close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Raystown Lake, PA

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by WFR, May 4, 2003.

1. WFR

WFR

I know there are a lot of PA GTers here.
    Does anyone here fish this lake?
    I'm going with a coworker on Tue and trying to get some idea of what kind of fishing I'll be getting into.
    It's a deep lake and holds stripers, walleye, smallmouth, crappie, etc. I'd just like to know how to approach it this time of year.
    Thanks!

2. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

3. WFR

WFR

Thanks Dave!
    We're going in the AM so I'll let you know how we do!
    I'm ready to enjoy a day on the lake. If we catch any fish that's just an added bonus!

4. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

WFR-
    A buddy has a big powerboat on Raystown; it is a lovely lake, nestled in its hills. This early in the season, you should have the place to yourself.
    Can't speak to the sportfishing there, but the carp are absolutely amazing. They are so big that I have advised my buddy he should have a 'Y-gun' on the poop of his cruiser. That way he can depth charge the big devils. Ka-Boom!
    Enjoy your stay; here,it's still Penns' Woods.
    Best,
    Moon

5. WFR

WFR

Raystown Lake is AWESOME!
    It was absolutely beautiful out there today! All the trees were in bloom and the skies were blue after lunch. I love the fact that there are no houses or other developments along the lake.
    All this and we caught some fish too!
    My first cast with my new St. Croix Avid 6'6" light action rod landed me a 1.5 lb smallmouth! Caught it on a minnow.
    Caught several more smallies and lots of rock bass.
    Caught a rather large smallmouth and got him right to the edge of the boat only to have him break off. 5 minutes later, casted in the same spot and caught the same fish. He still had the other hook in his mouth. Put up a good fight the 2nd time but wasn't as strong as the first time I caught him. He weighed nearly 3 lbs!
    And yes, I did manage to catch one of those darn carp. I thought I had a monstrous smallmouth on but it ended up being a 6-7 lb. carp.
    Overall, it was a great day on the lake. I will definitely fish that lake again, soon.

6. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

There are plenty of houses at Raystown Lake. Most of them are at the bottom!:)

Glad ya had a good day fishing;f

7. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

DML-
    You are right, of course. A buddy's family had a camp there when the first, smaller dam existed. It, and some other little towns, are now under water.
    Yock Lake, when there is a hard drought or when they draw the lake way down, will expose foundations and a bridge over the original streambed.
    Best,
    Moon

8. G Man .40

G Man .40 13 .40 + 1=G23

You approach this with a case of beer!

9. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

All-
    How many of MANkind's activities are just an excuse to enjoy a cold one?
    Best
    Moon