close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Range report: Glock 30 sf

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Mystery Meat, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Mystery Meat

Mystery Meat

Hi guys-

I picked up my new Glock and took it for a test drive today. I shot about 200 rounds of WWB 230. I hadn't fired a .45 before. My other handgun is a 9mm Glock 17.

The only mods on the sf are Tru-glo fiber optic/tritium sights and an extended mag release.

It's very easy to shoot, not much different than the 17. There is more recoil, but it's not a problem.

The grip is going to take time to get used to. My hands are medium/large. It feels like I'm not holding the gun securely enough (compared to the 17), but I'm accurate with it, so maybe I'll get used to the feeling.

My little finger kept getting pinched when the gun fires. I've read about that in other reviews. It didn't hurt, but I noticed it. I put on shooting gloves after the second magazine.

Three times, I had trouble inserting a mag into the gun. I inserted it in the usual way and gave it a tap, but it didn't seat. If I whacked it harder, it would seat. This was with a full mag of ten rounds. It happened with two different mags, but not all the time. Maybe things are just stiff and tight right now, and will loosen up over time.

I've read that some guys have had problems with the brass being ejected back into the face. This happened one time. Two other times, the brass hit my cap. I don't know what's up with that. Some reviews have reported it happens all the time (some problem with the ejector?), but for me, I was struck in the face only once out of 200 rounds. Odd.

I like the gun and am looking forward to more range time with it.

2. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

When you seat the magazine, drive it in with the heel of your hand against the bottom plate. Drive it hard!

In a bad situation, if the magazine doesn't seat, you are dead in about one more shot.

Richard

3. turbostar66

turbostar66

Was this inserting the magazine into the pistol with the slide forward (or "closed"?) If so I think this is normal. My G30SF mags are tight with 10 rounds and if I try to load 10+1 reinserting the magazine after I've loaded a round is tough.

If you meant you were having trouble while the slide was back (or "open"), then I don't think that is normal.

4. Glockster45ACP

Glockster45ACP

It is normal for a new G30SF to be a little stiff inserting the mags when new, at least mine was and from what I've read others as well. Also mags should go in very easy with the slide locked back. Mine loosened up after a few hundred rounds but it still needs a good smack to lock into place. Leave you mags loaded will help too.:cool:

5. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Congrats on your new .45! Yeah, the G30SF is a little tight inside compared to some of the other Glocks I have...

I initially had lots of trouble with the 10-round stock magazines, specifically with the 10+1 configuration. I learned that by loading up the magazine and letting it sit like that for a while (a week or so) helped get everything working properly. Same thing with the flush-fitting 9-round magazine. They are tight, indeed.

Enjoy your new Glock!

6. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Shoot, I've had mine for years and thousands of rounds. That sucker is still tight! I don't mind it though but it does need a good whack to seat the mag when fully loaded.

7. RedZ71

RedZ71

i get a little pinch with my G30SF too. and mine is set up exactly as you described, except i also have extended slide release. great shooting gun, super accurate :)

8. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

I just got a G30sf today!! I immediately had some Tru-glow TFO night sights put on it. Love this gun!!! Mine is tight as well when loaded to capacity in the mag.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  9. The Boar Buster

The Boar Buster

My mags are still tight after a 1000 rds, but I can tell that they have loosend up a little. Its still the best shooting glock I own. I have had one round land in my front shirt pocket. I was doing rapid fire and i think I may have limp risted it. 1 out of a 1000 isnt a problem.

10. 40frank

40frank

The 30 mags are tight and need a little breaking in before you can load them easier. I have 9 round and 10 round mags. It took a few weeks before I was able to load the last round by hand, instead of using the loader.