RCBS decapping rod and LNL

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by GioaJack, Mar 20, 2010.

1. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

I was noticing that while using my LNL's with RCBS dies the spent primer would sometimes stick on the end of the decapping pin and jamb the machines.

It wasn't common enough to be a huge problem but did occur at least once every twenty rounds or so. Took a while to figure out what was causing the jam but once I did the fix was fairly simple... just wiggled the shell plate and the primer freed itself.

For someone with normal intelligence and average attention span it would have been no big deal... for me it was a distraction that was beginning to interfere with my normal loading routine. In addition to placing a bullet on a charged case and inserting an unsized case into the shell plate I still had to worry about keeping track of what was happening on the show I had the tv tuned to... inhale a lungful of smoke from a Marlboro 100, (flip top box, don't wanna crush 'em don't ya know), take a bite of a Dagwood sammich and swig a Diet Pepsi before repeating the loading process. As you can surely see, there is just too much going on to be further hindered by sticking primers.

I tried changing out the decapping pins with new ones and even changing their shape on a stone... both to no avail. The minor irritation had become a major, and personal PITA.

Changing out the sizing dies with Lyman, Dillon and Hornady dies rectified the problem... to an extent. The primers fell out with no problem but the fact still remained that an inanimate object had gotten the better of me... a situation that could not be tolerated.

While browsing through the Midway catalogue that they were nice enough to send me, although I never actually asked for one, I noticed that RCBS sells a spring loaded decapping rod supposedly made for use in progressive presses. Obviously some sort of scam directed at the uninitiated but I figured at eight bucks apiece what did I have to lose... if they didn't work I'd simply sell them to bob2223 for twice what I paid for them or convince C4W that they were the sure-fire cure all for his leading problems and trade him straight across for one of his Glocks.

Received them in the mail the other day and finally got around to using them this afternoon. Bad news... they work as advertised... ran three hundred rounds through one machine and a paltry hundred rounds through the other, (NASCAR was on today, had to concentrate)... not one single hung up primer.

What a shame... I really would have liked a new Glock.:crying:

Jack

2. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

Yep RCBS decapping dies are a pain in you know what. See if you can find a needle bearing. And replace the decapping pin with one of the bearings.Just one of the needle not the hole bearing. Work for me a long time ago. I guess they got the spring loaded recapping pin Idea from Dillon.
    That was the baby league of NASCR racing today. Tomorrow baby tomorrow.
    Hear I thought you couldn’t hit your rear end with both hands at the same time.:tongueout: You lied.:supergrin:

3. norton

norton

Don't feel bad
    I was loading some .17 Remington last night. I put the first resized, de and re primed and powder charged case with bullet on top into my RCBS rockchucker, and the bullet kept hanging up in the die. It would not seat. I tried to 2 or three times, finally unscrewing the die and turned it upside down. What was that thing in the way that would not allow the bullet to enter the die to seat it.
    Oh, it was the de primer. Dummy had the wrong die in the R/C.
    And I wasn't eating a sammich, or watching Nascar, and haven't smoked in years.
    Maybe I should take it up again.

4. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

Hear I was being too thought I was the only one that ever bought a .17 Remington. Have not shot it in years. Bent the RCBS decapping rod on it. And never got a new one. Maybe that is why I have not been shooting it?

5. norton

norton

I bought the Remington 700 on a whim. The original owner fired less then a box of rounds through it. I hardly ever shot it, until I started reloading. Factory ammo was crazy expensive and hard to find.