GlockTalk Forum banner

What's your ammo stash philosophy?

• I'm not shooting until I can replace it.

• I'm shooting the bare minimum to retain some competency and trying to replenish despite the cost.

• I'm rationing my current supply to be depleted in a year.

• I'm rationing my current supply to be depleted in two years.

• I'm rationing my current supply to be depleted in three years.

• I'm going to take up archery or golf.

• I have so much ammo that I haven't changed my shooting patterns at all.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I find it odd how many shooters actually believe that their skills are going to evaporate if they do not shoot often and regularly.

Perishable? Sure.. but lets not be overly dramatic.

Sure you might lose .2-.3 of a second or a few millimeters but hardly anything that is going to cause you to lose a gunfight that you would otherwise have won. Its just not that deep in my humble opinion.

Training is good and of course we should train but lets be realistic. If you didnt shoot your EDC for the next few years, you are not likely to lose any concerning level of skill if you have actually developed it reasonably well to being with. Could you measure an absolute loss in skill with a micrometer? Probably. Do I consider that worth worrying about? Nope

I have adopted a quarterly training schedule for probably the past decade. 4 times a year I will go out run my gun. At 4 times a year I would consider that overkill in regards to maintaining competence with my EDC. Dont get me wrong, I am a proponent of keeping the rust off. That said, all this covid has keep me home and I have not trained since Feb. I aint worried in the least.
I completely agree with you FireForged. I get out every other year or so and have seen no deterioration in timed draw & shoots - 3 shots @ 3 yrds in 3 seconds, while moving. All were center mass (with a few heads shots thrown in) for the last practice evolution with my snub. If guys want too train like a Navy SEAL, that's fine. It all comes down to how you perform when it's showtime. Scott Norwood, of the Buffalo Bills, practiced kicking a lot of 43 yd field goals for his whole life, but didn't hit it when the SuperBowl was on the line. Drawing the gun, pointing, and pulling the trigger to hit a target a few times is not something I find particularly difficult. I have always felt the psychological mind set for a self defense shooting is the key; not necessarily firing thousands of rounds a year. To each his own; everyone should do what they think will help them achieve a successful outcome.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
I am still shooting every week, but I am definitely lowering my round counts.

I have started doing some drills that have very limited round counts and give lots of repetitions on all the core fundamentals. Accuracy, multiple targets, speed, reloads, and drawing and re-securing.

One of the main drills I have been been doing is using a shot timer to draw, engage one target, reload, engage target 2 and target 1. Three rounds per rep and hits all the fundamentals.

I have about 7k small pistol primers left. I’m still reloading like normal, just shooting less and stashing the extra away for a rainy day.

There is nothing I can do about the primer situation. I guess I’ll just keep rationing and shooting like I am until primers become available again.

·
Millenium #3936
6,307 Posts
I completely agree with you FireForged. I get out every other year or so and have seen no deterioration in timed draw & shoots - 3 shots @ 3 yrds in 3 seconds, while moving. All were center mass (with a few heads shots thrown in) for the last practice evolution with my snub. If guys want too train like a Navy SEAL, that's fine. It all comes down to how you perform when it's showtime. Scott Norwood, of the Buffalo Bills, practiced kicking a lot of 43 yd field goals for his whole life, but didn't hit it when the SuperBowl was on the line. Drawing the gun, pointing, and pulling the trigger to hit a target a few times is not something I find particularly difficult. I have always felt the psychological mind set for a self defense shooting is the key; not necessarily firing thousands of rounds a year.
Exactly.. some people "get it".

If a person with decent armed fighting skills loses a gunfight, its not likely to be because they have not trained in the past 12-13 or 20 months.

The real problem is that a good many people fancy themselves as a decent fighter when really, they arnt. I know plenty of so called "elite marksman" who know little of nothing about actually fighting with a gun. Tactics and Strategics can make up for alot of things that a person might lack in the absolute accuracy department but it does not often work the other way around. This is (of course) assuming that the person has decent/average/acceptable accuracy skills to begin with. I tell people to focus on achieving decent skills which are actually relevant to a real fight, hone those skill in the proper training context and dont worry so much about putting thousands of rounds down range each year. You might do that initially but keeping the rust off doesnt really require all that much maintenance once you get there.

My goal is to be a competent fighter and not to shoot a jelly bean off a golf tee at 25 yards. A few millimeters might matter if you are shooting a jelly bean but not so much if you are gunfight with a thug. If your goal is to be so accurate to shoot a jelly bean.. ok, I guess you need to live fire train constantly and dry fire 2 hours a day.

Speaking just for myself, I do not have some sort of gunman, gunfighter, guntoter persona that I am trying to live up to. There is nothing special about me and I have always felt that most anybody can be a decent defender if they have the necessary mental grit. The whole gun handling thing isnt really the issue in my estimation, a little kid can do it. Its mental grit, emotional control, knowledge and judgment which is generally the issues that befall people.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The whole gun handling thing isnt really the issue in my estimation, a little kid can do it. Its mental grit, emotional control, knowledge and judgment which is generally the issues that befall people.
When to shoot, when not to shoot, who to shoot first, when to make a move, ... lots more than pointing the gun and firing rounds! The game is played out in the mind.
Most often they were "No Shoot' scenarios on the Hogan's Alley course!

·
Registered
31,069 Posts
Going to do more dry firing and reloading. I have. 357/.38 dies. I just need a turret press. Thinking of getting .45 and 9 too.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
I took some 9mm reloads out to the range today and blasted away. Felt wasteful afterwards, but dammit it was nice to do some shooting.

These reloads cost me 11 cents each, so quite affordable, but primers are not able to be replenished right now.

I probably won’t just blast away like that for a long time, but I needed some stress relief. I shot about 250 rounds. Significantly more than the typical 50 rounds per session I have been shooting recently.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I took some 9mm reloads out to the range today and blasted away. Felt wasteful afterwards, but dammit it was nice to do some shooting.

These reloads cost me 11 cents each, so quite affordable, but primers are not able to be replenished right now.

I probably won’t just blast away like that for a long time, but I needed some stress relief. I shot about 250 rounds. Significantly more than the typical 50 rounds per session I have been shooting recently.
Yeah, I've been focusing down on 50-100 per trip with specific goals instead of bringing 3-500 and just blasting away with whatever drill or idea that tickles my fancy.

·
Registered
13,036 Posts
I find it odd how many shooters actually believe that their skills are going to evaporate if they do not shoot often and regularly.

Perishable? Sure.. but lets not be overly dramatic.

Sure you might lose .2-.3 of a second or a few millimeters but hardly anything that is going to cause you to lose a gunfight that you would otherwise have won. Its just not that deep in my humble opinion.

Training is good and of course we should train but lets be realistic. If you didnt shoot your EDC for the next few years, you are not likely to lose any concerning level of skill if you have actually developed it reasonably well to being with. Could you measure an absolute loss in skill with a micrometer? Probably. Do I consider that worth worrying about? Nope

I have adopted a quarterly training schedule for probably the past decade. 4 times a year I will go out run my gun. At 4 times a year I would consider that overkill in regards to maintaining competence with my EDC. Dont get me wrong, I am a proponent of keeping the rust off. That said, all this covid has keep me home and I have not trained since Feb. I aint worried in the least.
Agreed. I would add that plinking at the range is not real training, and does little or nothing by way of making an experienced shooter better in a gun fight. It’s good for familiarizing new shooters.

Reactions: FireForged

·
Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
8,529 Posts
Interesting thread with replies that mimic the Political Forum.

Practicing and or enjoying what you are doing involves Preparation and Planning, nothing earth-shattering or revealing. One can try to put to paper or be honest what you text to oneself.

Personally I enjoy my time on the range, I do not worry about excuses.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I Was Shooting 2 to the head 1 to the chest .With my mp 22 lr 100 RDS.When a young lady asked why ? I said muscle memory .Then I shot My MP40C .Same drill bot with 10 rounds. She said now i understand .With a SMILE

·
NRA Benefactor
5,288 Posts
I'm only shooting to maintain competency and for qualifications. Typically I keep a year's expected supply (practice and matches) on hand and replenish it as I use it so I was good at the beginning of the year. A lot of matches were cancelled so that saved some ammo as I only ended up shooting in one match this year. I moved in March and ranges aren't as available or as economical as my previous residence so I didn't get to practice as often.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts