RE 357sig in Gen 11 Glock 23

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by mikegun, Feb 20, 2010.

1. mikegun

mikegun

somewhere i read that a gen 2 glock 23 was not safe shooting 357 sig ammo out of same using a 357 sig conversion barrel, or that certan gen 2 g23s were safe depending on when the g23 was mde, my g23 was made in 1997, how can i tell if it is ok to use a conversion 357sig barrel, thanks for the help.:wavey:

2. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bliksem

The "safe" factor is based onn what Glock used to approve as a caliber conversion. The serial number cut off is CFF-xxx. The way to see if it has all upgrades is metal reinforcement across the front of the frame or front frame rails. You'll need a pic to know what you are looking for. The other upgrades are long rear rails and an extended ejector. The earliest 40 caliber Glocks had none of these features but do have the additional cross pin over the early 9mm frames. The early 40's should be safe with 357 Sig but wear may show a bit sooner. Do not use an early 9mm frame. Glock used to approve caliber conversions for 40 caliber frame from CFF-xxx and newer. Glock no longer approves any caliber conversions, so you are your own no matter how old the frame is. The short 40 caliber ejector usually works for 357 Sig. Glock extended it in case some 357 Sig loads made the slide move faster and an extended ejector help the cases clear the ejection port. These updates are in all 2nd generation 357 Sig Glocks but 40 caliber Glock may not have all of them until about 1998.

3. powermaker

powermaker

i bought a 357 sig barrel for my 23 and havent had any problems. also dropped the 357 sig in my 27 and no problems. note that both guns were bought new after 2005.