close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Re-Assembly question: HELP!

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by earl616, Oct 27, 2011.

1. earl616

earl616

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->[FONT=&quot]This is something that’s been driving me crazy ever since I field-stripped my first auto-loader: in the re-assembly, for practically every gun, the recoil spring guide rod seems to have a very precarious seating to the barrel lug. I’ve never had a problem getting the guide-rod seated properly and all my guns work just fine…BUT what the heck keeps the guide-rod from slipping off the barrel lug during recoil and “snap-back.?” I mean the slide goes thru some pretty aggressive motions, no? ….sorry if this is a stupid question because I overlooked something obvious, but any thoughts would be really appreciated..Thanks[/FONT]

2. Jerry

Jerry Staff Member Moderator Millennium Member

There is no place for it to go, its captive between the barrel and the frame.

3. earl616

earl616

Thanks..that makes sense; sorry for asking a question with an obvious answer.

4. Berto

Berto woo woo

It sucks when that puppy slips off of there while you're getting ready to put the top end back on the frame, ain't it? :supergrin:

5. Jerry

Jerry Staff Member Moderator Millennium Member

That’s how we learn. I had to think about it for a minute myself. :supergrin:

6. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Think about it for another second. Where you place the recoil spring on the barrel for reassembly isn't where it rides during recoil.

7. Khalsa

Khalsa

So it is normal for the guide rod/RSA to slip out of the "half moon" seat to the point where it is just barely situated on the barrel seat? My Gen 2 G21 when I reassemble it, it is seated completely on the half moon barrel lug, after racking it and pulling the trigger and then disassembling it I find the RSA/rod is come off the seat just a tiny bit, it hasn't affected the operation of the gun whatsoever but it has me concerned

Speak softly and carry a Glock

8. Khalsa

Khalsa

The normal place it (the RSA/Guide rod) is supposed to ride during operation is not completely seated into that "half moon lug?" Is that what you're saying?

Speak softly and carry a Glock

9. mtstream

mtstream

It actually doesn't ride on the barrel at all during operation. The half moon on the barrel is just to hold the RSA while you put it back together. Once assembled the RSA is actually sitting against the frame of the gun, not the lug.

It's the force of the RSA against the frame of the gun that controls the slide. The barrel has to be free to drop down during the recoil process.

bambambam and Khalsa like this.