RANT: Broth-injected meats

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by VictorLouis, Jul 22, 2005.

1. VictorLouis

VictorLouis

Is anyone else as fed-up with this scam as I am?!:soap:

Just a couple of examples:

1) You put some boneless chicken thighs into the pan to sautee and brown. So much fluid leeches out you end up with BOILED chicken if you don't drain out the pan three or four times. A full pan only looks 2/3 full when cooked.

2) You put a pork roast into the crock-pot solo, with nothing added. You get home to find it half-way immersed in its own water....BOILED yet again.

I no longer purchase ANY meats with, "..a solution of up to 15%" anywhere on the label. It's worth it to me to pay the extra 15% per-pound MORE for real meat and end up with every bit of it when cooked. And, to have it taste and look as presentable as you hoped.

I notice that some of the poultry producers are even using this in their commercials. I'll no longer patronize Tyson or Pilgrim's Pride.

For those of you in the Phoenix area, the Sunflower Market chain has all-natural meats without enhancement.

Thanks for reading!:)

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

YES!

3. Germanasian

Germanasian Word

Yes, me too. The eating experience when having a meal with these meats is always weird. The food tastes okay at first, but after a few bites you realize something just isn't 'right'. Then I feel kinda weird after eating more than 4 oz of the stuff. I wonder if I'll grow a third nut or nipple 20 years down the road from eating this stuff...

4. K.C. Dia

K.C. Dia

Yes, Walmart is the worst offender, all of their meat, including beef, is injected. I try to buy only non-injected pork, chicken, etc, but it is getting harder to find. The texture of the injected meat is mushy. Plus, I like to brine pork, but you can't do it if it is already injected.

5. Sm0key369

Sm0key369

We have a sunflowerer market right down the street form my house. The place smells funny, but they got all different types of beer that normal grocery stores dont have.

6. Dandapani

Dandapani

Huh?

7. stooxie

stooxie NRA Life Member

15%??? Holy moses, I've never seen it that high. Around me, store brands will carry stuff that is between 4% and 10% retained water.

However, you are correct. The main reason for doing this isn't actually to rip you off but to have the meat retain it's moisture and to make it appear better than it is. For example, chicken breasts. It takes a semi-reasonable amount of skill to cook one without drying it out. (Semi). Have it retain a pile of water by brining or injecting and it's a lot easier.

Now, in the hands of someone who knows what he is doing the retained water is nothing but a nuisance, as you have seen.

-Stooxie

8. groundhawg

groundhawg

i think the big stores krogers, meijers and walmart use exlax and water to inject the meats,[know what i mean?]. lucky for me, the corner market dosent inject thier meats and they also happen to have the best meat in town....groundhawg

9. digitspaw

digitspaw RIP 08/95~09/09

Ditto to what she said!:soap:

10. digitspaw

digitspaw RIP 08/95~09/09

I don't buy meat at WalMart but I do buy it from Sam's Club and I like their meats A LOT. Never have this problem.

I always go to a full price butcher to get stuff like Prime Rib, etc.
    I know a place to get grade 4 Prime. Not cheap, but man o man.;e

11. VictorLouis

VictorLouis

I've been buying from Sam's, which is part of the Wally empire. They're meats are the same way, at least for the pork and Tyson Chicken products.;Q