rar files...?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by PDogSniper, Feb 23, 2005.

1. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

I had one sent to me and can't open it. What are these and how do you open them...?

2. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I really detest .rar formatting.

IMHO when it is done by individuals, it is a strong indicator that their personality is strongly pointed towards "Anuslike"...

Any type of compression scheme that is predicated upon a large corporation bilking large amounts of money from hapless recipients of important--but otherwise unopenable--files is nothing but bad news, IMHO.

I was forced to buy their stupid extractor app a few years ago, but it wasn't too long before the newer .rar files, made with a more-expensive Newer Version, could not be opened.

So I had to buy a newer version; the upgrade wasn't free.

Then it happened again...and I promptly gave up on that happy bool sheet and now I just send them to a friend with a cracked version; he sends them back to me as .zips.

There are very few reasons to use this over a .zip format, but there are lots MORE reasons to stay with a commonly-used, and FREE, compression scheme.

And now .rar is the virus developer's best friend, since it cannot be opened by your AV app and allows any sort of malware to make its way onto the HDD before self-extracting and infecting your computer.

Isn't THAT nice? Just lovely, isn't it...

The makers of WinRAR need to be held accountable for this bit of nastiness, and they need to release their source code to the AV companies so those files can be scanned on the fly in the same manner .zip files are.

Just my $0.02...

4. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Well Fast butchered me down hard. I like Winrar myself ;g

5. Wingnut357

Wingnut357 Killer Casual

.rar works alright for non-windows OSs. Stuffit expander opens them fine and has a free version.

6. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby