Ranges near Frisco

Discussion in 'Lone Star Glockers' started by Bryan138, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Bryan138

Bryan138

I have recently relocated to the Frisco area from Florida and am hoping to get some feedback on ranges that are close by. I've seen a few ranges in Garland by where I work, but being that I make that drive Monday to Friday I was hoping to find something a little closer for the weekend. Any ideas?

I would prefer something outdoors if possible, though indoor ranges would be okay in moderation. I would also prefer a private range as long as the membership fees are reasonable.

Anyone have any recommendations?

2. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

3. joseywales

joseywales

4. Bryan138

Bryan138

I guess I'll have to take some time to check some of these out.
    Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

5. corpdriller

corpdriller

Adrenaline Proving Ground on 380 just west of Greenville. Outdoor pistol range and a 300 yard rifle range. Open to the public.

Jacobs Plain Gun Club is northeast of Greenville In BFE. Also OTTP.

North Texas Shooting Club is just north of Denton. It is private club.

They have a website, I just don't know off-hand what they are. Google is your friend.

I belong to Collin County IDPA and we shoot at these ranges. Come join us sometime.

6. Bulldog

Bulldog Millennium Member

The Garland Public Shooting Range is gonna be about the closest outdoor range to you. It's a nice range, but no FMJ, no rapid fire, range staff can be pricks on occasion. Tollway ==> George Bush ==> Pleasant Valley ==> Bam, you're there. It's a drive, but like I said, it's the closest outdoor range to Frisco.

Closest indoor range is the Bullet Trap in Plano. Decent gun selection in the shop. Staff can be somewhat elitist. They've pissed a lot of people off by being pricks, but I've never had a problem with them.

If you haven't lived in Texas before, and if you plan to stay here for a while, one thing you'll learn is that it's not that uncommon to make a 1 1/2 or 2-hour drive to get to where you might need to go.

7. Bryan138

Bryan138

Guess I'll have to seriously stock up on ammo to check all of these ranges out. Comes in as a handy excuse to avoid going shopping with the wife.:thumbsup:

8. aerod1

aerod1 NRA Life Member

]

I have never had a problem with the people at Garland Public Shooting Range. They have rules and they vigerously enforce the rules but no problems with them being "pricks". I know most of them and they are very nice people.
    Now one day at Bullet Trap I was shooting a single action revolver and the range officer told me to quit "rapid firing". I thought he was joking and said, "yea right". He said, "I'm not kidding". I said, ''I am shooting a single action revolver and am shooting slower than anyone in the room". He said, "I saw you". I said, "OK" and then I just let it go. Because I am really interested in accuracy, I am known for being a slow shooter at the range. Other people at the range could not believe he was talking to me. That's OK with me, because I can deal with it. I have been back to Bullet Trap with NO problems at all. He is no longer there. I don't know what that R.O.'s problem was but it all worked out fine.

9. kodiak37

kodiak37

I've been to the Bullet Trap several times. Last two times I was there, the short girl at the counter treated me like crap. Not only did she wanted me to read the rules, didn't have a problem with doing that, but she wanted me to read the back page which listed the price. Each time I've been there, I've brought someone along. Will not go there anymore.

10. Timberwulf

Timberwulf Pack'n Llama

Sorry to hear that Kodiak. I've been patronizing the Bullet Trap for the last 5 years off and on, and have never had a bad experience with their staff at all. I've even purchased my last 3 pistols from them. Granted, I have not been there a whole lot lately due to time constraints (and budget).

Did you take it up with a manager? They may not be aware those things are happening.

11. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

Ditto about the pricks and range nazis at the Garland range, they flagged my father for "rapid fire" he was not rapid firing at all :rollingeyes:

12. mocella

mocella

One of the mods on the AR15 boards maintains this list of DFW ranges:
    http://falarak.com/ranges.aspx

I head out to Sanger from Frisco (about a 40 minute drive, but it's $10 to shoot all day - pistol/shotgun/rifle included)

13. Bryan138

Bryan138

Is that range outdoors?

14. mocella

mocella

Rifle area is a outside, with a little covered area with benches to shoot from - basically a big open pit up to about 200 yards. Pistol area is basically covered, with the garage-door opener wire-sender setups like you'd get at indoor ranges.

Only issue I've ever had was showing up to shoot pistol when they had a CHL class so no pistol shoot that day.