Ranger Belts...Anyone Wear one for CCW? Recommendations Please.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Nalapombu, Sep 25, 2020.

1. drumgod

drumgod

I have three reinforced Wilderness Tactical belts but I've been wearing a 5.11 "Operator" belt for the last 3-4 years. The buckles on the WTs rust badly on me. The 5.11, despite its $40 price, remains completely untouched by my metal destroying sweat and still has a "5K lbs. tested" tie off point if needed. IMO, best value for a reinforced 1.75" "rigger's belt" around.

2. 1L26

1L26

You may all go to Hell and I will go to TEXAS!
    Tucker Ranger Belt.JPG

Tucker Gunleather.

FireMedic-50 and Dynactus like this.

3. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Midway has their double layer leather CCW belt on sale for $35. 16010460353203077284624932953015.jpg

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

papershoot likes this.
  4. n2877

n2877

This post reminds me. I need a new belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

6. FireMedic-50

FireMedic-50 Silver Member

Original poster

If you are concealing you just need a good firm belt to keep the rig from sagging.

Personally all I wear are Ranger style belts, dress to duty, 1 1/4" to 2" wide.

As Bren mentioned they can be a bit of a hassle.

If you are concealing hopefully all that would/should be observed are the metal clips of your holster [IWB]

Boston Leather makes a couple of Ranger style belts, they might be/seem/look tactical.

Ebay has some reliable sellers who make/sell Ranger style belts.

1L26 likes this.
  7. gunsmoke92

gunsmoke92

I have a Tucker Ranger Belt and love it, but for CCW it has its draw backs. If you don't have a holster designed to accommodate the extra girth of the Ranger belt, the belt just looks nice and the holster will sit unused. For single action revolver gear or open carrying your 1911, they're awesome. For everyday CCW, I'd go with a heavy leather belt such as Beltman, Hanks, or Tucker. I've even used a Filson double thick work belt for years, until the stitching started giving up.

8. FL-obiwan

FL-obiwan Retired Fed LEO. USMC late 1960s.

I have a couple of ranger belts. obtained from Don Hume years ago. I like them and occasionally wear them. They do present a slight problem with certain holsters and mag pouches, but it is doable. If you like them, get one.

9. FLGuy

FLGuy

I personally have the 1.5" dual layer bullhide belt from The Beltman. Best CCW belt I ever owned. Been wearing it daily for five years now and it's still going strong. I It was $79.95 but well worth it. The craftsmanship and finish are second to none. I also have a 1.25" bullhide belt in brown with a brass round buckle for dress wear. They also have belts made from horse hide, elephant, bison, shark and alligator. https://www.thebeltman.net/collections/gunbelts.

Hank's is another good bet for quality gun belts. They have a very decent ranger belt for $90.00. https://www.hanksbelts.com/products/ranger-gun-belt. Good luck!

1L26 likes this.
  10. drumgod

drumgod

You learn something new every day. I just realized I don't/didn't actually know what a "ranger belt" is. I was thinking "ranger" like army, not "ranger" like Texas... So you're looking for silver and worked leather, length adjustment, conchos, etc? lol. I can see how that would be difficult to position gear on.

11. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

It's threading a double thickness of leather through the gear that makes things difficult.

Who doesn't need length adjustment in a belt?

FireMedic-50 likes this.
  12. drumgod

drumgod

Gotcha. I meant more along the lines of double-ended buckle/strap setups so you can keep everything symmetrical and correctly positioned for different people or weight gain/loss. I was envisioning the cowboy rig I borrowed from a friend. She rethreaded some straps/buckels and it fit me with holsters/buckle (more or less) correctly positioned. I checked them out on-line and see they're not quite that involved. It seems the basic concept is smaller outer strap/buckle ends that allow the wider belt to overlap, I'm assuming for comfort. I guess I've seen them before but I never realized the style had a name. :cheers:

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  13. 4Rules

4Rules

14. fredj338

fredj338

15. MUT

MUT

Sorry Syntaxerrorsix, but if you are referring to my comment regaridng the D ring purpose (and not the actual belt buckle, which has no function other than securing the belt in place) your statement is completely incorrect.
    The D ring (otherwise known as an rescure attachment device) on a true Riggers belt is designed for "hasty" rappelling use, ie: use with a fig8 on a carabiner or assender/decender, in the event a harness or swiss seat isnt available, or for a hasty extraction aid.

Feel free to google it, top results speak for themselves.....
    https://spotterup.com/choosing-a-good-riggers-belt/
    https://www.trayvax.com/blogs/news/what-is-a-tactical-belt

BTW - "Fall protection" utilizing a single D ring (or "buckle", if one doesnt know the parts nor terms thereof) that is attatched to a waist belt only, would result in an instant spinal fracture (or much worse) in the event of a fall from any sort of hieght..think about it.
    Fall protection harness's encompass several areas of the body as well as the legs, have arresting features to dispurse, slow or mitigate the load & shock, and are set up so in the event of a fall, one doesnt 'submarine' out of it, break thier back, dislocate thier hips or end up in 2 pieces...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  16. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg

You don’t need a “tactical” belt. You need a gunbelt. I prefer wilderness 5 stitch or csm belts.

happyguy likes this.
  17. syntaxerrorsix

I'm a roof inspector, I'm quite aware of what fall protections is, as I'm in it frequently. That's why I stated it was to be used for a restraint such as clipping in so you don't fall out of a helicopter or off a tower.

Using it to rappel would offer all the same problems as trying to use it as a fall arrest system. A sudden stop is going to break things. No one in their right mind would choose a riggers belt for any sort of vertical work, maybe if you were going to ease your way down a slope or some other very mild condition. If you got rope to rappel you've got rope to make a Swiss seat.

This is more inline with what the belt was intended for. Note the Rappel Master.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    FireMedic-50 likes this.
  18. Mudshark100

Mudshark100

I have used this Blackhawk belt for years. Works very well. Good quality

19. syntaxerrorsix

I tend to agree, it's what I wear for work. This one is probably 12 years old. Only a little bit of surface rust.
    20200926_064017.jpg

20. rick458

rick458 USS Texas BB-35

Look into Kore Essentials belt. I switched over from Leather Gun belts to the Kore.