GlockTalk Forum banner

What's your ammo stash philosophy?

• I'm not shooting until I can replace it.

• I'm shooting the bare minimum to retain some competency and trying to replenish despite the cost.

• I'm rationing my current supply to be depleted in a year.

• I'm rationing my current supply to be depleted in two years.

• I'm rationing my current supply to be depleted in three years.

• I'm going to take up archery or golf.

• I have so much ammo that I haven't changed my shooting patterns at all.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This includes primers and components as well as factory ammo.
The more this goes on, the longer I think it'll take to recover.

If people see it as scarce and valuable, they'll hoard it until they feel comfortable.
The longer the scarcity, the more hoarding they'll do in the future delaying "normal" recovery of demand.

In the beginning, I was hoping this would only be a year of drought but the longer and worse it gets the longer I fear it'll take to recover.

I finally took an inventory of what I have and instead of planning being able to get more in a year, now I'm thinking of budgeting and rationing for three years. :(

Out of the poll, what's your philosophy for ammo?

·
Native Mainiac
20,636 Posts
I'm good for a long long time. I don't "train" a whole lot anyway. I go to the gravel pit and shoot a couple hundred rounds once in a while. With what I have loaded, and what reloading supplies i have on hand it will be a while before I have to worry much.

·
Come on man!!
14,837 Posts
I've got enough .22lr to last me several years and that is about to be what becomes the bulk of my shooting.

I have several thousand 9mm rounds and I'm just going to shoot 100 rounds a month of that to maintain proficiency with my CCW guns.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have a decent stash but I shoot as does the wife. So we hit the range every 2-3 weeks rather than weekly.

Reactions: -JCN-

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I don't have a huge stash. But it's a respectable amount for a pandemic newb.

It's enough that me and the wife can go 2-3 times a month and not feel like I'm digging too deep into my stash.

I replenish every chance I get. Even though it's usually a one or two box limit per caliber.

·
Registered
14,492 Posts
I have enough to not worry about, but many matches are cancelled so I'm shooting less anyway.
I am shooting more rimfire, but that's because I like using those guns for our Outlaw Steel Challenge matches.

·
Can't type, don't spell, what's grammar.
1,840 Posts
Backyard range for me so I shoot or not as I please, I have no gotta go to the range pressure.
I’ll continue to shoot my .22lr pistols as I normally do which burns up the most ammo but it’s all bulk stuff which I have plenty on hand.
I have some dedicated long range .22 rimfire rifles that don’t eat up much ammo so feeding them is not really an issue either.
I’ll probably continue to shoot a box of 9mm once or twice a month but don’t really feel a need to shoot more than that. If I can’t make good hits at SD ranges by now then shooting up more ammo isn’t likely to help much.

·
Supreme Member
3,684 Posts
Due to the ridiculous cost of ammo now, I've cut back on my shooting, but haven't stopped completely.

Only shoot my carry guns and house defense guns now to stay proficient. Range toys stay in the safe and don't get used.

I go to the range only once per week, and shoot only 50 rounds when I go. I rotate through my carry/house guns each trip.

At a rate of 50 rounds per week, I have enough to last several years. Hopefully the ammo situation has improved by the time I start running low. If not, I guess I'll be paying ridiculous prices to replenish my supply.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I reload & have oodles of components. I don’t go through that much ammo though, the boys shoot some.

I always have my 41 mags or 9mm Makarov to fall back on, who needs 9mm?

·
Registered
13,272 Posts
I won't have to slow down for several more years if then.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts