close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rant!!!!!

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Kahr_Glockman, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Kahr_Glockman

Kahr_Glockman

I just got a phone call from the office. We have a guy that works for us that calls in sick on his Friday or Monday. Without fail he does this. He has been denied leave but still calls in. He alternates between Monday or Friday.

My schedule just got jacked because this fool wont work tomorrow. GGGRRRRR!!!! I was pretty bitter that he ws doing it before. Now I am just flaming pissed. I feel a bit of the blue flu coming on....

2. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

I don't know how big your PD is, but these kind of guys most times don't last long.

3. p.d.

p.d.

I wondered where he ended up when he left Kentucky. :supergrin: Seriously, I feel for you.

4. Kahr_Glockman

Kahr_Glockman

We are small. Less than 20. This guy is a traffic whore too. He is one deminsional. All he does is pull traffic. So "when" he works he goes out pulls traffic until he gets a warrant then ditches the rest of the shift to handle all the calls for service. His stats are high but he never takes a call. I took probably 30-40 Burglary calls last year. Which is about average for our agency. He took maybe 4-5. Just grids my gears..........

5. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash

We have one of those too... except his stats are extremely low. He always sits at the end of town running traffic, so whenever we have a call in town he is the last one to show up... always. I think he had one or two arrests last year.

The best part is that he stops running traffic around 2330 so he never catches DUI's.

Kind of sucks when we only have a 3 man shift and we get a fight call and we're dealing with combative arrestee's and our third man is parked at city limits.

6. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Not to assume the worst but, often people who call in the day before the weekend or the day after may, just possibly, have a substance abuse problem, such as alcohol. The theory being them calling in on the Friday before they are off for the weekend is to spend the day getting a head start on the weekend drunk. Calling in on Monday is often attributable to recovering from a good 2 day bender.

Otherwise, what is the significance of Friday and Monday in his schedule? He may have little league games he doesn't want to miss or something equally annoying but not nefarious.

7. Kahr_Glockman

Kahr_Glockman

8. AngryBassets

AngryBassets Jagenden Übel

This is an example of poor supervision.

Sick time abuse really isn't that hard to prove when you have an idiot like this establishing a pattern for you. Especially when he calls out after being denied they day off.

Your sergeant must be a lazy turd, too.

9. andy4731

andy4731

This happens to me when I can't find the droids I'm looking for :whistling:

Seriously though, I know a few guys that are retired on duty and they kill me. I would actually be pissed if it wasn't so funny some times.

3 weeks ago, we walked in with a seizure and an arrest, he looks at his watch, "ooops, it's time to go" and with that, he was gone. It was comical.

10. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Every dept. has slugs like that, it just depends on the quality of the admin and supervisors how long they last.

11. groovyash

groovyash

This has always been my experience as well.

12. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Man, I hate to hear anyone struggling with substance abuse, my dad had a bout with the bottle when I was young and it had a pretty profound effect on me. He cleaned up before I was 6 or 7 and stayed off the hooch till he died nearly 30 years larer.

I know that LEOs have a tremendous amount of "risk factors" that can lead one to get behind the 8-ball.

As much as it sucks that you have to carry his weight, have you considered talking to him about it or offering some help, possibly speaking to a supervisor about your concerns?

Maybe I'm wierd but I don't see addiction as a weakness, I see it as an opportunity to become stronger. If he's making your job hard it could be just the cycle of boozing making him worthless, he may be a good guy and a good cop when he's not in the sauce.

Just my 2 cents.

13. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Would it make you feel any better to tell you that every place has someone similar who is insulated and protected by the brass for some unknown reason?

14. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Not really.

It's not surprising to me either. I've had at least one guy like that at more than half the jobs I've had in my short life. Many of them WERE the "brass" if you get my meaning.

15. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

[​IMG]

16. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

We got people like that... we run an attendance report and show a pattern of calling off near weekends or to extend a holiday and vacation... and we ask for doctor's verification everytime thereafter. If they don't bring in a doctor's note saying they were sick and they went to the doctor's office, they get docked for the day without pay. Usually straightens them up. Sad that it takes a hit to the wallet to wake some people up.

17. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

I totally, absolutely, without a doubt understand where you're coming from. I try to have some empathy for people but I really do "get" why sometimes a task is more important than the shortcomings of the person whose responsibility it is to get it done.

I have no dog in this fight, I just thought I'd add my perspective.

18. TXPoPo

TXPoPo

It seems at my agency a lot of folks use their sick time when they want a day off and it almost seems to be accepted. On top of that, my dept doesn't have a habit of covering shortages in personnel. If we are short, we just run short. :upeyes:

Everyone has to use sick time on occasion. In particular those with little ones. I know when my daughter was little it seemed like I was always having to take her to the doctor. I think most can understand that. However, if the guy is calling in a couple times a month, there is an issue. Weather he is just "fluffing off" or has an actual "issue" it should be addressed and resolved if possible. Nobody saying anything just encourages it to continue. Maybe just sitting down with the guy and saying you notice how often he is taking sick time and ask if everything is okay. Even if he don't say anything he at least knows it is being noticed. Being an @$$ about it will do nothing but create problems and it is possible he may actually have an ongoing problem, be it health or other wise. Where I worked before we had a guy that missed a lot and everyone ******ed and whined. To be honest we gave him a hard time about it. Turned out his wife was a severe alcoholic with depression issues and he was having to deal with that. It was a sad situation and I felt bad after learning of the he11 he was dealing with at home.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  19. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Maybe the guy used to be a good cop, active, detail orientented, never used a sick day; and then maybe he got beat down one too many times by admin and figured, **** it, why even bother to keep trying when I can just chug along on the sidelines, make the same amount of money, and stay off the radar.

I mean, just maybe. :whistling:

On a somewhat related note, I have 1300+ hours of sick time in my bank, and when I leave in the next few months, I don't get to cash out any of it. If I was a schlub and had called in sick one a week I could have earned myself that $30,000 over the course of the last 10 years.

20. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Then they get promoted...