Glock 17 Re: 1st gen g17

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bitis, Sep 10, 2004.

Tags:
  1. bitis

bitis

Wondering if I should stay away from getting a 1st gen g17. I have a very used sig p220(.45cal) and am looking to trade it for a g17.Someone has a 1st gen g17 that they are willing to trade. Can a 1st gen take +p ammo, also, do the 1st gen need upgrades. I really don't care about the new gen frames, just wondering if a 1st gen will be as reliable as a 3rd gen.

Thanks,

bitis

2. trozau

trozau troy ounce gold

I have a 1st gen G17 that I bought NIB back in 1988. It is still all original and works as well as it did its first day at the range. No problems with +P or +P+ ;a

3. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

Nothing wrong with a first generation G17. Shooting +P+ ammo is no problem. Even trade for a 220 may be a problem. Does the Glock come with multiple hi caps, night sites, any other goodies to make up for the price difference?

4. DocH

DocH Man of Sorrows

The 1st gen. G17 feels the best in my opinion.It'll take any loads the new ones will take. No difference. The recoil spring is non-captured,which in my opinion is a plus.

5. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

I have 2 1st Gen 17's. One is from I believe '87. I don't want the new models as the 1st feel better in the grip.
    But, if you want to use attachments such as lights and lasers, you need the 3rd Gen frame. Frankly I don't care about those so the 1st Gen fits me.

Don't worry about the ammo in the 1st Gen. There were some upgrades available from Glock but they aren't necessary for the functioning of the gun.