close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

(RANT)Work Ethics and customer service

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by inthefrey, Jan 4, 2010.

1. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

BEGIN RANT in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
    A long time ago my dad told me, “…It doesn’t matter if you’re the president of a huge company, a mechanic or a ditch digger. If you take pride in your work, other people will too and you will always move up.” Recently, (It may be my age though) I’ve noticed a decline in the quality of workmanship, and service in general for that matter, in just about everything. This goes for the service you get at a restaurant, to the quality of work done on your car, to the clerk at the hardware store that rings you out. I keep getting the feeling, “I’ll be glad when I’m done with you and I’m out of this joint!” Maybe it’s a sign of the times.
    I was at the local hardware store a couple nights ago(Jan. 2nd). It was a ghost town. There was probably 2 people in the store and only a few employees. I needed some BLACK RTV sealant for a project I was working on. After not finding it among the other RTV products, I finally spied someone with a “vest” and asked them if they knew where I could find some. He pointed me to the same display I had just come from and said, “If you don’t see it there, we don’t have any in stock.” In other words, “Thank you very much, you’re on your own, goodnight”. Well, I figured I was going to have to find it elsewhere and this guy probably got the short straw to work the late shift. I was headed out past the plumbing supply and saw what I needed on an end cap. There It was! It just what I wanted and they had a bunch of it. As I approached the checkout, I saw the same “sharp-tack” that gave me the line about none being in stock at the register. I placed the item on the counter and said in a cheerful tone, “Hey, I found the silicone I was looking for in the plumbing section. “ He said, in a tone that could cut glass, “I’m glad for you...”, and not another word.:shocked::steamed::steamed:
    Now, fighting the urge to punch him in the face, I smiled and calmly paid for my glue. I left the store thinking, “Got Brains? No, he must not have any in stock."
    I would never treat a customer that way. Not on my worst day - especially with no other customers in the store.
    However, maybe that night WAS his worst day and he was lucky he had me to take it out on.:supergrin:
    END OF RANT

2. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

One of the things I've never understood about retail customers is their reliance on people in the store to find things for them, being that almost every store I've ever been in had some kind of "organizational" system and had most of the products displayed, in plain view, on a shelf of some kind.

Well, that and the seemingly endless supply of soul-crushing stupidity they tend to display just trying to meander through their day without wearing a helmet.

I've spent most of my professional carreer in some form of direct customer service and, frankly, I'm quite amazed at how many people can operate something as complex as an automobile to get to the store in the first place.

But, I have to say that I've really noticed no decline in service in general. Minimum wage retail workers are just as apathetic and dissatisfied with their station in life now as they were when I was doing the job 20 years ago. If they had any sense and a strong work ethic they probably would go do something else.

This post isn't a reflection on you, personally, just my own little, related, rant.

3. Marine8541

Marine8541 iseedeadpeople

What I honestly don't get about these threads is the longing for a time past when there was a honor in doing some low paid menial job. I'm in my 40s and I never saw this work ethic people talk about. I'm thinking too many people watch too many reruns of Father Knows best.

4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

RANT: People who change their fonts aren't allowed to rant. :rofl:

5. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

I'm truely sorry that you have never experienced a person who is generally happy, helpful and eager to make your day better when representing a business they work for. As far as, "...there was a honor in doing some low-paid menial job..", maybe you missed the part about having pride in your work no matter what you do for a living.

So many kids today are looking for the "instant gratification" job and not the work.

6. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

Did I do that? Gee! What attention to detail!

7. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

I think the important thing to remember as a retail customer is that for every halfway reasonable person like you entering the store, there's a far more memorable jerky ******bag moron that bothered a retail employee with an absolutely braindead question, and did so in a rude manner.

Likewise, I think the important thing to remember as a retail employee is that for every halfway reasonable worker like yourself that's helped any given customer on any given day, there's been a far more memorable mouthbreathing lazy-*** that pissed that customer off on their last trip out, and made it clear they wanted to be anywhere on Earth but working at their job.

Everyone's got bad stories about customers/employees, and we all interact with a whole lot more customers/employees than we remember, because only the bad ones stick with us. The good apples tend to get taken for granted, on both sides of the equation.

8. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

I agree that bad press always makes the front page. In today's economy, I would want all the business I could get and my product can usually be purchased anywhere. Does it hurt that bad for folks to be professional?

Oh Well, another few bytes of wasted storage.

9. vart

vart

Society in general is more rude and selfish...

If you don't think so; you're part of the problem...:whistling:

10. okie

okie GT Mayor

I am also seeing a LOT of people just don't care anymore, and have the what the hell do you want attitude:shocked::faint:

11. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

I agree with the original poster. Customer service seems to be a thing of the past. Take pride in your job, and if your job is customer service, be good at it.

As for the comment about most stores having an "organizational system", then fire all the customer service people and only use cash register associates. Solves that problem. Then all the stores will be like my local Walmart. Can never find any help when you need it!

12. Glenn129

Glenn129

The attitude I have encountered at big box stores is one of the reasons I have returned to the small retailer. I don't mind paying a higher price for help in finding a product or having a salesman with knowledge offer suggestions about the use of a product.

13. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt Weapons Tech.

We have brought up a bunch of self indulged brats that think society owes them something for nothing. Screw work, Obama promised me free change.......................If not recieved they will sue.................:faint:
    EPIC FAIL!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  14. Marine8541

Marine8541 iseedeadpeople

Don't feel sorry for me I'm not the guy crying on the 'net how some slob making $6.00 has the power to ruin my day to the point that I'm still crying about it 24 hours later. :rofl::rofl:

ETA sorry two days later.

15. ichirensha

ichirensha

You people younger than 40 have never experienced the good customer sevice this country used to have and your ignorance and apathy is exactly what is wrong with this country. If you want to experience how it used to be here in America, you must travel to Japan where companies don't allow their employees to give "attitude". In Japan they have exceptional customer service like we used to have, in fact, they studied our business models. Many employees actually run to open doors for you or assist you. They still have elevator operators, taxi drivers that wear white gloves and load your bags for you. They spare no expense in providing customer service and life is a hell of alot more pleasant because people actually care about their jobs! Why the hell companies, here, let employees get away with what they do is absolutley absurd to me. Customer service in this country is awful!

16. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of "help" people need to purchase something in a retail store. Maybe I'm wierd, I just go pick up the item and take it to the register.

The only time I've ever needed "help" with something is when a retailer implements a "control system" for inventory that prevents me from being able to pick it up off of the shelf. Like ammo at Wal*Mart or small electronics at Sam's Club. Even in those situations, they almost always have a person designated to be the "getter" of those products in the vicinity.

17. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Hey, thanks. I"m sure everyone on Glocktalk under 40 thinks real highly of you, too, and the broad brush you use for quick painting.

And how many of us people under 40 are the ones responsible for the state of the world you guys are leaving to us?

18. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

Sorry to disappoint you on the timing of my rant. I didn’t have my PDA with me at the time - typing out the event as it transpired.:whistling:

Okay, at what point (or pay level) would you consider filing an attitude or service complaint about someone who is getting paid to help you?

19. Bado

Bado

The thing to have done would be while he is ringing it up say "wait a sec I forgot something", run and grab as much BS you could hold in your arms (doesn't matter what it is but make it a lot of little different things). After he rings it up say "sorry I forgot my wallet, have a good new year" and walk out. But watch your six as you exit.

20. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

The basic "help" folks need is when they do not have the time to roam the 260,000 square feet (largest Wal-Mart Super Center) of a Big Box store in search of an item.

All this guy needed to do was to try and find the item for me. Maybe you missed the part where I had already L@@ked in the isle where the silicone sealant was kept and didn’t see what I was looking for. Maybe you missed the part where I indicated the store was EMPTY of customers?:dunno: