Home > Practical Tactics > Carry Issues > Ranger Belts...Anyone Wear one for CCW? Recommendations Please.

Ranger Belts...Anyone Wear one for CCW? Recommendations Please.

1. Hey all.

I just got my CCW here in Ohio. I no longer have a good belt for carrying. I sold all my stuff when I lost a lot of weight. Now, I’ve got to find something.

I’ve been looking thru listings for “tactical belts” and there are hundreds and hundreds on Amazon and most are just single layer cordura. I have one of those types and it’s not up to CCW use. So, I’ve been thinking of going with a leather belt this time. One style of belt tgst I have always liked is the RANGER style belt.

Do any if you wear a Ranger belt or wear and use it for carry? If so, what brand do you use and like?

If you can recommend a Ranger belt for me that’s less than $75 or so, that would be awesome. I am a bit leery of spending a lot of money on a belt because I am losing weight again after gaining a bunch back. So, if there’s a quality Ranger belt for less, I’d like to know about it.

Also, if you don’t think a Ranger belt to use for CCW can be found in my budget, please recommend a basic belt that I should look into.
    Thank you for your help.

2. I really like my Wilderness Instructor belt. It's 2 or 3 years old, and worn almost every day and still in almost new condition. It supports my glock 23 with no problem. The only thing I would do differently if I bought it again would be to get the version with the plastic buckle instead of the steel buckle.

3. 51VWoZU-+lL._AC_UX679_.jpg Give the "rigger's" belts a look.
    Most of the quality/name brand units - like blackhawk, are very heavy duty, true mil spec parachute grade webbing & buckle, etc. I can vouch that the quality units are nearly indestructable, having had some of mine for 20+yrs thru both daily life, EDC carry and actual hot spot deployments too numerous to count. Most are at/under $50.
    My wife disliked the bulk of the "d" ring that makes them a rigger belt (designed for hasty rappelling task) but a few mins with a cutoff wheel took care of that on hers.

4. Those look nice. I just Googled "ranger belt" and got a site with some nice ones under $60.

5. I am a big fan of blue alpha belts hybrid edc buckle. They use a cobra buckle but had worked with the original manufacturer to change the male buckle to a smaller profile (1 1/2” total height) so that you don’t have to undo the belt completely every time you remove or install the belt into your jeans. Because of that the heavy duty Velcro will last forever. These belts list on their website for $69.95.

I have been using my current belt for daily use for at least 2 years now and it still looks great and it has not sagged or stretched. Their belts are extremely well designed and built to take a beating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Im using a Wilderness 5 stich Instructor belt that I have had since 2005. Good belt for the money.

7. Core

8. I assume you mean an actual Ranger Belt not just some tactical naming. I wore a version of the brown one from El Paso Saddlery for about 7 years before I wore it out.

[​IMG]

I say worn out, it really only has a nick on the last hole I was wearing it at but I've lost too much weight to wear it and it be useful as a belt. It has certainly stretch and conformed to my shape. Great quality. Really loved the belt. Something to consider is that there is double thickness at the 12 O'clock. I like to carry a small fixed blade scout style at 11. It made it a little difficult.

Cowboyrig.jpg

For simplicity's sake I now use a Wilderness Belt with the frequent flyer buckles and double stiffness. I've tried riggers belts and Cobra buckle belts but I find KISS belts to really be the best. Leather is more comfortable because it conforms to you but it will not provide as much support as nylon belt unless it has the same added stiffeners. Leather looks better without a doubt. They start at $99 but extra stamping will run you more. Hope that helps.

9. I've had the same Wilderness belt for at least 15 years. Only belt I ever wear.

10. I'm with MUT... I've worn a riggers belt for EDC since 1990...many CCW folks spend good $ on a holster and cheap-out on the belt... don't be"that guy"

11. Same-same here

12. The buckle is supposed to be for fall protection, not to rappel with. Just a restraint.

13. Take a look at Nexbelt. I have several EDC belts and Nexbelts have become my favorite, They are super lite because of the material, very fast to buckle up and are nice enough for office attire. The hold your weapon very well, don't even feel the weight or experience sagging.

http://www.nexbelts.com/

14. I own reinforced leather belts but more often than not, I opt for the riggers belt, just like this one.

15. I've got two Wilderness belts, one black and one tan. Great belts, but they look tactical if that is a problem (like at work).

16. Ranger style belts look cool, just 2 problems:
    1. It's hard to get them through all the holster, pouch and belt loops.
    2. It's not worth the trouble for #1, because it's supposed to be concealed. Nobody should know if your cool-looking belt matches your cool-looking holster.

17. I have an old Triple K that is on its way out. It started to lose its rigidity but I still wear it.

I do my best to have a grey appearance about ice with the occasional slip with an NRA t shirt out in public.

18. I have three reinforced Wilderness Tactical belts but I've been wearing a 5.11 "Operator" belt for the last 3-4 years. The buckles on the WTs rust badly on me. The 5.11, despite its $40 price, remains completely untouched by my metal destroying sweat and still has a "5K lbs. tested" tie off point if needed. IMO, best value for a reinforced 1.75" "rigger's belt" around.

19. Tucker Ranger Belt.JPG

Tucker Gunleather.

20. Midway has their double layer leather CCW belt on sale for $35. 16010460353203077284624932953015.jpg

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

21. This post reminds me. I need a new belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Original poster

If you are concealing you just need a good firm belt to keep the rig from sagging.

Personally all I wear are Ranger style belts, dress to duty, 1 1/4" to 2" wide.

As Bren mentioned they can be a bit of a hassle.

If you are concealing hopefully all that would/should be observed are the metal clips of your holster [IWB]

Boston Leather makes a couple of Ranger style belts, they might be/seem/look tactical.

Ebay has some reliable sellers who make/sell Ranger style belts.

23. I have a Tucker Ranger Belt and love it, but for CCW it has its draw backs. If you don't have a holster designed to accommodate the extra girth of the Ranger belt, the belt just looks nice and the holster will sit unused. For single action revolver gear or open carrying your 1911, they're awesome. For everyday CCW, I'd go with a heavy leather belt such as Beltman, Hanks, or Tucker. I've even used a Filson double thick work belt for years, until the stitching started giving up.

24. I have a couple of ranger belts. obtained from Don Hume years ago. I like them and occasionally wear them. They do present a slight problem with certain holsters and mag pouches, but it is doable. If you like them, get one.

25. I personally have the 1.5" dual layer bullhide belt from The Beltman. Best CCW belt I ever owned. Been wearing it daily for five years now and it's still going strong. I It was $79.95 but well worth it. The craftsmanship and finish are second to none. I also have a 1.25" bullhide belt in brown with a brass round buckle for dress wear. They also have belts made from horse hide, elephant, bison, shark and alligator. https://www.thebeltman.net/collections/gunbelts.

Hank's is another good bet for quality gun belts. They have a very decent ranger belt for $90.00. https://www.hanksbelts.com/products/ranger-gun-belt. Good luck!

26. You learn something new every day. I just realized I don't/didn't actually know what a "ranger belt" is. I was thinking "ranger" like army, not "ranger" like Texas... So you're looking for silver and worked leather, length adjustment, conchos, etc? lol. I can see how that would be difficult to position gear on.

27. It's threading a double thickness of leather through the gear that makes things difficult.

Who doesn't need length adjustment in a belt?

28. Gotcha. I meant more along the lines of double-ended buckle/strap setups so you can keep everything symmetrical and correctly positioned for different people or weight gain/loss. I was envisioning the cowboy rig I borrowed from a friend. She rethreaded some straps/buckels and it fit me with holsters/buckle (more or less) correctly positioned. I checked them out on-line and see they're not quite that involved. It seems the basic concept is smaller outer strap/buckle ends that allow the wider belt to overlap, I'm assuming for comfort. I guess I've seen them before but I never realized the style had a name. :cheers:

29. Sorry Syntaxerrorsix, but if you are referring to my comment regaridng the D ring purpose (and not the actual belt buckle, which has no function other than securing the belt in place) your statement is completely incorrect.
    The D ring (otherwise known as an rescure attachment device) on a true Riggers belt is designed for "hasty" rappelling use, ie: use with a fig8 on a carabiner or assender/decender, in the event a harness or swiss seat isnt available, or for a hasty extraction aid.

Feel free to google it, top results speak for themselves.....
    https://spotterup.com/choosing-a-good-riggers-belt/
    https://www.trayvax.com/blogs/news/what-is-a-tactical-belt

BTW - "Fall protection" utilizing a single D ring (or "buckle", if one doesnt know the parts nor terms thereof) that is attatched to a waist belt only, would result in an instant spinal fracture (or much worse) in the event of a fall from any sort of hieght..think about it.
    Fall protection harness's encompass several areas of the body as well as the legs, have arresting features to dispurse, slow or mitigate the load & shock, and are set up so in the event of a fall, one doesnt 'submarine' out of it, break thier back, dislocate thier hips or end up in 2 pieces...

30. You don’t need a “tactical” belt. You need a gunbelt. I prefer wilderness 5 stitch or csm belts.

31. I'm a roof inspector, I'm quite aware of what fall protections is, as I'm in it frequently. That's why I stated it was to be used for a restraint such as clipping in so you don't fall out of a helicopter or off a tower.

Using it to rappel would offer all the same problems as trying to use it as a fall arrest system. A sudden stop is going to break things. No one in their right mind would choose a riggers belt for any sort of vertical work, maybe if you were going to ease your way down a slope or some other very mild condition. If you got rope to rappel you've got rope to make a Swiss seat.

This is more inline with what the belt was intended for. Note the Rappel Master.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

32. I have used this Blackhawk belt for years. Works very well. Good quality

33. I tend to agree, it's what I wear for work. This one is probably 12 years old. Only a little bit of surface rust.
    20200926_064017.jpg

34. Look into Kore Essentials belt. I switched over from Leather Gun belts to the Kore.

35. Again, Kore Essentials

36. I've had a few leather carry belts and when I was looking for another I ended up with a couple of Kore belts. First was the tactical and another in brown leather. They are the most comfortable carry belts I've owned. The leather is not quite as "stout" as the tactical nylon but is still more than enough to support my 26. They are basically infinitely adjustable so no matter if you carry IWB or OWB with the same belt you dont have to compromise for a comfortable fit. A belt with holes just can't be adjusted "just right". Kore Belt.jpg

37. One advantage of the Kore and Blade-Tech ratcheting belts is that they are easy to shorten if you lose weight. Detach the buckle, cut the strap, and re-attach the buckle. If you gain weight, you can buy a new strap instead of an entire belt.