close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

RBGAN high speed portable satelite modem

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired' started by brook, Jan 12, 2007.

1. brook

brook Shooter

I have a satellite modem that's for sale.

Used it on an Everest expedition in '05 for keeping the homefront up to date through e-mail and internet postings from basecamp.

I have no use for it now. I'm back in college full time and won't be going back over there for several years.

Paid a WHOLE LOT for it, but I'm only asking $150 obo. It still works beautifully and the battery holds a charge for several hours if not days. In addition to LAN cable connections, this modem has bluetooth built in and can be used with PDAs.

It definitely has a cool story.

FREE American Everest Expedition T-shirt to whoever purchases it.

I'll Even throw in a team patch. (there were only 50 made).

Let me know.

Thanks,
    Brook

2. tenholewheels

tenholewheels

how does it work? do you need to subscribe to some satellite internet company or ? this is i think something i need for my travels. contact me at mopar74@bellsouth.net thanks wayne

3. brook

brook Shooter

4. blaster668

blaster668

5. brook

brook Shooter

It's quite simple to use.

They take a prepaid sim card, similar to prepaid cell phones. Except you can recharge them over the internet while in the field, making it super easy to deal with. You pay per megabyte of data. But for sending e-mails and simple webbrowsing a 100 megabyte card will last a long time. There is an interface that lets you know how much data has been transferred and how much is remaining on the card.

They connect to your laptop via a LAN cable and your computer will recognize the modem just a regular LAN connection.

It is cordless and smaller and ligher than a laptop.

The modem is also bluetooth enabled, so you can use a PDA with it to send e-mails and such. PDA's are also more reliable in the field at higher altitudes, since the harddrives can be effected by extreme altitudes (>17,000ft).

Since you only pay for data transferred, you can keep it turned on for hours, just like a high speed internet connection at home, incase your waiting for an important e-mail to come through. I'd often use it like a mobile office while traveling in Nepal and Tibet.

There is also a way to use it as a phone, and you can plug a fax machine into it, but I have never tried these options, since I had a seperate sat phone and fax system.

I used this modem to updload to the FTP server for my company's website, send e-mails with pictures, movies and spreadsheets, even downloaded virus updates for my antivirus software -- Literally anything a standard highspeed connection can do.

6. Tampico

Tampico G37/G38

Never mind, I googled it.

Not much use in N. Minnesota...

7. brook

brook Shooter

It used to be blocked for use in the Cont. US. However, they were supposed to lift the ban.

I used it in Asia and South America