GlockTalk Forum banner

What's your ammo stash philosophy?

• I'm not shooting until I can replace it.

• I'm shooting the bare minimum to retain some competency and trying to replenish despite the cost.

• I'm rationing my current supply to be depleted in a year.

• I'm rationing my current supply to be depleted in two years.

• I'm rationing my current supply to be depleted in three years.

• I'm going to take up archery or golf.

• I have so much ammo that I haven't changed my shooting patterns at all.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Your comments are greatly appreciated.
welcome to the site, and the hobby. I suspect you will succumb, like most, to an unrelenting obsession for about 2 years before it tapers some. you'll spend $ you didn't know you have, and then money you don't have. you will want to get every caliber in the books. want an AR (idk what MD laws are). a shotgun. etc. get your basics established and take a breather.

you did pick a crummy time to get in. but what matters is you got in. and hopefully you vote. It is easy to believe, if you hang out here enough, that CIA will be at your door step Jan. 20th next year to round up your stuff and haul you to the clink. I got into reloading at a crummy time, during the last component shortage. but here I am 5 yrs later with years worth of supplies.

be patient, wait it out, let's see what happens. when (or if) things return to "normal" get yourself situated. buy incrementally. stockpiles do not happen with one $7,000 credit card purchase, they are usually built a $100 at a time when things pop up. best of luck and enjoy the site.

·
Registered
77 Posts
welcome to the site, and the hobby. I suspect you will succumb, like most, to an unrelenting obsession for about 2 years before it tapers some. you'll spend $ you didn't know you have, and then money you don't have. you will want to get every caliber in the books. want an AR (idk what MD laws are). a shotgun. etc. get your basics established and take a breather.

you did pick a crummy time to get in. but what matters is you got in. and hopefully you vote. It is easy to believe, if you hang out here enough, that CIA will be at your door step Jan. 20th next year to round up your stuff and haul you to the clink. I got into reloading at a crummy time, during the last component shortage. but here I am 5 yrs later with years worth of supplies.

be patient, wait it out, let's see what happens. when (or if) things return to "normal" get yourself situated. buy incrementally. stockpiles do not happen with one $7,000 credit card purchase, they are usually built a $100 at a time when things pop up. best of luck and enjoy the site.
Although I did have a Stevens double 12g from the 1950s and a Winchester octagon barrel .22 pump from the 1930s (neither has been shot in 40 years+), I did grab the only semi-auto 12g in a home defense configuration that I could find before getting the G17 - a Stoeger 3000. I had the wife complete the Maryland HQL (handgun qualifying license) to get her indoctrinated - she's daughter of a NYC detective and had 2 brothers on the job on Long Island, so she has put up zero resistance.

I can see where it can almost become obsessive - trying to keep it under control... I do have thoughts of an AR pistol... Maryland is very restrictive. Where Md is, is likely where Biden would like to take the country.

·
G43 Fanboy
1,762 Posts
I still go to the range weekly but shoot much less 9mm now (only to go through basic drills) and shoot more 22LR for fun. I also try to replenish whenever I can without having to pay the outrageous price so that I won’t deplete my modest stash of 9mm and 22LR.

I learned a hard lesson during the last ammo drought. So I am better prepared this time, though not as well as some other members who reload. If I survive this one, I may start reloading.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Buying ammo ( or components ) is like buying stocks.... if you buy all the time, you average the cost of same and end up with a price usu lower than current.
( unless your starting now )

I have some boxes of 9mm ( 50 ) that have stickers on them of like $4.85.... of course they were bought a while ago and just working thru them now while still reloading at the price of .14 per for the larger calipers.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have been shooting less 9mm for the past couple of years because I have been spending more time with small guns like my G43 and Sig P365. I used to take my M&P compact or before I sold it G19 and shoot 150-200 rounds a range session. With the small guns somewhere between 50 and 100 rounds seems right. At that rate I can keep shooting 9mm for years. The bigger guns have less recoil and are easier to shoot well but since I only carry small ones and have a shotgun for HD the M&P Compact is more of a range toy than anything else.

I also have plenty of .223 since I only shoot my AR a few times a year. And enough 44, 308 and 12 gauge to last a while since I don't shoot those as often too.

What I do worry about is 22. I enjoy shooting 22s and usually go through a couple hundred 22s when I do. I have enough for a couple of years but given how long the last 22 drought lasted that is what I worry about running out of. At least my 22s all have 10 or 12 shot magazines or cylinders. If I still had a 10/22 with the big magazines I would be out of 22 in less than a year.

·
M62/76
12,283 Posts
I’ve been shooting minimally lately but more because I’ve been so busy than anything else.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It might have already been said on this thread, but I’ll never forget what one of you glocktalk members said: Ammo is like money...you should have a checking and savings account. You should have a checking account of ammo which you shoot regularly and you should always be adding more to your savings account which you should never use unless you absolutely need it. Words to live by.

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'm down to just shooting my most carried guns: a G26 and a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911. I'm not shooting nearly as often and focusing more on slow fire and drawing and shooting one or two rounds to make my sessions last longer.

I'm trying to only shoot when I can replace but my small stocks are getting a little lower.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The easiest way to reduce your ammo expense is to shoot fewer rounds per range trip. I think shooting a lot per trip actually reinforces bad habits as fatigue and effects of recoil add up. There is a guy I regularly see at my range who will show up with at least 10 loaded Glock 17 magazines. He will insert a mag and rapid fire to empty. Insert the next mag and rapid fire to empty. He will shoot all these mags in about 10 minutes and then leave. I cannot believe that is helping his skills let alone his wallet.

·
Señor Member
9,362 Posts
One thing I thought of is that when I do shoot, I do more rifles than handguns. While rifle rounds are more expensive, the proportion vs. pistols makes it more economical, where I probably average 10-20 rifle rounds/gun to 50-100 pistol. Sometimes I'll bring 2-3 different rifles, with pistols being shot every 3rd or 4th visit. All of the odd/expen$ive calibers, from .480 Ruger in pistols to .38-55 in rifles, are reloaded for each outing.

Reactions: -JCN-

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
My philosophy is to save my best reloading components for a rainy day, and use up the less desirable stuff that's been sitting on my shelf for decades.
Keeps me shooting at the range and thinking at the reloading press.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I’m hoping more people are now seeing the value in learning to reload and perhaps actually making the jump to doing it.

Step one is saving brass. I picked up brass for almost 20 years, maybe even 30 before I loaded my first cartridge. Just one of those things I always intended to get into but never did. When I finally made the jump, I started buying/stocking other components and now I have a small, but decent stock of components to work with.

Casting is the next step, and once you take that plunge you’ll not only hoard brass, you’ll scrounge for lead. Lead can often be found for free, and it doesn't go bad.

Anyways, if nothing else, I encourage folks to start saving their brass. You might thank yourself in a decade or two.

·
Señor Member
9,362 Posts
My philosophy is to save my best reloading components for a rainy day, and use up the less desirable stuff that's been sitting on my shelf for decades.
Keeps me shooting at the range and thinking at the reloading press.
I figure if/when things get complicated, I'll have cases of factory ammo to reach for w/o much complication.

·
Señor Member
9,362 Posts
Yep, been 'hoarding' for 15-20 yrs. ;-)

·
Registered
30,168 Posts
I’m a good enough shot I don’t need to practice.

Yeah, me to..........
well, not quite.

One of my drills is, in the dark, shooting 100 rounds, while constantly on the move from 5 to 15 yards, using a Laserlite equipped Ruger SR22.
The target is the center of a steel plate.

This target is a "Fail", because there is a hit on the right line.

My scoring is simple, no matter how big or small the intended target's center.
No matter how many shots are fired, a miss makes the target a "Fail".

The reason is simple.
If I miss, I assume the bad guy did not miss. So I'm dead........Fail.

Dark SR22 laser low light 25 to 5  yards.jpg

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
I don’t like to store a bunch of ammo but I have about a years supply of 9mm at my current level. I also have some on backorder. I don’t mind if I shoot it till it’s almost gone.

I don’t practice is much with my hunting rifles as I used to. I think I shot my tikka .308 twice last year. Still had no trouble taking game. Took the buck moving fast at about 90yd and the bear at about 50yds. Have shot mule deer at over 350 yds with very little practice ahead of time. Was shooting steel this year with my 6.5 creedmoor from 500-800 yds with not a lot of practice.
BE5AFD84-7090-4E9B-A09D-0ABB5BDF7A94.jpeg C9989C5E-36C5-4FC5-A28E-D00B1B0BA315.jpeg

·
NRA Patriot Life Member
7,535 Posts
I reload and have plenty of components so I don’t need to ration. However, I am rationing toilet paper.

Reactions: FullClip
61 - 80 of 93 Posts