close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Range Report - Taurus model 66

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by CoLoSSaL Uprising, Mar 27, 2010.

1. CoLoSSaL Uprising

CoLoSSaL Uprising

So, I went to the range today, first time I have gotten to shoot since the fall. We don't have an indoor range here, but I happened to be in a neighboring city and I took that as an opportunity.

On tap was a Keltec P3AT, my everyday carry Kahr K40 Stainless, and my Taurus model 66 7 shot, 6 inch barrel blued revolver with hogue grips.

I shot the keltec and hated it. Literally. Absolutely good for nothing gun.

K40 is always rock solid. 1 inch group at 20 yards. Flawless feeding and ejection with 8 full magazines gone through.

Then it came to the model 66.

I started firing .38 +p rounds, anticipating a recoil that I was not used to.

I was wrong. The recoil was far less than my P3AT - and even less than my K40.

At 10 yards I was on the bullseye all but one shot with 21 rounds. One shot was 3 inches off.

Ok, so I move it out to 20 yards. 1 inch group at 20 yards with the .38 +p ammo - 21 rounds. I shot each shot single action.

So I upgraded to the .357 ammo. Recoil was similar to my K40, but man was it accurate. Not one shot out of the bullseye - 21 more rounds fired at 10 yards.

So I do the same at 20 yards - had to take my time a little bit - was at 3 inch groups with 21 rounds.

I switched to dual action and had to adjust to the longer trigger pull, but it was still amazing.

This is the first revolver I have ever shot other than a 22. I am in love. The smooth trigger pull, accuracy, and recoil reducing weight made me VERY happy.

I will always carry my K40 because I just can't figure out how to easily conceal a 6 inch barrel. But I will look forward to every range trip with this piece.

By the way, that Keltec is going to get sold real soon. 2 magazines worth was enough for me.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  2. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

The older 66 was as close as you could get to the old S&W M19 combat magnum. I had one years ago and they're very good!

3. Berto

Berto woo woo

First revolver I had was a Taurus 66. I had reduced power trigger springs installed to sweeten the trigger, it worked well.
    Do you have any pic of these one inch groups?

4. CoLoSSaL Uprising

CoLoSSaL Uprising

Nope. I didn't have my camera with me and I threw the targets away. Next time I will video it.

5. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Congratulations on your 66.

6. simplyrob

simplyrob

the 66 is my only revolver and i too love it. granted i have had major issues with every other taurus ive owned (4 others), but, never a single peep outta my 66. agreed, +1.

7. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

I had a 66 taurus liked it a lot.
    Interesting the Keltec was a "good for nothing Gun"
    Try sticking that 66 in your front pants pocket.
    Then you may see the benefit of the p3at. It's not a range gun.
    But it can go places others cannot.
    I'll give you $100 for it and relieve you of your Keltec miseries.