace, as that is just not realistic. I think Glock offered that as a legal and product performance defense, just like never carrying with a round in the chamber or cleaning after every range session and at least once a month.

I would love to see everyone who bought a G44 who believes that it is a completely reasonable requirement to have a mandatory cleaning every 100 rounds, and agrees that they will choose to strictly adhere to this printed guideline. Please raise your hand if this will be adopted as your standard maintenance protocol, 100 rounds, stop and clean... always! I am guessing most will choose to ignore that guidance.

By way of comparison, by Ruger tells me my MK needs periodic maintenance "essential to the reliable functioning of any firearm", but does not specify a round count. They do kindly remind me to "Never climb a tree or fence with a loaded firearm", because their lawyers want me to know... But given the Ruger has no "100 Round Rule", what does that say about the expectations of the two companies with regards to their exposure to risk and their feeling of need for added protection from complaints?

It isn't an unbearable hardship to clean after 100 rounds. We can comply. But if it puts the G44 at a severe competitive disadvantage... that certainly isn't ideal for Glock!

I am reading of many on here shooting far beyond 100 rounds without issue. I am chalking the 100 round guidance up to "Gun Company Nonsense". If I am wrong, and the G44 frequently chokes if that threshold is not adhered to, the G44 has major issues looming that will negatively impact its success against other guns in the marketplace. This limitation would be most un-Glock-like. It is the antithesis of what folks have come to expect from Glock.

faceplant likes this.
  20. DAKA

DAKA

G 44 will not be a "self defense" carry weapon, so just take your cleaning kit to the range and clean it.... or only shoot 2 boxes and go home