Rather than have a civil discussion, a subset...chooses to make fun, ridicule, etc.

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by RussP, Sep 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OMCHamlin

OMCHamlin

Well, fundamentally, that's the answer I expected, and so, thank you for not disappointing? I have never seen a board so snidely hate filled as GTRI, but, as I said, I'm sure traffic is traffic.
    (And that's the last you'll hear from me on it, frankly, I just don't go there much, so it's easy enough to ignore. RI is not a big axe for me...)

2. OldSchool64

OldSchool64

I think we all understand that you're new here and unaware of the nature of some individuals here. And, I think you are aware that it's the nature of individuals and the quality of their posts, or the lack there of, that will make or break a site/forum.

You, as senior admin (correct me if I'm wrong) don't have the knowledge about the history of this forum that many of us do have. I find that ironic.

That said - Do as you will, and we will stay or go as we will.

ETA, FWIW & IMO: Some of the most disrespectful and ridiculing individuals I've ever run across post here in GTRI on a regular basis.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    MB-G26 likes this.

3. Dave514

Dave514

Some people just aren't that big of freedom of speech or allowing people to interact as they please.

The parameters of GTRI allow those who want to participate to do so and they don't force anyone else, who doesn't want to participate, to have to.

4. GTAdmin

GTAdmin Staff Member Admin Moderator

If you have an issue with something that someone is saying please use the report feature. I've almost been here a year guys and although I won't pretend to understand the varied dynamics of the multiple forums I do understand people.

Report it. It's really that simple. The mods and I will discuss it and take if from there. We work as a team so it's not me acting alone and it never has been.

5. RichardB

RichardB Matthew 25:31-46

Off the wall observation. I'm trying to apply the philosphy that " An Armed Society Is A Polite Society" to Glock Talk Religious Topics and finding out that many folks here don't buy into it on line. Is this their real world so constricting that this only place they can be abnoxious? Just idle thoughts to ponder.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

oldandtreacherous likes this.
  6. Dave514

Dave514

So you're saying that your inability to use fear of retribution as a means to control freedom of speech is the problem.

You're right. Non believers have a lot they would like to say but can't, in public, because in most regions the very mention of non belief is a social, and often financial, death sentence.

7. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634 :):

It's really very simple. If you don't like what goes on here feel free to wander off to some other sub-forum.

If you're going to stay here and participate then grow a thicker skin.

8. GTAdmin

GTAdmin Staff Member Admin Moderator

At the same time you can avoid the forums you don't like. That is an option. You won't see my in there. I hate discussing politics and religion. Hate it, although I did start teaching my 9 year old about world religions as she has started asking questions. I do know quite a bit about them from all my reading.

9. RichardB

RichardB Matthew 25:31-46

You have identified a cause of problems with this forum. Instead of the simple exchange of ideas some of the undesirables choose to stick swords (why would one need thicker skin/ armor) into those with whom they disagree. Kind of reminds me of the American leftists who have been shouting down speakers with whom they disagree since at least the 1960s..

10. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

After a long break from the original topic, "Rather than have a civil discussion, a subset of the non-believing atheist, science, whatever crowd chooses to make fun, ridicule, etc.," and based on some recent posts, it appears some members posting in RI did not fully understand that rude, insulting, caustic, harassing posts have to come to a halt.

Yes, overall civility is vastly improved. I thank all of you making the effort. Now we need to peel back a new layer.

I look forward to everyone's cooperation in this next effort.

11. RussP

12. paparockcal

paparockcal

Be true to yourself and do't worry what anyone else says to you here.

G29guy06 likes this.
  13. G19 DB

G19 DB

I find it interesting that many who claim to be close to God are those that treat others with the most disrespect. Just sayin.

RussP likes this.
  14. oldandtreacherous

oldandtreacherous

Just dropped by to say my hiatus has been so pleasant that it will hereafter be a permanent self imposed exile.

happyguy likes this.
  15. RussP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.