Range Trip today, G22 malfunctions (pics)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JoeyK545, Jan 28, 2010.

1. JoeyK545

JoeyK545

So I went to the range today with a couple buddies and for the first time ever my G22 malfunctioned... 5 times. I'm speculating/hoping it was just the ****ty Blazer Brass ammo I had.

I've had this gun for 8 months now and never had any malfunctions (probably close to 500 rounds through it.) A good part of why I chose to buy a Glock as my first gun is because of their reputation for reliability.

I'm fairly certain I was not limp wristing, because after the initial malfunction happened that is the first thing I made sure I wasn't doing. First was an FTF, then an FTE, and then a few more of either one.

Here is a picture of one of the malfunctions:
    [​IMG]

Other than that it was probably the funnest range trip I've had yet. I brought my G22 ofcourse, my roomate brought his Sig Mosquito, a friend brought his brother's Kel Tec Sub-2000, and the one we all had the most fun with, a Colt Anaconda 44mag :whistling:

[​IMG]

Good god this gun is so fun
    [​IMG]

But anyway, if anyone has some input on my malfunctions I would greatly appreciate it.

2. rdmtbiker

rdmtbiker On The Road....

I will say under powered ammo....

Let another person shoot the gun, and see if it happens again....

Your results may vary......:wavey:

3. Memnok

Memnok

That first photo is a "stove pipe". If you were not limp wristing, I'd have to go with under powered ammo as a cause too.

4. Comp_sH00teR24

Comp_sH00teR24

He said he was shooting Blazer Brass. Have you ever shot Blazer Brass? It's pretty damn hot.

5. HPPD48

HPPD48

It has been from my experience this only happens from bad reloads or a dirty weapon!! Try cleaning it and if still happens with in 200 rounds, it the ammo. But i'm willing to bet that it needs a good cleaning!!

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I never got any "low power" Blazer Brass in .40 S&W.
    It dirty as Sin, but low powered is ain't!

7. vmann

vmann Controller

i am going to point at that mag extension and a spring too weak for it in reference to your ftf...

as for the stove pipe, that is a classic limp wrist, that is the only time i have ever seen a stove pipe in any of my glocks...

8. Ima19man

Ima19man

That looks like a nickel plated shell to me though. It might not be blazer brass.

Edit: Now that I look at it more.... I may just be retarded.

9. vmann

vmann Controller

the person in the pic also appears to have a somewhat weak stance, that could be the issue for the stove pipe...

10. Tailhunter

Tailhunter Glockman

pants on the ground ..... hat on side ways. :supergrin:

11. Randy from Kansas

Randy from Kansas

What is that stuff above the range rubber or plywood. And is it suppost to stop bullets from going over the dirt bank ?

Off topic but I would like to know

12. JoeyK545

JoeyK545

I cleaned the gun pretty meticulously previous to this trip so that shouldn't be it.

As for the stove pipe, maybe I was limp wristing and I just didn't notice. I've just never had that issue before and I can't see a reason why I would have started, but I'm definitely not ruling it out. Whatever the problem is here I want to resolve it, especially if its me.

Vmann- Thanks for the constructive criticism, I know I need to work on that, its just not something that comes naturally to me (I've always had bad posture in the first place) Also, I thought it could be the mag extension as well. A good friend of mine's uncle services the secret service's handguns for a couple decades now and he warned me of problems with those.

Tailhunter- My pants are at my waist (I'm 6'4 and have a rather long torso) and I dont have a hat on, I just have a really large mellon :wavey:

Randy- The stuff over the range is extremely thick and tough rubber, and you're right, it is there to keep rounds from flying over the dirt backstop.

Thanks for all the input guys, I really do appreciate it.

*Edited in response to vmann

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  13. itsgottabeapit

itsgottabeapit

Blazer makes aluminum cases as well. That's what that looks like to me...

14. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

Here's an unrelated tip: looking at you shooting you're leaning away from the gun. Lean in to it, that helps control the recoil.

15. AK47Man

AK47Man Expert Marksman

Joey. When you installed that mag extension did you install a longer spring or use the stock one? That could be your problem.

16. bentbiker

bentbiker

Joey, in the picture, you are apparently using a cup and saucer grip on the revolver. Was that the same grip you used with the 22? If yes, I wonder whether you previously used a much stronger overlapping grip and picked up a bad habit from firing the revolver.

17. den888

den888

Blazer ammo is pretty good, I've fired .40/.45/9mm in my Glocks with no issues. So, it's probably not the ammo...

18. "Cold Dead Hands" !

"Cold Dead Hands" !

19. CBennett

CBennett

yup, love the stuff..preferred over the old WWB just because of that..it COULD have been just a round that was underpowered though..we all know it could not have been the gun :) . ive got about 1/2 a case of blazer Aluminum on hand right now its great ammo. Ive only ever had one of those happen..I honestly have no idea what it was that caused it..but it never happened again..im guessing because the Glocks grips were so crappy in my hand I was trying to shift my grip around to get it more comfortable or "right" and probably it was my fault.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  20. vmann

vmann Controller

check youtube for hickok45 for some shooting technique, he has some really good vids out and can really help with the posture...

i think the +2 mag extensions are hit and miss...i had recieved some a few years back with a 95 glock 23 i bought that came with 10 rnd mags...i took them off quickly as they had a ton of ftf's....