Ratio of clip/stick WW when smelting

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by JesseCJC, Feb 17, 2010.

1. JesseCJC

JesseCJC

The bucket I got today has about a good 60lbs of just stick on weights and I also have about 40lbs from the other 2 buckets I sorted. Should I keep the stick-ons separate and add some solder in or just throw it into the mix of clip-ons in some sort of fixed ratio? If I keep the stick-ons separate, should they be quenched to bring the hardness up a bit? Thanks for any help, complete noob here and my first smelting session will be this weekend.

2. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

For the 45 I use a 50/50 mix of wheel weights/soft lead + 2% tin for low pressure target rounds.
    I've been using 75/25 WW/lead + 2% tin in the 40S&W for mid power loads with very little leading.
    Air cooled WW + 2% tin has been working great for our 357 for mid power loads, no leading.
    I've found the alloy doesn't have to be that hard to work without leading as long as your not trying to get barn burning jacketed velocity.
    Keep the stick on and clip on in separate ingots then mix when casting, then keep track of the mix that works.

Bob

3. fredj338

fredj338

Bob has given you good adivce. Most stickon ww are nearly pure lead & respond poorly to water quenching. If you mix them 50/50 & then water quench, you'll get close to clip ww in BHN, about 14. IF you have trouble getting good fillout, then add 1%-2% 95/5 solder.