Range tomorrow, first time..

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by FiremanMike, Feb 15, 2010.

1. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

I've loaded about 200 rounds total now, only taking the last 50. I watched every case, looked in each before I seated the bullet, I'm sure there are no double charged cases. That said I'm paranoid that there is one.. Will I ever get over that?

2. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

I was worried also. What happened to me I had a squib with a 147 with a start grain. After 3 trips to the range I'm really feeling good about it. The last trip I only had 2 FTE. Sounds like you are paying attention to detail and I think you do fine.

3. idahoglock36

idahoglock36

You will get over that in time.

Had a 9mm not fire today...pulled the hammer back hit it again no fire. Ejected the case no primer at all.....don't know if it fell out of if didn't get one. The main thing is watch for the double charge, if you are using a progressive make sure you will know if you double charged...by powder spilling out (use a powder that takes up most of the room in the casing). You know if you have a double charge because there is powder everywhere (you can't miss it unless you are watching NASCAR....sorry Gio)...I look at every charge when I seat the bullet....if it doesn't look right it isn't pull it and weigh it. Most of the other lessons you will have all of you parts left to tell the tale.

Have a good time at the range...you'll do fine...then shoot all your rounds so you can load them up again.:cool:

4. Bones507

Bones507

You will get over it , just remember to bring bandages, a tourniquet, some blood of your same blood type, an IV, some tape and spilnts and you will be fine !

I had the same feelings the first time i took out my Swedish Mauser and some 6.5x55,s that i loaded. I had visions of the bolt getting stuck in my forehead and not being able to wear sunglasses anymore. :supergrin:

5. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Hypothetically speaking if there was a double charge, will it 100% blow up my gun?

6. XDRoX

XDRoX

What are you loading?

What type of powder and measure are you using?

Why are you concerned that you may have double charged something?

One thing that Fred taught me was to keep all the shells primer side up in the shell tray. As I'm putting powder in them they get turned over. So if one is turned over it has powder.

I don't know what your loading but certain powders can also help. For example, if you load 9mm with unique it's impossible to get a double load because it will over flow and you'll see you messed up.

Hope this helps:wavey:

7. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

You said you looked in the case each time you pulled the handle. How would you have a double charge? Yes, more then likely it will blow up your gun.

8. dudel

dudel

And likely injure body parts holding the gun. Celox can be your best friend if/when this happens.

You need to pick a powder/projectile combination that fills a good portion of the case. That way a double load will overflow the case and give you a quick indication of a problem.

If you are that worried, you might be better off with a single stage. That way you cover each step one at a time. Less things going on simultaneously. When I use the single stage for small batches, I dump powder in all the cases. They are all lined up in the loading tray. Easy to use a flashlight and see that they are all at the same relative level. Then The all get projectiles placed, then seated, then crimped. It's harder to mess up when running a single stage.

9. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

If you're really worried about a Kaboom when you get to the range drag the spare tire from your car, lay it on the ground next to the shooting bench, duct tape the gun to the tire, tie a string to the trigger, back off 50 yards, take cover behind your car, at the top of your lungs yell, FIRE IN THE HOLE, and yank the string.

No matter what happens you'll never have to worry about a Kaboom again... they'll never let you back on the range.

(I think it's be easier if you just paid me to rent one of my ex-wives for all your test firing.)

Jack

10. dudel

dudel

Great idea! I'll call up BoomBoom and see if she'll take the KaBoom.

Don

11. Bones507

Bones507

True, but it still happens. The key is to eliminate all distractions when throwing powder. My Wife was bugging me one day while i was loading and i wound up with 2 squib rounds in the same batch and i have only had 3 in 13 years. Now i am very firm about not being disturbed while throwing powder, i dont want to know nothing about nothing and she knows this.

12. dudel

dudel

Yep, finding the right powder just makes it easier to detect; not impossible to do. Key, as you said, is concentration. You're making small bombs that you plan to set off in you hand.