Rattle Can Paint and Clear Coat

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Adjuster, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Adjuster

Adjuster

Today I painted a gas tank with several coats of gloss black and several coats of clear. Came out great but there are a few dust imperfections that got in the clear coat. If they are still visible in about a week after complete cure what do I need to hit it with to try and knock down the imperfections? Would a clay bar do it or something like 2000 grit wet/sand? I just want to knock them down flat. I don't want to respray or buff and polish or anything like that.

/

2. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

Even with 2000 or 3000 grit sandpaper you still will have to do some light compound and polish to get out the light scratches. I am guessing that this is auto store clear coat as well.

Go onto 3Ms website as they have some instructional videos that will help.

inthefrey likes this.

3. kiole

kiole

Without buffing and polishing you won't be able to get them out. You'd start with 3000 grit wet sandpaper and if they don't come out move up to 2000. You'll have to polish out the scratches from sanding. If they're too deep in the clear coat you won't be able to get them out without a respray.

inthefrey likes this.
  4. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

Like the other posts - 3 or 4K grit wet sanding. NO DREMMILS!!! Chill surface ice before you start. NO kidding! No matter how much you think it has cured, it hasn't. Any heat will soften it and you'll be painting it again. Tiny circular motions, rinse and repeat. wax, buff.

5. Cclass

Cclass CLM

6. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

You can get the 3M Perfect It in packets of a few ounces, versus buying a whole bottle. I have about 8 bottles of various 3M Rubbing Compound liquid products (like Perfect It II, Swirl Mark Dark/Light, etc. etc.), they all have a few ounces out of them... :)

7. janice6

janice6

I have painted many cars and the most work in painting is eliminating dust before/during/after the paint job. Straining out particles from the paint prior to spraying is crucial.

With a can, you can't do this so you have to clean it up afterwards. Dust in the air while spraying is a significant problem.

In the end you polish the finish to get an even gloss and polish scratches out.

You should have checked the color coat for dust prior to clear coat, then check again.

That said:
    You will have to do what is recommended above, and it may not be perfect.

Wet sanding is done to prevent heating the paint while sanding, and to help carry particles away so they don't get between the abrasive and paint and cut new scratches.

Older Lacquer finishes require color sanding to smooth them out prior to clear coats then sanding again. Final buffing is normal.

8. plp

plp

Old redneck trick, from an old redneck. Mix just enough water into a small amount of Ajax or Comet Cleanser to make a paste, then buff the area you want to knock down. This was my dad's answer to rubbing compound, buffed out many an oxidized paint job on old cars with that. You want to use a wax on/ wax off circular motion to avoid scratch marks.

9. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

Side note; Redneck car painter in our little town had a nice shed to paint in. Before any paint job, he would hose down entire paint area ceiling etc. with water. After dripping would stop, he would paint. Turned out some pretty good paint jobs. This was years ago.