Re-posted from another forum

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Green_Manelishi, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Knicker Knotter

I am amazed at the number of knuckleheads who let their dogs run around, unleashed, with the owner nowhere in site or "worse" think every dog wants to play with their dog.

Here's the scenario:

The Ghillie is running on the beach (herding the surf) while I keep watch over him.

Along comes another dog and owner. The owner sees Ghillie running, unclips his/her dog and says "go play with that other doggie".

After the dog has taken off after Ghillie, yipping/yapping and being a PITA the other dog-owner asks "Does your dog like to play with other dogs."

I reply "He does not."

"Oh? What does he do?"

"He ignores your dog until your dog has become an irritant. Then he turns and says, in doggy talk "Piss off, wanker "

Usually a few seconds later Ghillie bares his teeth, growls and chases the other dog off. It matters not how large or small the other dog is, Ghillie accepts no interference in his work.

Oh, and he's just as uninterested when he is at home in his yard. Neighbors do not bring their dogs to play because The Ghillie has made it clear he is not a playmate he's a work-a-holic. Happily though he "works" well with other BCs and some shelties.

2. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Honestly, this sounds more like a socialization issues with your dog. But, I do agree with you, too many owners let their dogs go off leash way too early and with out proper training.

3. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

i find it comforting and familiar. :)

it's very nice you like Islay scotch too, as it leaves me the sherried..

if you just don't collect blued steel S&W .38's we could be great friends.. ;)

4. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

People are plain ignorant. There are leash laws in place in all 50 states for a reason. We have two dogs in my neighborhood that run free all the time. The people just open the door and let them run around, poop and piss in peoples lawns, bother other dogs through fences/doors/windows, run in the middle of the street, etc...

I've brought both back a couple time because they run up to my front door and start barking at my dogs while they are in my house. It's pretty sad because every time I walk my dogs, these two dogs come running at us. As much as I try I'm fearful my dogs may react one day and harm these loose animals.

The people have had the cops at their door a couple times because of it, but they don't seem to care.

5. Green_Manelishi

Just this morning I was walking The Ghillie and some distance ahead was a little white furball who started yapping and lunging. The Ghillie made nary a sound or move toward the other dog, he just kept walking.

6. Green_Manelishi

Yeah, The Ghillie was not intended to be a playmate for everyone elses numpty dog. The kennels we've used in the past have been very understanding of his indifference to other dogs and that if the others push the issue he will not be submissive.

By sherried, do you refer to The MacAllan? Very nice; it's one of the non-Islay that I enjoy. Auchentoshan is also an enjoyable dram as is Talisker.

No blue steel .38s. No .38s at all. :) I wish I still had the 6" Python though :-(