GlockTalk Forum banner

What's your ammo stash philosophy?

• I'm not shooting until I can replace it.

• I'm shooting the bare minimum to retain some competency and trying to replenish despite the cost.

• I'm rationing my current supply to be depleted in a year.

• I'm rationing my current supply to be depleted in two years.

• I'm rationing my current supply to be depleted in three years.

• I'm going to take up archery or golf.

• I have so much ammo that I haven't changed my shooting patterns at all.

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Millenium #3936
6,307 Posts
I find it odd how many shooters actually believe that their skills are going to evaporate if they do not shoot often and regularly.

Perishable? Sure.. but lets not be overly dramatic.

Sure you might lose .2-.3 of a second or a few millimeters but hardly anything that is going to cause you to lose a gunfight that you would otherwise have won. Its just not that deep in my humble opinion.

Training is good and of course we should train but lets be realistic. If you didnt shoot your EDC for the next few years, you are not likely to lose any concerning level of skill if you have actually developed it reasonably well to being with. Could you measure an absolute loss in skill with a micrometer? Probably. Do I consider that worth worrying about? Nope

I have adopted a quarterly training schedule for probably the past decade. 4 times a year I will go out run my gun. At 4 times a year I would consider that overkill in regards to maintaining competence with my EDC. Dont get me wrong, I am a proponent of keeping the rust off. That said, all this covid has keep me home and I have not trained since Feb. I aint worried in the least.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I voted for the last option. Just took delivery of 1k more .40 cal bullets.
I load and have components for years. I have not cut back due to current shortage. what I do find, with each passing month, is I have less and less time to go shoot or load.
Life dictates by shooting for now, not any shortages.

I tend to go through spells, where I'll go 2-3 times in quick succession, and burn around 400-750 rounds, then won't shoot again for months. last I checked I can still shoot a G22 with such proficiency that it is almost boring. lol.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Since I quit hunting I stay out the woods during hunting season. I don't want to bother the hunters plus there are just too many of them in the woods around here, that's the main reason I quit.
I use to shoot every week but now it's about every other week so when hunting season is over I will continue. I have enough ammo to last a few years.
When I say hunting season I mean deer season.

Reactions: -JCN- and FullClip

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
My son and I set a budget and target years ago to shoot 500 rds per month so we planned for it. We knew the political shenanigans were going to occur so we bought supplies well in advance. I reload and have zero problem loading for the family. I even bought dies etc for gun calibers that I did not have but my family did. I am a strong believer in planning for the future for anything, doesn't matter what the target is. Planning will save you money, time, and headaches down the road.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Reloading puts you in a much better situation, but primers have never been so scarce. I have about 15k primers, powder probably for 40k rounds at least, so I just have to keep an eye out for primers and keep going.

For some drills, particularly movement drills, I still have taken to use the G44 more. So I guess I am a bit worried after all.

Reactions: -JCN-

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Currently still rationing with a rate leaving me solid until next summer (a year since I started).

I may modify it over the next few months depending on how things shake out.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
I don't shoot like I did 20 years ago spraying bullets as fast as I can pull the trigger. I will do a function test now and then but I mostly shoot rifles and shoot for accuracy making every shot count. I find it more relaxing to concentrate on the shot at hand. You can't think about your problems while concentrating on making a difficult shot.

·
Venor ergo sum
Gun control is about CONTROL.
3,603 Posts
I’ve had to slow the practice sessions between matches. Probably have enough 9mm for another year and .40 to last a couple years. Enough .357 mag and .22 LR to last at least 5 years. Going to come up short on .38 Special if I shoot much of it. I have been able to buy .40 cal Hornady XTPs throughout this latest stupidity, so I’ve been rolling my own .40 and 10mm as needed.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
I find it odd how many shooters actually believe that their skills are going to evaporate if they do not shoot often and regularly.

Perishable? Sure.. but lets not be overly dramatic.

Sure you might lose .2-.3 of a second or a few millimeters but hardly anything that is going to cause you to lose a gunfight that you would otherwise have won. Its just not that deep in my humble opinion.

Training is good and of course we should train but lets be realistic. If you didnt shoot your EDC for the next few years, you are not likely to lose any concerning level of skill if you have actually developed it reasonably well to being with. Could you measure an absolute loss in skill with a micrometer? Probably. Do I consider that worth worrying about? Nope

I have adopted a quarterly training schedule for probably the past decade. 4 times a year I will go out run my gun. At 4 times a year I would consider that overkill in regards to maintaining competence with my EDC. Dont get me wrong, I am a proponent of keeping the rust off. That said, all this covid has keep me home and I have not trained since Feb. I aint worried in the least.
I could not disagree with this more. It's like buddies of mine who only ever shoot their deer rifle once a year prior to the season.

Then b***** when they wing or gut shot a deer and lose it.

If a skill is worth having, it's worth practicing.

Of course, that's my opinion and it's worth as much as yours. Hopefully neither of us ever has to find out which approach is "best" :D

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Last option as I'm just shooting what I reload and have plenty of components ...
No need to shoot up the factory ammo at all.
Good till Trump comes back in 2024!

·
NRA Member
2,699 Posts
I don't shoot competition.....just shoot at my outdoor private club range and shoot 200-300 rounds a session.

If I maintain my current habits I'll be good for, at least, the next 6-8 years before I even start to get concerned about my stock pile.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
I like to hoa, um, I mean save, so I'm only shooting when I can find some ammo at a reasonable (for the times) price. It means I'm not shooting much.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I’m just fine thank you.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The only thing I’m shooting for the foreseeable future is 22, 45 GAP, and 12 gauge bird shot. Those are the only guns I have that I can still replace the ammo for at a reasonable price.

21 - 40 of 93 Posts