Re-Thinking Best Glock 9mm For IDPA : G34 versus G17 ?

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by ChrisD46, Oct 7, 2019.

1. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

In SSP division it would appear that the G34 (or perhaps the G17) would allow your best chance at scoring well with 9mm... What would be your preference between the G34 and G17 for IDPA SSP and why ?

2. KeithC

KeithC

Over the last ten years, I’ve shot a G34 and a G17 (both Gen 3’s) set up exactly the same (wrt sights, triggers, mag release, slide stop, etc.) in SSP and ESP. I seem to shoot the G34 slightly better. I attribute that to the longer sight radius. Some folks, however, like the G17 better due to faster transitions between targets. I really think it boils down to individual shooter preference. FWIW, in the 2018 IDPA Nationals, the top competition model used (all divisions, not just SSP) was the G34 (17%). 4% of shooters used the G17.

835mag likes this.

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

I have owned several 34s and a few 17Ls, but I always go back to the 17. The sight radius of the longslides does help with distance shots, but only slightly. Overall I prefer the 17.

9MAX likes this.
  4. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

The G34 has no real advantage in IDPA SSP, unless you are in the top 5 Masters at the Nationals. Most shots are within 3-12 yards. The G17L is not legal in IDPA, so it doesn't count. I've shot both a G34 and G17 over many years in IDPA SSP, and still prefer the G17. The real way to know is by running the full classifier with both guns, which I have done several times (the old 90 round version). I am about 2 seconds faster with a G17, 85 seconds versus 87 seconds, with no real difference in accuracy.

SARDG, Bus007 and 9MAX like this.
  5. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

*Thanks for replies - perhaps drawing out of the holster and acquiring targets is faster with the shorter G17 vs. the G34 ?

6. waktasz

waktasz Gamer Scumbag

7. MajorD

MajorD

While I am no idpa master ( though I do shoot well enough to be a gssf master and have even won a gun in master class) I have not seen any significant difference in shooting a 26,19,17 or 34 in my performance. As 9x45 said if you are a top tier competitor and a fraction of a second through multiple stages will be the difference between winning and second place then whatever model gives you that edge is the answer.
    I tallied my gssf scores over several years and there was less than a second difference in my performance average between the different gun models. At my skill level not enough to matter.

8. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Try shooting a 26 vs. a 34 at a USPSA match, I think you’ll notice a difference.

badge315, OdinIII and Shadyscott69 like this.
  9. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

You typically only have 6 stages at any sanctioned IDPA match, and usually one of those is a table start, so draw time is a very tiny fraction of the total. And if you measure your first shot times, at 3 to 7 yards, you will also find that is a very small percentage. Now on a 25 yard head shot, the G34 has a small advantage, but that may only be one target in the whole match. Time is spent (or made up) in transitions and movement. Shooting is 99% the shooter, and 1% gun and gear. You will always be much further ahead by taking competition shooting lessons from a USPSA GM or IDPA Master that getting another gun. Now once you reach 95% in Division classification, you might look at a different gun.

Neldon and fastbolt like this.
  10. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Depends on the perspective. I know some GMs that I can beat with a divisional gear advantage, ie they are shooting production I am shooting open. I’m not talking about the super GMs, but GMs otherwise I couldn’t beat head to head.

Also, I am certain I am gaining more that 1% shooting my Shadow 2 over my G34. It may still only be a single digit gain, but still much greater than 1%.

I will certainly agree that it still mostly comes down to the shooter, but the 99% claim is an exaggeration at best.

checkyoursix and PEC-Memphis like this.
  11. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

No, actually zero required 25 yard head shots in a match.

Maximum required distance for "head sized target or smaller" - 10 yards for scenario stage or 15 for a standards stage.

Club matches are typically six (6) or so stages; by rule: T2 requires at least 8, T3 requires at least 10, T4 requires at least 12 (no min for T5).

DNA likes this.
  12. stavey

stavey

I prefer the 17

13. waktasz

waktasz Gamer Scumbag

Hot take: Everyone who prefers the shorter ones is wrong.

OdinIII and BuckyP like this.
  14. 9MAX

9MAX

Im an Expert in SSP, ESP and Master in CO. B class Limited USPSA. I shoot Glocks in USPSA, IDPA, Bowling Pins, 3 Gun, Steel Challenge. The biggest thing I find between the 17 and 34 is what front sight blade thickness I am using and what color. I run Dawson adjustable and Vogel sights with green fiber optic rods. I find what your eye actually tracks is much more important than a longer sight radius. The 34 can have about a .5oz heavier slide than the 17 ( Not like running a 9mm barrel in a G35 slide that's mega cheater style). So perceived recoil on a follow up shot can seem better especially when running a 13lb recoil spring. Less force on the slide return, making a seemingly smoother (more flat) recoil impulse. The only down side I find with the 34 35 41 is that they feel like a wet noodle running really fast splits in on close steel with power factor ammo and soft recoil springs.

15. waktasz

waktasz Gamer Scumbag

Grip it tighter

16. badge315

badge315

I prefer the factory 3.5 lb. trigger pull of the G34 vs. the 5 lb. trigger pull on the G17...plus, all the cool kids shoot G34s at my club. :supergrin:

ChuteTheMall likes this.
  17. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

It's not actual trigger pull weight, it's the connector weight. Measure it with a trigger pull gage, it will be higher.

SARDG likes this.
  18. fastbolt

fastbolt

This is one of those little nuggets that deserves to be repeated in many a gun enthusiast forum thread ... and repeatedly said to shooting hobbyists who denigrate the value of training classes. ;)

SARDG likes this.
  19. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

WHY?! It utterly ridiculous and nonsensical. I’m not arguing that shooter ability is the majority of it, but 99% is absurd.

20. Rick James45

Rick James45

This is probably all my issue. Can not speak of IDPA, but I own several 34s and 35s along with many other Glocks. I am sure it is my poor grip, but the front sight "twitch" is much greater with my 34/35s. Much less with the 17 and non-existent with my 19s when reviewing video. I am just not gripping the guns as well as I should. Logically the 34/35 should be the heat.