close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

RCBS dies on a Dillon

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by ChaneyD, Feb 26, 2010.

1. ChaneyD

ChaneyD

I've only been a Dillon user for a couple of years now and it's the only loader I have any experience with. My question is this: I have an opportunity to pick a pretty cheap set of RCBS dies and had a question about setup on my Dillon.

Station 3&4 on my 550 is for seating and crimping. I'm told that with other die sets seating and crimping is done with the same die. How would I adjust for more crimp if needed without seating too deep? Are they still independent of each other some how?

Thanks in advance.

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Simply set your seating/crimping die to seat your bullet to the desired OAL. Back out the seating stem, run your round up into the die, turn the die down until you feel it contact the case mouth, drop the round down and turn down your die in small increments, checking the amount of crimp after each adjustment until you achieve your desired crimp.

Lock your die in place, run your round back into the die and turn down your seating stem until it sits against the bullet. Lock the seating stem in place with the lock nut and you're done.

Jack

3. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

What Jack said.

OR

They all sell a seperate crimp die if you like. Lee's is only $12 and most others are in the $20's

4. ChaneyD

ChaneyD

Good to know about the separate crimp. Thanks guys.

5. fredj338

fredj338

I use an older set of RCBS 9mm dies on my 550B. I bought an extra seating/crimping die as Ilike to seat & crimp in separate steps, especially w/ lead bullets.

6. TonyT

TonyT

I have used several 3 die sets (RCBS, Lyman, Lee) on my Dillon 550 by purchasing an additional seating/crimping die for the fourth station

7. dudel

dudel

The only problem you might have with the RCBS dies on a 550b will be the RCBS lock rings.

Just not much space there to tighten them down. Get a pack of Dillion lock rings. They will screw right on and leave plenty of space to to get a wrench in to set and release the dies.

BTW, on the Dillon lock rings, one side is smooth, while the other has some "nubs" on it. I use them with the "nubs" up so as not the scratch up the toolhead.

8. RustySocket

RustySocket

I use RCBS dies on the 550 with the dillon rings. Works fine.

9. fredj338

fredj338

Yep, I did have to replace the lock rings for the 550B.