Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Range Reports- Ruger GP100, SP101, Glock 34 and S&W 325 Night Guard

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Airborne Infantryman, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

Had a day at the range yesterday, and shot my Ruger SP101 snubby, GP100 6-Inch, and S&W 325 Night Guard for the first time yesterday. There's GOOD, and there's BAD. First the good; the Ruger's shot FLAWLESSLY! The Snubby SP101 is very, very manageable, with no felt pain when firing MagTech JSP 156gr .357 Magnum rounds. I found that its not very accurate, but I also found I was flinching like a son of a gun as well. :rofl: The groupings were good enough that any poor soul who tried to harm me would be annihilated at 10 yards and in.

The GP100 6-Inch.....WOW! Accurate as heck! The recoil was VERY, VERY nice and soft with MagTech 158gr JSP .357 loads. After getting used to the gun, I was hitting the bullseye if I really tried. It was the most enjoyable gun I shot that day, with minimal recoil, and great accuracy. It is now my favorite wheel gun in my arsenal.

Glock 34- What can I say? Its a Glock. I ran 100 rounds of MagTech 115gr FMJ through it with not a single hiccup. Gun was very, very accurate and soft shooting; I'd say its the softest shooting 9mm pistol I've ever shot. Maybe due to the cutouts on the slide and the added weight of the longer slide? I found that during rapid fire, firing in 4-5 shot bursts, I could keep all my shots in a nice grouping that was more than acceptable for a up close and personal SHTF scenario. I now know why Team Glock use Glock 34's so much; their smooth, accurate, soft-shooting, and reliable. I love my Glock 34!

S&W 325 Night Guard- The gun is definitely NOT a range toy; it kicks HARD! Harder than my .357 Magnum SP101 snubby. Changing out moon-clips is no fun, either, and my hands were sore as hell, between the insane recoil, and prying the emptied casings from the moon clips. I couldn't hit a darn thing with it at 10 yards, but I attribute that to it being the first time I shot it, and flinching. Ammo fired was 50 rounds of Federal 230gr .45 ACP; my hands could not bear to fire anymore.

NOW, for the BAD about the 325 Night Guard!

I got home, cleaned it, and right before I put it up, I dry fired it a few times; as I was pulling the trigger during a dry fire, the gun locked up.......the trigger was stuck in the back position, and the hammer was forward.

I cocked the hammer back, and pulled the trigger, and the hammer fell like it should, but when cocking the hammer back, it wasn't rotating the cylinder. After pulling the hammer back, then pulling the trigger while slowly lowering the hammer by hand, it unlocked itself. I thought it might be the dreaded Hillary Hole causing the problem, but it wasn't not as far as I could see, because I was still able to pull the trigger while it was jammed up.

This is not very cool, especially considering what I paid for the was brand new with a test-fire date of 1/12/2010. Either way, my confidence in the gun is gone, and I took it back to my dealer and returned it today. He gave me a brand new Rock Island Armory 1911 Tactical, and cash to break even. Even threw in a few Wilson Combat 47D 8-round mags.

I will never buy another Scandium-Framed S&W again, although I'm sure S&W would have made it right, I didn't like the gun anyway, and my dealer was more than happy to make things right.

2. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

That sucks about the 325, S&W has a good reputation for dealing with stuff like that, hopefully they can get it fixed before your next deployment.

3. Chainlink

Now you know why so many of us love our GP100's. I am glad you enjoyed it.
  4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Tejas, US
    I told you to get some of the plastic moonclips for range use. One of these days you youngsters are gonna have to listen to old Sarge...:)
  5. ithaca_deerslayer

Upstate NY, USA
    I love my wife's new GP-100 6". With .38s, it is like shooting a .22.

Too bad about the 325. I wonder if just some metal part broke. You know, as in a defective part. Guess it can happen with any gun, even revolvers.