RE-THINKING the Glock 26...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 1892, Sep 12, 2015.

1. 1892

I've been shooting, qualifying, and carrying a Glock 26 since 1996. If pressed I will tell you that the G-26/27 are the best that Glock offers. To prove my point I just recently qualified with my G-26 again for my LE Agency, shot the service pistol course with it (scored in the low 90's). But in order to do so I use the +2 and G-19 Mags, I usually start with the flat Mag at the 3 or 5-yard line (depending how they set up the course of fire) then transition over to the +2 Mag, and finish with a G-19 Mag.

A couple of other LEO's were qualifying with their G-19's, so I decided to re-do the qual with a borrowed G-19 and holster. I shot the course somewhat better (high 90's) and realized that not using different sized Mags was an advantage, in the sense that it was more consistent in feel and grip, slightly more comfortable (YMMV). In the end I had been making my G-26 into a G-19 (and I know many of us do this).

So, I'm re-thinking the G-26, haven't made any decision yet. Also, I recently owned, carried, and sold a G-43 (actually two), but I'm beginning to re-think that lousy decision too. I'm leaning towards a G-19 for EDC and a G-43 for a BUG. My current assignment with my Agency allows me to carry the G-26 as my main side-arm---thinking, thinking, thinking... :wow:

Khalsa likes this.
  2. legion3

legion3

Well my favorite Glock is the G19 -so I find no fault with your thinking there.

I have a G43 which I added the Taran + 1 baseplates making it a 7+1 BUG or a 7+1 EDC, whichever.

I like the G26 too especially with the + 2 base plates. Our qualification required 12 rounds in the mag so several carried the G26 as their sidearm but the vast majority it was the G19.

Can you get all three without getting rid of the G26?

Khalsa likes this.

3. Khalsa

Khalsa

I've also been making the 26 work as a 19 sized pistol and then using it for carry with the flush magazines
    I've also considered getting a 19 for this reason but it just hasn't manifested yet. Because I have been thinking similarly
    If I got the 19 then a 43 could fill the void left by my 26 with flush magazines
    Anyway
    Good thoughts

Speak softly and carry a Glock

4. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

go with the 26, it will allow you to use 17, 19, or 6 magazines. you already use it fairly well, so what ar yo gaining by choosing something else?

5. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

Same timeline of use, always used an extension never used different mags. Your qualifications ,my mandates for competition. I agree close proximation and physical size of 19vs 26 on grip, the obvious differences barrel length. I carry a 26 WITH the extensions in pocket, can do the same with a 30s.

Age has produced a wiser person, but the result is still the same in evaluation. As I continue to downsize and possibly walk away from competition, I may eliminate (2) more 17's and (2) more 30s but will replace them with (2) 33's that will compliment the (3) 26's I have.

I can see comfort in a larger grip, the extensions for me work, Undercutting the trigger guards was the biggest improvement I experienced
    and that Glock knuckle is starting to heal. We must allow ourselves the comfort and confidence of warranted change, confidence and better results will be experienced.

6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

It's all about your grip and how much you think you need that pinky finger on the grip. I have shot several matches, targets out to 25 yards, with a G26, dead stock and factory ammo, followed by a G17 with the same ammo. I score higher with the 26, every time, in spite of using it as a warm-up gun. I use both +2 and flat base magazines for the 26.

If it was just me, that would be one thing, but it is very common for shooters in GSSF to find that they consistently score higher with subcompact Glocks than with compact or full-size, even when they use the subcompact as a warm-up gun. I'd use one for all competition if the grip length didn't make it slow to reload.

Plus, a 19 doesn't fit an ankle holster very well.

Tom Moeller likes this.
  7. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

I would recommend some more testing. Shoot several strings of "Draw, fire 3, reload, fire 3, reload, fire 3" with the G 19, mags all the same and then the same string with the G 26, with the described mags. Do it several times over a week or so. Score divided by time will tell.

8. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

I have tried to replace my G-27, with a 26, and a 30s, but didn't find them any better. I am carrying the wife's 43 as we speak, but only to break in her newest holster.
    So you have a dilemma faced by many of us, which GLOCK is the one?
    My G-23 to me is the best platform, (grip/capacity/accuracy) but the 27 is just more convenient.
    Trial and error over the years ensues, however the take away is to always be armed.

9. The Viking

The Viking

The G 19, 23 and 32 are the best that Glock has to offer. Choose the caliber. With the 23 and 32 you can have both capacity and caliber. With the 19 you have quicker followup shots and maybe better placement plus a pleasant pistol to practice with. Up to you.

10. MattDFW

MattDFW

I owned a G26 for 6 years. Just never warmed up to it. Almost always carry my G19 anyway and shoot it dead on. Sold the G26 and picked up the G43 for those days I wear a suit or sport coat. No regrets on selling off the G26.

11. Photoman642

Photoman642

If you honestly shoot the 19 better and don't need the small size of the 26, then change.

ArmoryDoc likes this.
  12. HGxyz

HGxyz

The gen4 G26 is my favorite Glock. Both speed and accuracy. For my particular hand, the hump hits my palm just right, and I get full even contact with my hand all along the back strap. Extensions and longer mags suck in my book - that's where my little finger should go.

Locust414 and myglockisa23 like this.
  13. Rocky7

You shoot pretty good without extensions, good for you... Never really gave it a chance, competition can steer you the wrong way sometimes.

Davers likes this.
  14. ronin.45

ronin.45

I don't see any benefit of going to a 19 or using 19 mags in the 26. My 26 has always been exceedingly accurate and easy to shoot. I think it even won me two guns at GSSF.

15. dj45

dj45

I use my G26 for CCW, but will be adding a G19 to my small collection very soon. Once I have that and shoot it a little, I'll slap a light on it and it'll be my primary HD/Nightstand/occasional CCW gun. But the G26 is still MUCH easier to conceal.

If I didn't have to conceal it, then I would likely carry the G19 full time.

Understand about the temptation to go G43 and I may get one of those some day, but for now the G26 is my CCW Goldilocks gun.

krankase likes this.
  16. Mister X

Mister X

I'd go with the 19 and use the 26 as a BUG. I'm just not digging the 43 since you lose commonality/mag interchangeability and it's just not all that smaller than the 26. If losing mag commonality, I'd probably use a hammerless j-frame as a duty BUG to gain it's ECQ advantages over a 6 round 9mm.

rock_castle likes this.
  17. myglockisa23

myglockisa23 Silver Member

I'm definitely re-thinking the G26.... traded off one of my Gen 4 G19's for a G26 Gen 4 with 12 round mags.... switch my G19 to bedside and alternate between the 26 and 43 as EDC....

Truth&Balance likes this.
  18. Rocky7

My favorite platform, have three spreading on three floors. Thinking heavily on 33's next.

HGxyz and myglockisa23 like this.
  19. HGxyz

HGxyz

I have "created" a G33 from my gen4 G26, gen3 G27, an OEM gen4 G33 trigger mechanism housing, 357 magazine followers, and OEM G33 barrel. Given the ammo cost (I don't reload like you) and recoil difference I decided to stick with the G26, I do shoot 357 in the G32 and G22 (barrel, follower change) where the recoil is dissipated better, but not very often. I'd be interested to hear your experience if you do go to the G33.

20. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

If you can shoot a 34 with a fancy trigger well, you'll be able to shoot a 26 with a stock trigger well... and a 19 and a 17.