close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rattle Can Camo

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Cheese, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Cheese

Cheese and Guns

Anyone rattle can a camo job on their rifle (or handgun for that matter)?

I've been researching for a while (to paint my Rem 700 - see my avatar), but am wondering if any of you out there have any tips, experiences, pics, etc, etc.

I'd love to do a MultiCam pattern, but I'm not sure where to get good, durable paint that's also extremely flat and comes in the required variety of colors.

So if anyone has any paint brand recommendations too, that would be very helpful.

2. RobarGuns

RobarGuns

Over the counter spray paint can result in a passable camo finish for your rifle; I've seen many PD issue rifles come through our shop with "Krylon Camo" finishes. Such a finish will not be as durable as most professional camo jobs which utilize commecial grade coatings/paint that is generally not available to the public but tends to hold up a bit better. Also, some of the new multi-cam patterns are being applied with a film transfer process that alllows for more detail and a smaller pattern than would be obtainable with any spray process.

The single most important thing in applying any finish is the surface preparation - it must be completely free of any oil, dust, dirt, etc. Then use the best quality paint you can find. We have no first hand experience with them, but Brownells offers some camo paints & products that should be a good place to start. Be sure to get a product or products that are compatible with the metal as well as the stock material. Please let us know if we can offer any further advice.

Good luck with your project, be sure to post some pictures when your done!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010

3. PAPACHUCK

PAPACHUCK

A couple of my KrylonKamo backyard paint jobs;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far the finish is holding up. The paint used is the camo stuff wallyworld sells.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  4. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I like the job on the SKS.

5. whiskey rebel1

whiskey rebel1

Some paint will show for miles using N.V.D.... Gen 3 or 4...If that is a concern have someone with said N.V.D. check it out for you

6. Mr Kodiak

Mr Kodiak

Duracoat is excellent, however, you will need an airbrush to apply the nonbake on coat but believe me it is well worth it!

I suggest using google to find a coater or post a thread (or search for one) asking if anybody provides camo duracoating services.

7. myesque

myesque

Which one? :whistling: