Glock Talk banner
81 - 100 of 147 Posts
Just a note in passing. I am very happy that my original thought this would be a poor subject for a thread turns out to have been quite wrong. Thanks for all the excellent commentary and, at least to me, thought provoking examples!

Discussion starter · #82 ·
My intent in providing this example was not to get an answer, but rather to show the OP that law enforcement is all about the "gray zone." Good, seasoned cops walk the line well. Anyone can work in the black and white.
I understand the Gray more than you may think. I am however, not talking about issues involving civies. This is only related to allowing officers to continue to murder innocent people and plant weapons to justify it and the such, as one poster said he was witness to in his "short career" in LE. That is what this thread is about. IF what he says really happened (I doubt it), where would you classify him? WHY would someone give up his job to allow it to continue without so much as filing a complaint.

USAFE7 said:
IF what he says really happened (I doubt it), where would you classify him?
As an accomplice after the fact.

Yes, the court appointed repossessor absolutely had a legal right to look. And after he looks and says, "oh officer, there appear to be drugs in here" the LEO would have to arrest her. No question.

The gray area is, do you cut the repossessor off at the pass, and say something like "well, she's getting evicted from her home today. That's enough trouble for one day."

Technically, that would be corruption.
That would be laziness.

One of our guys spent 30 minutes talking a lady out of a report that would have taken 20 minutes to write.

Dunno, might be. But one thing I've learned is that trusting the press is stupid. Trusting the press whose sole source is the allegations in a criminal case against someone is really stupid. Since this blogger managed to include quotes in the allegations in a civil suit, by the ACLU....yeah, I'll wait for things to shake out a bit more.

Oh, I forgot: Even if everything alleged is precisely true, with nary a hint of exaggeration....do you think the criminal case against the two was made without any input from other cops?

Discussion starter · #87 · (Edited)
Dunno, might be. But one thing I've learned is that trusting the press is stupid. Trusting the press whose sole source is the allegations in a criminal case against someone is really stupid. Since this blogger managed to include quotes in the allegations in a civil suit, by the ACLU....yeah, I'll wait for things to shake out a bit more.

Oh, I forgot: Even if everything alleged is precisely true, with nary a hint of exaggeration....do you think the criminal case against the two was made without any input from other cops?
:cool: Good call and no....which was my point. If something was going to get covered up...I would think this would be it.

I understand the Gray more than you may think. I am however, not talking about issues involving civies. This is only related to allowing officers to continue to murder innocent people and plant weapons to justify it and the such, as one poster said he was witness to in his "short career" in LE. That is what this thread is about. IF what he says really happened (I doubt it), where would you classify him? WHY would someone give up his job to allow it to continue without so much as filing a complaint.
I guess I'm not following you then. You're asking police officers to make split second decisions and to make interpretations of the law that the highest court in the land often takes YEARS to grapple with. In reading the article, I am getting the version of a story as printed by a newspaper. In the real world, nothing is cut and dry, and that would be the case even in this story. I was not there. I do not know what was going through the minds of the officers, and that's what were getting at, mens rea.

Discussion starter · #90 ·
I guess I'm not following you then. You're asking police officers to make split second decisions and to make interpretations of the law that the highest court in the land often takes YEARS to grapple with. In reading the article, I am getting the version of a story as printed by a newspaper. In the real world, nothing is cut and dry, and that would be the case even in this story. I was not there. I do not know what was going through the minds of the officers, and that's what were getting at, mens rea.

SAR...I guess I'm trying to cover every angle he might respond from. He is of mostly negative comments and bases them off of his LE career...months not years. So in posting that link and asking that simple question, I was able to get a good answer without leading, allowing someone to post their thoughts and not a "canned" one. The thread the comments were made in was deleted but there are a few that saw them. I want to bring all his BS into bright light to either have him admit it was a lie OR admit he is as dirty as the ones he witnessed.

SAR,

Ill help out, as you seemed to have missed the poster in question. Tacho gunworks aleged that he was a reserve in LA for some agency for around three years. During that time, he allegedly saw officer commit murders, throw down drop guns, plant dope, etc.

So, the OP is questioning that in here, in a public way...basically calling out the ****** that is tacho gunwirks. And hopefully, we can help his business along, by showing all the police type down his way how he really feels about cops. Dragoon figured out his company, and who he is.

That would be laziness.

One of our guys spent 30 minutes talking a lady out of a report that would have taken 20 minutes to write.
Laziness? Corruption? I'll be first to admit its easy to become lazy, take shortcuts, and end up charged with failure to take police action or corruption.

The gray areas are problematic and judgement calls can be very bad for one's career.

SAR,

Ill help out, as you seemed to have missed the poster in question. Tacho gunworks aleged that he was a reserve in LA for some agency for around three years. During that time, he allegedly saw officer commit murders, throw down drop guns, plant dope, etc.

So, the OP is questioning that in here, in a public way...basically calling out the ****** that is tacho gunwirks. And hopefully, we can help his business along, by showing all the police type down his way how he really feels about cops. Dragoon figured out his company, and who he is.
If he saw these things, I would ask that he cite the specific cases, because it would be easy to prove him right, especially if the officers were fired/indicted. If he saw these things and kept his mouth shut, he is nothing more than an accomplice. If he wants to set the record straight, let him name names.

If he saw these things, I would ask that he cite the specific cases, because it would be easy to prove him right, especially if the officers were fired/indicted. If he saw these things and kept his mouth shut, he is nothing more than an accomplice. If he wants to set the record straight, let him name names.
He says that while he has plenty of time to make the accusation he doesn't have the time or inclination to prove them.

So basically he is full of ****e!
Yeah and since he is located in Texas I am guessing he probably picked LA because he thought LAPD was large enough that no one could prove or disprove he was not a reservist there.

Yeah and since he is located in Texas I am guessing he probably picked LA because he thought LAPD was large enough that no one could prove or disprove he was not a reservist there.
Going thru his previous posts, he says a lot of things. He's heavily involved in the TEA party, seemingly on the national level. He's a physicist who works in the auto industry, again very "inside". He also has a very poor attitude towards folks, and somehow thinks a G26 is a sissy gun....even though im betting he wouldn't volunteer to be a target holder for someone shooting one.

He seems to be a general.d-bag....

Going thru his previous posts, he says a lot of things. He's heavily involved in the TEA party, seemingly on the national level. He's a physicist who works in the auto industry, again very "inside". He also has a very poor attitude towards folks, and somehow thinks a G26 is a sissy gun....even though im betting he wouldn't volunteer to be a target holder for someone shooting one.

He seems to be a general.d-bag....
And he claims his Los Angeles Experience was many years ago, quite a lot of accomplishments for someone who pic looks like late twenties earlier thirties tops.

And he claims his Los Angeles Experience was many years ago, quite a lot of accomplishments for someone who pic looks like late twenties earlier thirties tops.
Well, perhaps he was a reserve or maybe he wasn't. One of the biggest problems we have locally in this vein are the perceptions of our brother law enforcement officers who have very little experience. I am referring to police officers with less than five years on the job, and yes, reserves who work one weekend a month.

I cannot tell you the number of times, a veteran officer was "ratted out" by his boot, only to find out it was the rookie's own misconceptions about law enforcement that skewed the facts in his mind. What a rookie sees as egregious law enforcement behavior is not necessarily that. How many actual shootings was the "supposed" reserve in during his time in LA? I am here to tell you that one who has never experienced one has very little knowledge of protocol himself.

Let me tell you one actual example. A few years ago, in the aftermath of an officer involved shooting with hits, one of the officers grabbed the suspects gun for safekeeping. Nothing wrong with that. Along comes another officer, who starts freaking out and says, "oh man, you just screwed up the OIS scene!!!!!" So the officer puts the gun back where he found it on the ground. A witness sees the first officer putting the gun on the ground. There was no ill intent of either officer, but both officers had less than five years on the job and had no evil intent whatsoever. Yet, you can imagine the controversy that resulted. The correct thing would have been officer number one retaining the weapon and then explaining to investigators that he removed it for safety reasons. To remove the gun, then put it back just smacked of planting a weapon in the eyes of all involved. Gray area? YOU BET.

Nothing. For all you know, she may have a box of Tampons in the bag and at this point, "discovery" by the suspicious repossessor would be tainted anyway.
In your last response to me, you posted that you were going to bury me so deep on your "ignore" list that you would never see my posts again. So what happened? Couldn't keep away from my sweetness, could you? :)

Anyway, a LEO doing nothing is the worst of all possibilities. Especially if there is a crowd watching.

A LEO needs to be guided by the old Libyian saying: "Make a decision. It may be a good decision. It may be a bad decision. But make a decision."

81 - 100 of 147 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.