close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ranger 1911a1

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by edverg, Feb 7, 2005.

1. edverg

edverg

Folks.. sorry for this is not about Glocks. I've got a knew RANGER 1911A1 (engraved on its right side is : Federal Defence Services, England) purchased from PB Dionisio. Does any of our fellow members knows about these models in terms of technical performance?

2. jasonub

jasonub

try to ask the question at

3. kerwin

kerwin

The Ranger 1911 is assembled and hand fitted by gunsmiths of Floro International Corporation. The parts are made in Vietnam. Since it is a true blue 1911, then it's technical performance should match any 1911 with the same specs. Personally, i feel that the Ranger is as rough as the Norinco out of the factory, minus the Norinco's tough steel. It needs a lot of tlc to make it more reliable, just like any new 1911... unless of course you bought an armscor or a SAM.:)

4. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

You sure 'bout the Floro connection, kerwin?
    I'd love to know!

The Imperial Defence Ranger 1911A1's at PBD (and a bunch of other shops) are of half-Vietnamese parentage for sure. The italicized-large-rollmark early GI models left me unimpressed. The military-style small-rollmarked GI's look a mite better, but they still don't seem to be true mil-spec.

If my above impressions are correct, you may have a heck of a time with 'drop-in' replacement/upgrade parts that might not drop in.

At least two dealers I've spoken to, Starfire in Pasig and Secure Arms in Cubao, have complaints about soft Ranger steel, although this might apply only to the early Rangers.

5. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

6. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

here's the same pistol above after I replaced with aftermarket parts and some custom gunsmithing work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ranger top end was bought by horge!

7. horge

:)

[​IMG]
    For details of the work (and more ;P), click here.

Soooo, anybody have a cheap, spare 1911 frame they wanna sell me?
    A brand-new SAM frame costs 4k and change, and yet I'm cheaper'n that
    (and addicted to milling, filing, sanding, lapping and polishing.)

8. horge

Just adding another image of the (newer) Ranger GI 1911A1.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry about the zip ties and shaky focus---this was taken at a Gun Show.

If you decide to get a Ranger, get it from PB Dionisio.
    They have the best/newest stock, and they seem to get
    shorter license processing times out of FED.

9. Mang Danny

Mang Danny

Are those Rangers forged? or investment cast? or just plain cast?

10. paltik45

paltik45

Just my opinion guys, if I am going to buy a budget 1911 I would consider two things. First and the most obvious is the quality of workmanship. I think ARMSCOR/ROCK ISLAND would be a good candidate di hamak na mas pulido ang trabaho kaysa NORINCO at higit pa sa RANGER. Second would be the quality of steel and the process (casting vs. forged). At this category kahit labag sa loob ko ay sa NORINCO ako specialy if you will use it for competition. I know guys and gals when it comes to purchasing 1911 I keep on preaching our very own ARMSCOR/ROCK ISLAND. Hindi komo pinoy ako kaya ko pino-promote, the truth is I've used it a lot. Kaya tangkilikin ang sariling atin at^c ;D

11. paltik45

paltik45

I think it was investment casting. I will try to dig out my copies of GUNS & AMMO mags and SHOTGUN NEWS they have some reviews of the budget 1911's.

12. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

even if i wanted the norinco as a base for my custom single stack pistol project, i got the ranger 1911 for a very good price. i got it pre-owned from a pbd gun club member who upgraded to another pistol.

so far, the only problem i've encountered is the different thread pattern used for the grip bushings.

13. kerwin

kerwin

The guy at PB Dionisio Cagayan de Oro told me so. :)

Anyway, we can always ask Floro International Corporation, maybe somebody from FLORO can clarify it for us, but i do know they make upgrades for the 105 howitzer and M1 Garand conversion Kits.

14. edverg

edverg

During the break-in (of my RANGER 1911-A1 from PB) approx 10 mags x 7rounds, there was no instance were it fired continuously and emptied the magazine. Stoppage is there. Weve got it throated lately, and tried with 5 mags x 7 rounds on rapid fire and there's no stoppage. Do I need further firing to know whether the stopage problem is already eliminated? Cartridges used during the break-in were 230 grain FMJ, not reloads.

15. horge

Well, you seem to have gotten it cured of choking on ball (!!!!).
    Since domestic reliability testing is commonly pegged at 200 malf-free rounds,
    you can try shooting 200 to see.

Certainly, you should test it with the actual ammo you intend to use,
    and if that happens to be one of the trickier-feeding JHP's, hey,
    happy hosing. If it was me... I'd also probably want to borrow
    someone else's PROVEN mags (proven on a more-or-less milspec pistol,
    like Colt, Springfield Armory, Armscor, or Norinco), and see if your
    pistol will reliably feed off of those.

Just me.
    :)
    h

16. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

kung titignan mo yung thread ni horge, ang gaspang talaga ng ranger. you need to polish all of the inside of the slide to remove the tool marks as much as possible, specially sa disconnector rail where the slide strips the next round to feed into the barrel chamber.

don't overdo the throating or you'll end up with a loose chamber. baka mag kaboom ka. polish just to remove all rough and high spots and para walang sumasabit. polish in the direction how the cartridge feeds.

mecgar yata ang kasamang mga mags ng ranger, which are reliable. you just need to check the feed lips kung tama ang buka. pag masyadong mahigpit o maluwag, mag nose dive or tatayo naman mga bala. check also the ejection pattern. dapat papunta sa kanan and slightly to the back.

post a picture if you can. magkano mo pala nabili sa pb? and how long did it take for the licensing and release of the unit?

17. edverg

edverg

25K during the last Gun show sa SM mega mall. It took 3+1/2 weeks dahil nataon sa holiday.But I've heard, others, under normal circums. they've theirs in 3 weeks time.

18. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

25k? anong model kinuha mo? yung enhanced model? hard chromed?

19. edverg

edverg

Hard Chrome Sir ang frame at yung barrel nya, black color ang slide, bevelled mag. well, black chequered grips,. but no half cock safety. I wish I could post its picture one of these days.

20. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Looking at your GI guns, I always get the itch to break out the sand paper, files and drill. Yung square edges ng grip safety are begging to be rounded! At yang hammer, kung akin yan, matagal na siguro nalagare yang spur. ;f