GlockTalk Forum banner

3541 - 3560 of 3635 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hitman and Hitman: Agent 47.

9/10, just because the lead can keep a strait face through all of the action. Its kind of reverse of what happens in life. I think the armaments are characters in the movies also. The action scenes are complicated, with some fine choreography.

...Ron

·
Electric Sex
5,403 Posts
Watched Hombre the other night on Netflix. Old western with Paul Newman.

It's supposed to be a classic, and I am fan of westerns, but it didn't do much for me. I'll give it 6 out of 10.
Hombre is a fantastic film and definitely a classic western, though it doesn't really get the notice that it should. I didn't know that it was on Netflix and will have to watch! I love Paul Newman almost as much as I love westerns. :) Maybe I'll have a Paul Newman western double feature by watching Hombre and Hud. :)

When I was in high school Mad published a spoof of it, which caught something at the end which everyone had missed. The guy who Richard Boone sent to sneak around the back of the hill was never seen again in the movie. Everyone forgot about him even the audience and the director. :)

Reactions: nrajeff

·
Registered
55,355 Posts
Hombre is a fantastic film and definitely a classic western, though it doesn't really get the notice that it should. I didn't know that it was on Netflix and will have to watch! I love Paul Newman almost as much as I love westerns. :) Maybe I'll have a Paul Newman western double feature by watching Hombre and Hud. :)

When I was in high school Mad published a spoof of it, which caught something at the end which everyone had missed. The guy who Richard Boone sent to sneak around the back of the hill was never seen again in the movie. Everyone forgot about him even the audience and the director. :)
I think I still have that issue of Mad Magazine sitting in my basement somewhere. :) IIRC, their satire of Hombre was titled Somber. LOL

Yeah... The movie never did address the guy who was sent to "close the back door"... :supergrin:

Hombre makes my short list of all-time favorite Westerns... Quirky script by Elmore Leonard, brilliantly acted by Paul Newman and Richard Boone (the latter playing among the meanest and nastiest bad guys ever).

Also had some of the most clever and driest dialogue I've ever heard.

Cicero Grimes: "You put two holes in me. I owe you."
John Russell: "Two's usually enough."

Vaquero: "You like shooting people, eh?"
John Russell: "I can do it again for you."

Reactions: Emily W Trott

·
Electric Sex
5,403 Posts
I think I still have that issue of Mad Magazine sitting in my basement somewhere. :) IIRC, their satire of Hombre was titled Somber. LOL

Yeah... The movie never did address the guy who was sent to "close the back door"... :supergrin:

Hombre makes my short list of all-time favorite Westerns... Quirky script by Elmore Leonard, brilliantly acted by Paul Newman and Richard Boone (the latter playing among the meanest and nastiest bad guys ever).

Also had some of the most cleverest and driest dialogue I've ever heard.

Cicero Grimes: "You put two holes in me. I owe you."
John Russell: "Two's usually enough."

Vaquero: "You like shooting people, eh?"
John Russell: "I can do it again for you."

Good to meet another Mad and movie fan. :)

I think that you are correct about the satire's title but it may have been spelled Sombre?

Richard Boone was truly a bad guy's bad guy. :) Been killed by some of the best too.

I can remember even though he played bad guys, and good ones, in so so many movies, I'll always remember John Russell as the hero in Lawman on tv. :)

Reactions: fx77 and JFrame

·
Registered
55,355 Posts
Good to meet another Mad and movie fan. :)

I think that you are correct about the satire's title but it may have been spelled Sombre?

Richard Boone was truly a bad guy's bad guy. :) Been killed by some of the best too.

I can remember even though he played bad guys, and good ones, in so so many movies, I'll always remember John Russell as the hero in Lawman on tv. :)
I think you're right (about Sombre). I wasn't sure, so I just used the proper spelling. :)

John Russell (THE John Russell) just had that look that was cut out to play heroic (or, at least, iconic) Western characters. As the head of the bad-guy posse in Clint Eastwood's Pale Rider, he was not only scary, but had that imposing look which made it seem like he could actually have gotten the drop on Eastwood at one time. He also made a dashing Lt. Dickinson in The Last Command, an underrated movie about the Alamo.

For all his acclaim and starring TV roles, Richard Boone was truly an underrated actor. :)

Reactions: Emily W Trott

·
Registered
13,933 Posts
We saw Tenet 2 weeks ago. Not bad but hard to follow.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Again, not a movie.
Star Trek Discovery, season three, first couple episodes: 4/10 Meh.

The first two seasons were okay. Obvious virtue signalling was obvious but didn't interfere with the storyline, which I found interesting enough. So far the third season has all the virtue signaling but none of the interesting story. In two episodes they somehow managed to make me not care what happens to any of them going forward. I didn't bother to check... maybe they lost writers?

·
Free Full Clip!
17,135 Posts
Green Book (2018) with Viggo Mortenson.

One of the best movies ever. a story about an Italian wise guy enforcer who takes a job as a chauffeur/ bodyguard for a Black concert pianist wanting to tour the south in the late fifties early sixties. The title "Green book" was about a guidebook for Blacks traveling in the south in the fifties listing places where they could stay and places they could eat.

The two men don't like each other at first but become lifetime friends. Based on a true story.
Viggo Mortenson gained 40 pounds for the role and did a convincing New Jersey accent.

After seeing him in Appaloosa and Lord of the Rings and a couple other things, I am convinced that he is the greatest living actor today.

·
Quick! Duck!
2,760 Posts
Reactions: Truth&Balance

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
i am vengeance:rfetribution on netflix gun play martial act choreography but lousy acting 3/5 stars

·
Registered
905 Posts
They Shall Not Grow Old (2018)
They-shall-not-grow-old.jpg

WWI documentary by Peter Jackson from the British point of view. He colorized black and white film and added audio and it almost feels like you're there. The trenches were awful. I saw it recommended by someone on here a few months back. 7/10

·
Mountain Man
6,796 Posts
Green Book (2018) with Viggo Mortenson.

One of the best movies ever. a story about an Italian wise guy enforcer who takes a job as a chauffeur/ bodyguard for a Black concert pianist wanting to tour the south in the late fifties early sixties. The title "Green book" was about a guidebook for Blacks traveling in the south in the fifties listing places where they could stay and places they could eat.

The two men don't like each other at first but become lifetime friends. Based on a true story.
Viggo Mortenson gained 40 pounds for the role and did a convincing New Jersey accent.

After seeing him in Appaloosa and Lord of the Rings and a couple other things, I am convinced that he is the greatest living actor today.
Green Book is a great movie!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
They Shall Not Grow Old (2018)
View attachment 857092
WWI documentary by Peter Jackson from the British point of view. He colorized black and white film and added audio and it almost feels like you're there. The trenches were awful. I saw it recommended by someone on here a few months back. 7/10
netfl ix or amazon video

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
re-watched the original Purge the other day. Great movie, unfortunately I can see this in our future if things don't start changing.

·
Huge Member
10,942 Posts

Did you ever notice that Paul Newman is so clean shaved, even after days in the desert that his face shines. I know he is supposed to be half Indian but sheeze. Of course lots of actors in the old days never grew a beard let alone had razor stubble even after days out in the wilderness. Not like today where nobody shaves at all. Perpetual 3 day stubble on their face.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
re-watched the original Purge the other day. Great movie, unfortunately I can see this in our future if things don't start changing.
my daughter and I have an newly developing halloween tradition to watch a horror movie and I get her the candy of her choice. She chose the purge this year. I heard the first of the film series is best, so we have that on the docket this weekend.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The Spy
6 X Series on Netflix
About Eli Cohen and based on his life
Very good
Do recommend

·
Registered
12,871 Posts
3541 - 3560 of 3635 Posts