GlockTalk Forum banner

What's your ammo stash philosophy?

• I'm not shooting until I can replace it.

• I'm shooting the bare minimum to retain some competency and trying to replenish despite the cost.

• I'm rationing my current supply to be depleted in a year.

• I'm rationing my current supply to be depleted in two years.

• I'm rationing my current supply to be depleted in three years.

• I'm going to take up archery or golf.

• I have so much ammo that I haven't changed my shooting patterns at all.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Señor Member
8,996 Posts
"I have so much ammo that I haven't changed my shooting pattern at all" because, for the last few years, I've been too busy and mentally exhausted to go to the range other than to test/sight in a new gun (none in over a year). I still bought up .22lr, .556, and some 9mm when they were 3-5 cents (just realized my keyboard doesn't have the 'cents' key), $250-300/k, and $170/k, respectively. For rifle and odd pistol calibers I have plenty of reloading components, even if I don't have loaded rounds for them.

Reactions: -JCN-

·
Registered
385 Posts
Life's too short to get constipated. Not shooting more, not shooting less. Since the plandemic commenced even accumulated more via an estate sale. Gave some to younger shooters who didn't have the means to stock up.

Can't take ammo with me. Unless my wife loads it onto my Oseberg vessel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Years ago I used to go to the range several times per week and shoot hundreds of rounds. Then I figured out that it really made no difference in my skill level whether I shot 200 or 20. So now I go to the range once or twice a week and shoot 10 or 15 rounds, which I have been doing over the past decade. So advanced age and failing eyesight are greater issues for me than ammo or component supplies.

And who decided that this shortage would eventually end/improve and things would get back to "normal"?

·
l'Italia s'è desta
7,433 Posts
I’ve got 7000 rounds of .22, 2000 rounds of 9mm, and anywhere from 500 to 1000 rounds of the other calibers I shoot. My worry is not living long enough to get rid of it all. I’m 71. SheWho doesn’t shoot. So, I go hang out at the indoor range a few days a week and burn off some of it. Better than hanging out in a bar. When it’s gone I’ll start using up the reloading components I have. With my bad back, I can only stand up for so long, so it’s going to take awhile to get rid of this stuff. When I die, all my guns and whatever ammo is left go to my Gun club to be sold off with the proceeds going to youth gun training and shooting competitions.

·
Huge Member
11,067 Posts
Not on the list of choices but I've pretty much switched to 22lr for all my shooting. I have/had upwards of 50k rounds of 22 stashed away. When I shoot now I shoot 22s. And I even ration that somewhat.

Reactions: -JCN- and JeffG78

·
Registered
30,071 Posts
There have been so many ammo and reloading components "shortages" in the past many years that there is no excuse for a gun owner to let themselves get short of ammo.
Except if they can't spare the money.

My having two shooting ranges, including a backyard range, I do a good bit of shooting, of mostly reloaded ammo.
Although I maintain a large stock of factory ammo to.

I guess I average shooting 3-6 times a week.

I told the neighbors,
"If you don't hear me shooting for about 4 days, you might check on me to see if there's something wrong".

Last year a neighbor lady did call because, "I hadn't been shooting for at least four days and I had "laundry" on the line for four days".

I thanked her and told her the "laundry" was just some old T Shirts I used for cat rags and was too lazy to take down.

If you do a fair amount of shooting, reloading your own ammo is the way to go.
And stay STOCKED UP on powder and primers and 22 ammo. It's better than money in the bank.

45 and 38 reloads.JPG

9mm reloads.JPG

9mm  5000 reloads.JPG

22 ammo cost.jpg

22 ammo 3 2014.jpg

Along with reloading, you might consider casting your own bullets.
For many years I cast my own 38, 9mm, 45, etc bullets.
But I haven't cast bullets in MANY years, although the equipment was still on the table in the barn.
It's easier to just buy the lead bullets a few thousand at a time.

One morning a couple weeks ago I started "fooling"with the bullet casting setup and quickly made a couple thousand 9mm/38 bullets.
Then sized/ loaded and shot them.

Since then I've cast about 5-6 thousand bullets in several mornings. Even though I have some thousands of factory bullets, I've found that casting these thousands of lead bullets in the morning is fun.

Since this picture was taken, that pile of lead, on the right, plus a couple more piles, have been turned into bullets.

Bullet casting.JPG

Excuse me.
I think I'll go cast/load a few hundred lead bullets. :)

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I go to indoor range about one a month. I used to bring 3-4 boxes of pistol center fire ammo along. I am in pretty good shape ammo wise for my needs but for now I take 2 boxes of centerfire, 100 rounds of 22 LR along and still have a great time. I take the Browning Buckmark, M&P 22 Compact, or SIG P226 with 22 LR conversion kit. I am also itching to get a Glock 44 at some point.

·
NRA Life Member
64,256 Posts
I have all the ammo I need, I'm just too lazy to go shoot it.

·
Premium Member
5,504 Posts
I'm shooting a lot of .22, rifle and pistol. I have .22 adapters for the G21 and a Kadet Kit for the CZ 75 Series. A CMMG for the AR's. Also, I have a lot of odd ball calibers that I loaded up on when the cost was low. 7.62 X 25, 9X18MM, 8MM Mauser. I have enough to not have to pay scalpers prices.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm a total newbie. Took possession of my G17 Gen5 MOS in the first few days of October. Knowing that a 9mm was going to be my first purchase, I started buying before the gun arrived. I've been hitting a nearby range once per week - I guess I've shot about 550 rounds so far. Going forward, I'm limiting myself to 50 rounds per trip. To speed-up my development I bought a G-Light laser and set-up a "range" in the basement, with lines at 15, 21, 27, and 33 ft. I feel that the laser helped me zero my new Vortex Venom quickly and cheaply, and has helped me immensely with my trigger work. I dry fire about 30 minutes per day.

I had been thinking about getting a pistol for many years. Here in Maryland it's not easy, but the image of the McCloskeys outside their home finally got me off my a$$. I kinda expected that once I made the first purchase, I'd get into it - and I have. It's unfortunate that I'm doing it at maybe the most expensive point in time ever, but I'm enjoying it.

I acquired a Gen5 G19 MOS 2 weeks ago...and I'm adding ammo when I find it. And we're off!

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Have PLENTY for my 5.56 SBR.
For the G48 and Hellcat I cut back a bit. For now, just shooting the G48 - my EDC. Don't have enough right now to "learn" the Hellcat. Things will improve.

Had to sell the 550 and 650 when we moved to AZ (no room). :(

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I'm a total newbie. Took possession of my G17 Gen5 MOS in the first few days of October. Knowing that a 9mm was going to be my first purchase, I started buying before the gun arrived. I've been hitting a nearby range once per week - I guess I've shot about 550 rounds so far. Going forward, I'm limiting myself to 50 rounds per trip. To speed-up my development I bought a G-Light laser and set-up a "range" in the basement, with lines at 15, 21, 27, and 33 ft. I feel that the laser helped me zero my new Vortex Venom quickly and cheaply, and has helped me immensely with my trigger work. I dry fire about 30 minutes per day.

I had been thinking about getting a pistol for many years. Here in Maryland it's not easy, but the image of the McCloskeys outside their home finally got me off my a$$. I kinda expected that once I made the first purchase, I'd get into it - and I have. It's unfortunate that I'm doing it at maybe the most expensive point in time ever, but I'm enjoying it.

I acquired a Gen5 G19 MOS 2 weeks ago...and I'm adding ammo when I find it. And we're off!
Sounds like ur off to a great start. Good to kill the myth about new gun owners buying a gun and throwing it in a drawer thinking they are prepared. Enjoy the sport.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts