Rate the latest movie you've watched

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by r3dot, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Must be the difference between a wife and a girlfriend. Yes dear, I love it. :hearts:

2. pike bishop

pike bishop finishes it...

that darn cat (1965), 9... :cat:

J_Rico likes this.

3. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. 7/10.

It’s good, classic Tarantino flick but it’s a little long in parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borg Warner likes this.
  4. Tvov

Tvov

Watched it last night... much better than expected!

Remarkably good D-Day parachute drop. Follows a small parachute unit with a mission to blow up a radio tower... which happens to be at an ancient church / castle, where the nazis have a secret lab. It basically turns into Castle Wolfenstein, if you know that video game.

Besides the whole "mad scientist lab" thing during the last 1/4 of it, a few issues... Once the paras land, they are remarkably lackadaisical walking through the woods behind enemy lines, and of course they have "that guy" who is talking all the time, rather loudly. The German soldiers are likewise not "on alert", even after they fight some of the paras, so they know landings are occurring.

JJ Abrams "produced" this... Why? This is more something a new director would make. Would be a "B" movie if they didn't have the large budget so effects and equipment is very good. Actors all did a good job. Actually, when I think about it, he probably just did it as a side job, maybe helping out a new director?

5. thespork

thespork

Oh no..parasite? Trump doesn't like it

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  6. unit1069

unit1069

I totally agree. Gary Cooper had a certain elan that appeals to both men and women

Victor Dubya likes this.
  7. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Thanks Hollywood for continuing to ignore any effort in comedy movies.

Rented the latest John Cena movie where he is a smoke jumper. Same total hack job HW does on all modern comedies. No effort. Pee/poop humor and no soul.

Also got Ford vs Ferrari. Well made and acted.

8. thespork

thespork

True... Trying to think of the last good comedy I've seen.

I have an old college friend in the entertainment industry, he's some bigwig at Lionsgate now.. we were talking about this very thing, and he said one of the issues is that comedy doesn't translate well internationally.
    Meaning you can sell the latest superhero movie in Asia and make a bazillion extra dollars, but comedies tend to fizzle

TBO likes this.
  9. El Pistolero

El Pistolero bene vivere Silver Member

7,850 ft up in the New Mexico Rocky Mountains
    Wishman 8/10 Netflix
    Frank Shankwitz, an Arizona motorcycle cop with a troubled past, survives a near-fatal accident during a high-speed pursuit. As part of Frank's rehabilitation, police chief Sgt. Eddie Newman asks him to spend time with a terminally ill little boy, Michael, whose dying wish is to be a Highway Patrol motorcycle officer. To Michael, Frank is his hero, and an unlikely friendship is born. The boy inspires Frank to follow a new path, which leads to the creation of the Make-A-Wish foundation.Written by Theo Davies

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  10. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 Unapologetic Deplorable.

I liked once upon a time because of the attention to detail of an era I remember well. The cars alone must have been a huge undertaking and tho Tarantino's a schmuck I liked the way he portrayed that poor kid who got slaughtered by those animals. By all accounts she was a sweet kid.

"Legend" is a British gangster movie on Netflix I gave 9 out of 10 for. Its historically 99% BS but still its a very good gangster movie. A good story. 1917 was a very good movie. I think it was the only movie I actually went to the theater to see in the last year.

I almost rented "Joker" but I kept seeing this guy whinging about Cow's in my head so I screened Gladiator for free again. I recently screened "Hard Times" , Bronson's best, recently as well.

In the last month I screened 3 of my favorite Africa movies. Zulu, The Naked Prey, and Hatari.

11. elkhart

elkhart

Was on my back last week with pneumonia, so had a chance to watch some tv and movies...

Kill Bill Vol 1&2 (8/10) So violent, but so good. Such a quirky story and production. Love the soundtrack

Ghost Rider (8/10) It's a movie based on a comic book, and it shows. Which is perfectly fine, I'm not sure why you would expect more. And there's Eva Mendes. I saw where Marvel is planning on a gay guy/guy kiss scene. Try it on Ghost Rider, I don't see it ending well at all.

Locke and Key (6/10) Netflix series. Angst filled teens battle demon in predictable storyline. Bring in Ghost Rider, problem solved, spare us the agony.

12. teeuu

teeuu Silver Member

A Taxi Driver (Korea, 2017) 8/10

Based on true events:

In 1979 the leader of South Korea was assassinated. Political instability, student protests, government/military crackdowns & suppression of news - the nation was a mess.

A German reporter arrived in Seoul and hired a taxi to go to a town which had been completely cut off - no phone or telex lines in or out, no travel in or out - totally sealed off by government troops. The reporter & taxi driver managed to sneak into the town, record what was going on, and the reporter was able to smuggle the film out of the country in order to tell the world what was happening.

It's quite a good movie.

13. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Midway and once a time in hollywood.
    Midway was exiting action and unashamed american patriotosm.
    Once upon a time in hollywood is a decent tarantino flick, the ulternate history thing was pretty fun.
    Id reccomend both.

TBO likes this.
  14. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

Going to see The Call of the Wild this afternoon. Haven't been to a theatre in years.

15. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Watched "Parasite" which won best picture and best director at the academy awards. It was extremely boring. Hollywood wanted to show it's sophistication by giving a foreign film with subtitles it's top awards and while the movie had a somewhat interesting story it was not very well done.

Years ago, there was a foreign film (Italian) with subtitles that I really liked. It was called "Swept Away", just to show that I'm not incapable of appreciating foreign language films, but this most recent one was just not the best picture of the year.

I also saw Jo Jo Rabbit at the insistence of some friends and the concept of the movie seemed absurd to me but they made it work and it was very creatively done.

16. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

Seen Zombieland Double Tap yet? It’s funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truth&Balance likes this.
  17. ARFFormula

ARFFormula

Horse Girl (Netflix)

This one is hard to rate, probably 8/10 just because it was so bazaar

I like strange movies, and this one was about as weird as it gets.
    It's about a woman who thinks she is a clone and keeps getting abducted by aliens and starts to go crazy...eventually getting put in a mental hospital. If you like strange movies, check it out

18. 50 Cent

50 Cent

Actually bought T-34 as it was only 7 bucks on iTunes and it was damn good!

19. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

I think "Hard Times" is the one where Bronson's a street fighter. I need to look for it; haven't seen it in I don't know how long.

20. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 Unapologetic Deplorable.

Yeah, classic movie. Jame Coburn is great in it too. A great film of The Big Easy.