GlockTalk Forum banner

3521 - 3540 of 3609 Posts

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
In Bruges. Like the cast. Reviews well. Maybe I was not in the mood. Sloooooow. About 40min in the wife says she wants to watch something else. I tried to finish it later and fell asleep. 3/10.
Thank you! I thought I was the only one who was not thrilled with that movie.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Just finished the "new" (non-80s) version of Red Dawn. Pretty good. Some deviations from the 80s version with Patrick Swayze. Still, it is some (somewhat) small towners who start with their handguns and deer rifles to defend their land by very small successes, capturing enemy weapons along the way. Eventually they're using the enemy's own Class III and explosive equipment against the enemy (North Korea), lead by Thor himself (Chris Hemsworth). Oddly, "Josh" (from early 2000s "Drake and Josh") is Thor's little brother, the temporary foil until he understands the gravity of their situation. Still, there is the underlying and undeniable foundation that citizens possessed various arms and thus could form a reasonable and growing and effective resistance to international invaders.
Wasn't it the Japs (or rumour thereof) who said "Why would we invade North America when behind every blade of grass would be a rifleman?"

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
I don't know why I watched it.
I knew Nicholas Cage was in it and he almost always sucks. That and the original was no masterpiece either.

But I watched Gone in 60 seconds anyway.
It was really bad!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wasn't it the Japs (or rumour thereof) who said "Why would we invade North America when behind every blade of grass would be a rifleman?"
I don't know if that's the exact quote, but it certainly captures the spirit of what I have heard through the years. Kind of makes you wonder why the Japanese did Pearl Harbor...wouldn't they have expected retaliation? Who knows.

·
Señor Member
8,667 Posts
I don't know if that's the exact quote, but it certainly captures the spirit of what I have heard through the years. Kind of makes you wonder why the Japanese did Pearl Harbor...wouldn't they have expected retaliation? Who knows.
Battle on two fronts? Maybe they thought there was a chance, then.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Furious, 2017. Russian movie, voice dubbed. From Wikipedia:

"The film is based on the period when Kievan Rus' was under control of the Golden Horde. Ryazan knight Evpaty Kolovrat is the leader of the squad, which decides to fight back khan Batu, who has divided Kievan Rus'.

The plot is based on The Tale of the Destruction of Ryazan, a medieval military tale about the capture of the city of Ryazan by the Mongols in 1237 and is one of the best sources of the Mongol invasion of Kievan Rus' "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furious_(2017_film)

I'm using the Wikipedia description of the film, as it has much more information than the IMDB version. Also, from the way it is written, I think the Wikipedia entry was made by Russians (language and sentences are a little odd).

So this takes place in the 13th century, when the "Mongol Horde" was led by "khan Batu", not the well known Ghengis Khan. Interesting to learn a bit about the Russians way back then fighting the Mongols.

Good movie, with a big "but".... it is dubbed in English - while done okay, it is distracting.

Acting is decent but a bit over done in many places, and the special effects are remarkably good.

If you like all the Korean - Japanese - Chinese movies that have come out the last 10+ years depicting huge medieval style armies clashing, you will probably like this.

·
Former Marine
444 Posts

7/10. I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. Love the principal character.
I agree. I missed it when it came out, but watched it a couple of years ago. Tucked it away in my keeper stash along with The Cabin in the Woods, Jeepers Creepers, and High Tension.

Reactions: vettely

·
Former Marine
444 Posts

It's Halloween season... 6/10 and brings back memories from my youth of reading most of the books on the ban list. Yes, Florida had (has?) a banned book list.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
At least a 6/10. Good solid, old school horror movie. IMDB description is: "When two young boys playing in the woods discover a military bunker they unintentionally release the ghost of World War II auxiliary soldier who mistakenly believes the Nazis have landed." But he's more a zombie than a ghost, but not a shambling zombie - more like a "Shock Waves" (1977) zombie, but instead of a Nazi he's a British soldier Zombie out to kill Nazis...or people in black uniforms, driving German cars, etc. Decent acting, with John Rhys-Davies as the only major actor. Also released under the name "Aux."

I saw it on Amazon Prime Video - recommended.

Just watched. Not bad. All I could think about is how does a LEO not have a hand gun.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Greyhound

Good movie, not great. Does what a war movie should, doesn't waste a ton of time of personal lives, only a brief scene, and then jumps right into the story. If you want to get critical it's basically a car chase at sea. Wolf pack vs convoy. It's well done, acting is decent. I'd give it B- to B.

Entertaining, I would watch it again.
I really enjoyed it. Non stop WW2 naval action.

·
NRA Life Member
63,378 Posts
Just watched. Not bad. All I could think about is how does a LEO not have a hand gun.
They were British. Not having a gun is the rule, not the exception.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Man on Fire - 9/10. Excellent flick, cannot not watch it when it’s on.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Terminator: Dark Fate.

This is a tough one. By itself, it is a pretty good scifi action movie, but... compared to previous Terminators, it is just okay. Some interesting (and pretty good) plot / storyline twists.

Basically, "Sarah Connor" spends the whole movie cracking one liners, including many phrases / lines from previous Terminator movies. Arnold does pretty much the same. The gun room scene, "This is Texas", is laugh out loud funny.

So.... by itself, certainly an 8 out of 10. Compared to previous movies, probably a 6 out of 10. If that makes sense.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmQtZReFg9w

·
Registered
595 Posts
Borat 2...8.5/10
I like this silly humor, it was insane in some parts. Overall had some great laughs, and I don't take the anti-trump message seriously

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Watched "Midnight Special" on Netflix. Not what you would expect from the title. Pretty good. A 7 out of 10. Genre is Science Fiction.

3521 - 3540 of 3609 Posts