close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Re-learning B&W

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by hwyhobo, Apr 30, 2006.

1. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

In preparation for a purchase of an SLR, I'm re-learning black & white. Not only the subject matter works differently, but also a lot of post-processing is very different. I am trying to apply it to everyday shots, like hiking. Still a long way for me to go, but I am having a lot of fun learning.

Here they are. This URL should work for a while before I re-organize the pictures again. ;)

Comments are welcome. Tips on B&W post-processing are more than welcome (they're priceless :cool: ). The process right now is as follows:

1. Canon A610 color jpeg
    2. Photoshop fixing basic exposure problems (also color balancing for better B&W conversion)
    3. Photoshop foreground/background differentiation (blurring (hard to use selective focus with a P&S), lightening)
    4. Photoshop B&W conversion. This may use various techniques, channel mixer, B&W gradient, and they could be applied to the same photo differently depending on the area.
    5. Photoshop selective sharpening

2. spober

spober

Thanks for the pictures.Not only technicalY excellent and breathtakingly beautiful but,well ,i lived there growing up from 1967-1976.ive seen most all those places.what a trip down memory lane.i all forget just how magnificent and diverse the California Bay Area is.:shocked:o yes the B&W.im very sure youll be fine.

3. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Thanks for your kind words. I started with B&W photography (too many) years ago. Let's just say that my twin-lens reflex camera was quite modern then. ;)

It took me a long time to make a full circle. Now I am seriously thinking of dropping a wad of money on a 5D just to play with B&W, because it is such a demanding medium, but then, as I get older, I also become more patient. I do find B&W in the end more rewarding than color for most topics (not all, of course).

Bay Area is changing, but there are many reasons to live here despite its insane politics. It's interesting, most of the people I have worked with for the past 20 years have been waaay to the left of me, yet I have almost always been treated quite well despite the fact I never hide my politics. Perhaps they see me as their token "crazy conservative". :smoking:

4. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

A few photos from today's hike in Castle Rock Park:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. General Sherman

General Sherman

"You can run but you can't hide" is so cute.

6. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Thanks. That was during search & rescue exercises. You really cannot get away from those critters. :cool:

7. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

One more addition. This time I modified the process by adding Noise Ninja as a penultimate step to "haze" the distant background.

San Jose at dusk

8. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

One more. I felt this was suitable for B&W because of the simplicity of it:

Slopes of Boccardo

9. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I just browsed thru your gallery. I love the Golden Gate from the rocky coastline :)

That bridge fascinates and intrigues me like no other manmade structure in this world!

10. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

I don't think we could build it these days in the time it was built. Also, the pricetag these days would be astronomical just to cover legal and environmental costs. The evironmental considerations alone would have probably killed the project - intruding onto Marine Headlands with a man-made structure and then running a freeway from there? Not likely. :freak:

Oh, and yes, it does have a certain end-of-worldly atmosphere, particularly when you walk on it during fog.

11. hwyhobo

hwyhobo