RDS rear dovetail mounting plate

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers and Lighte' started by G-nineteen, Dec 10, 2019.

1. G-nineteen

G-nineteen

I believe a milled slide is best, but that is not an option at this point. So,... I'm considering a mounting plate that replaces the rear sight and fits into dovetail slot.

I probably won't like that the RDS would sit a bit higher.

Regardless, how tough are these mounts?
    Would the impact of thousands of 9mm rounds eventually wear the plate and/or slot loose?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

2. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

I have two Glock 17s with such mounts. Works fine, no issues after several thousand rounds fired with each. These are "range guns." For my "serious" Glock 19 I have a DeltaPoint Pro mounted on a milled slide.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Milled Glock 19 slide with DPP.
    [​IMG]

-JCN-, DJ Niner and G-nineteen like this.

3. Fyrfytr998

Fyrfytr998

There's two styles. The regular plates you slide in. And the plates that slide in, but lock into the back of the pistol to prevent loss of zero side to side.

G-nineteen likes this.
  4. G-nineteen

G-nineteen

Thanks for the pics and info, guys.

Aside from the EGW plates, anyone have other options?

5. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

G-nineteen likes this.
  6. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

What sight are you looking at mounting?

I have two Glocks with Trijicon RMRs, mounted using the Trijicon rear sight dovetail plate. It secures with screws that flare the dovetail insert once installed. This system has been rock-solid over several thousand rounds on one Glock, and coming up on a thousand on the second one.

GlocksWithRMRs.jpg

The Trijicon mount is a bit spendy (as is everything they make), but when you're bolting a $400+ sight to a $500+ pistol, I'd rather use it than the $19.95 PRC mount from a random auction site...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    G-nineteen likes this.
  7. G-nineteen

G-nineteen

Thanks for the info.

I haven't decided on a RDS or what to put it on. Just wanting to know if a dovetail mount was a solid option to try out a RDS before I go all-out and send a slide off to get milled.

8. Fyrfytr998

Fyrfytr998

If you have experience with a milled slide as well, what's the difference in point of aim between the two?

9. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

I've seen a few and shot one, but I don't know for a fact that all milled slides are equal when it comes to the depth of the cut.

With the Trijicon base I'm using, the bottom edge of the sight is 1/8th inch (0.125") above the top of the slide. Add the depth of your milled cut to that, and you'll have the measured difference. Although I'm sure it technically affects the ballistic trajectory and/or zero of a pistol, at handgun distances and accuracy levels, the difference between the two mounting systems is of no consequence. If you can learn to use one, you can learn to use the other; if you can hit with one, you can hit with the other.

Obviously, there is no co-witnessing with iron sights if the rear sight is missing, but some dot sights or bases incorporate a rear iron back-up sight.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Fyrfytr998 likes this.