Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade from my old Rock Chucker. The opening is just a little to short. I like the look of the Rebel but is there any real advantage to the Summit? Or is the moving die just a novelty?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I've owned the Summit. Great press, but would not recommend it as an "only child" single stage. It is very nice to use, particularly seating rifle bullets with the short handle. It can seat some straight ammo.

It is no good for tools that need room on the top of the press like collet pullers and catch cans for bullet sizing and pass through sizing (not unlike a Co-Ax).

The RC gives more precise shoulder bump since there seems to be a touch of deflection in the Summit. Makes sense since the die is not inline with the "ram".

Also, ergonomics seem like there is additional force needed to resize rifle brass. RCBS claims leverage similar or better than the RC. I believe them. The bottom of the handle stroke is more of a push forward rather than push down, so that likely contributes to the perception of greater effort.

That being said, I regret selling the Summit. If I had it back on my bench, I would do the heavy duty work and odd jobs on the RC and use the Summit for seating bullets.

If the choice of a single press came down to the Rebel or Summit, I'd go Rebel.

Of course neither can prime, so something to consider if you prime on press.

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I hand prime but with arthritis getting worse I’m going to a bench primer. I want to see both of them in person but I’m liking the Rebel.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Thanks. I hand prime but with arthritis getting worse I’m going to a bench primer. I want to see both of them in person but I’m liking the Rebel.
One other thing that's nice about the Summit is that primer goo doesn't get on the ram and it collects all spent primers. For those who like to de-cap before cleaning, the Summit with short handle would be a nice experience.

I added a primer catch cup retrofit from Entirely Crimson. It enabled a tube to direct spent primers into the receptacle of choice.

https://entirelycrimson.com/collect...rimer-chute-adapter-for-the-rcbs-summit-press

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,190 Posts
If I were in the need for a SS press I would take a look at the MEC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts