Reactionary Shooting....are you up for it?

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by V Gehts, Oct 24, 2017.

1. V Gehts

V Gehts

If you live in NW Indiana and feel like driving maybe 15 minutes into a south Chicago suburb,you might be interested.
    So you have a CCW license or are you thinking about getting it?
    In your CCW class,were you allowed to draw from a holster,move an shoot or did you stand behind a table,take aim at a target 10 feet in front of you?
    Draw or learn to draw.....from your CCW holster.....
    Train and drill on an indoor course around make shift walls,doors windows.
    This Local Range (a south of Chicago suburb) by me offers these classes/exercises twice a month.
    I've done this an all I can say is what a superb experience!
    The training and drill course exercises,exhibit real life situations....timed course drills offer the reality.
    WOW.....you don't know what your "capable OF",or "NOT capable OF" until you try this.
    Absolutely NO pressure on you the student. Go at your own pace.
    Prepare yourself and learn...build new skills.
    Friendly,SAFE experience with knowledgeable trainers.
    Can you believe only $50.00 for two hours of FUN...!
    No limit on how many rounds you choose to fire.....double tap or rapid fire...its up to you! Most folks never have or are never allowed to shoot more than one shot without a break in between. You will learn to decide what you think is needed to stop a threat.
    You will always be observed,taught and corrected in a pleasant manner.

MOST OF ALL......Learn,practise and Have FUN!

I am just one happy "Educated" customer and not affiliated or associated in any way of this business.

If interested PM me for Range location information.

My 3rd experience will be this Nov 8 @5pm.

Sample Video of training.

View: https://youtu.be/ZyKwL6fsTyY

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Vodoun da Vinci likes this.
  2. Vodoun da Vinci

Vodoun da Vinci

I'm in Illinois as well and my CCL instructor is active SWAT - lead sniper and tactics trainer as well as a 20 year veteran. We got a lot of "extras" from him which is why I waited and took my training from him. One of the things we did do was draw from concealment and get some live fire time against the timer as well as our 30 round proficiency test.

I have since taken several classes on drawing from concealment and train with a timer in dry fire and on my "Farm" range. Move 'n Shoot is my game and I rarely punch paper or target shoot. I recently became addicted to shooting my AR for accuracy and punching paper and that's a blast. But all of my handgun training is now Move and Shoot from concealment holsters.

Love to drive to Chicago and play with you guys but I'm starting a new job and extra curricular activity will be short until next year. Thanks for the heads up!!

VooDoo

V Gehts likes this.

3. V Gehts

V Gehts

Yep,...Protection and Defense and FUN!

4. mreed911

mreed911 Kool-Aid

This has me confused. In a training scenario you want to shoot enough to stop the threat and move on to the next defensible position or engage the next threat. You also don't want to fire faster than you can hit the target - especially under stress.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, what did you actually mean when you wrote this?

Also:

For introductory training this is fine but if you're going back for the third time you should ask them, specifically, to add some stress. It'll change how you perceive things and how you perform. It's GOOD to work under stress - just like weightlifting - you need to push your boundaries to grow.

5. V Gehts

V Gehts

Well first,they don't just let you go wild.....what ever "you think is necessary" to stop the threat is what's taught.
    Not just one shot and think the threat is over/gone. Many "pistol owners" have never shot multiple shots.
    You are observed during a timed course/drill of your movements/shooting and are corrected.
    YOU ARE NOT....singled out and made fun of.
    You proceed at your own pace/speed. Always in a safe manner.
    Plus many if not most folks are only allowed to fire one shot with a "break" in between shots at most public ranges and almost never allowed to draw from concealed or holster positions.

Stress wise,"YES"....you will perform under an executed/timed exercise.

3rd time.....to continue learning,improve on weaknesses and demonstrate your skills.
    3 days a week a range is setup for this type of training.
    "Practise makes perfect" and you loose what you don't train an practise.

Yes guys.....women (are invited) do take these classes too.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  6. mreed911

mreed911 Kool-Aid

Fair enough. I'm not going to argue with anyone getting more training and practice, especially with skills beyond holes in paper.

If you enjoy this you should REALLY check out competitive shooting. Starting with something low-intensity like GSSF and considering USPSA or IDPA (I prefer USPSA, fewer "do this then that" rules). It's like golf - you get a handicap and you're really only competing against your past-self until/unless you find yourself consistently winning matches.

7. V Gehts

V Gehts

No need to argue.....
    just more of a "heads up" for like minded folks or for those who would have never thought these kind of exercises or training were available to the public.
    And.....at a very reasonable price....

Yes,I'm familiar with those types of competitions and this Range also has these competitions twice monthly.
    I have some "phone" video from last Monday's shoot.
    Problem I have is uploading to a site without 3rd party hosting.

8. mreed911

mreed911 Kool-Aid

Awesome! Hope to possibly shoot with you one day!

As for video uploads, Youtube is pretty straightforward. Their mobile app now pretty solid.

9. V Gehts

V Gehts

Lemme know when your up to it.
    It really is informative,safe,fun and self satisfying.
    I've watched YouTube but,
    I'm one of those "technological idiots"....I'm still learning this simple "cheap azz" smart phone.
    But I can "mix a drink"!