close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Range Report: Gen4 Glock 22 + 40-9 Lonewolf Barrel

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by stolenphot0, Mar 14, 2012.

1. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

FINALLY, after owning my Glock 22 for over 2 months I got to hit the range today. Because you'll ask why so long, a week or so after I got it my wife was hospitalized for a month, so she took priority.

Now on to the range. I shot at Miami Valley Shooting grounds, which just started hosting GSSF matches. It is located in Vandalia, OH. I went with my neighbor and use their indoor range, which was empty besides us. The outdoor range had some business because it was 78 out today.

My Gen4 22 is setup with the latest RSA and the original 1882(?) ejector and the Gen3 trigger bar. This thing ran flawless with 100 rounds of Winchester WinClean 180gr, except 1 failure to feed, which was probably my weak hold at the time. I was trying a couple quick fires and I was getting fatigue a little.

After I went through the 100 rounds of .40 I switched to the 40-9 barrel and went through 100 rounds of Blazer Brass 124gr and shot a little better with it. It had just a couple hiccups. One piece of brass hit me square in the forehead, and this I associated to a weak hold or possibly the extractor not getting a good hold. The second was a failure to feed. Blaming that on using a .40 cal 22round fun stick with the 9mm. Jammed on the 2nd to last shot.

My neighbor also brought his Taurus 24/7 Pro .40 cal and that was a totally different experience. this was only the second time he had brought it out to shoot. Ran flawless for him at first, then gave it over to me. First mag perfect, but it has such a soft/different trigger. Second mag had 1 light strike and 2 no strikes right in a row. Was weird. Gave it back to him, went 1 mag perfect and second had one light strike.

Things I learned: I need a speed loader, I cut my thumb. 9mm works in the .40 cal fun sticks, held 23 rounds. The recoil on the .40 is fine for a first time shooter.

After the first three mags. Decent I think. One low shot down in the white was my second or third shot, trying different stances/grips. This was mostly from about 10 yards, with half a mag out to about ~20 yards.
    [​IMG]

2. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

Looks good, nice shooting Tex !! ....

3. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Thanks. The disease has struck, I think I need a .45, screw the G17. :supergrin:

4. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Good to read the range report. You'll like .45--they blow big old holes in the targets and backing board. Plus, they're just fun to shoot!

Checkout slickguns and you'll find the Uplula loader at a great price, including shipping. It'll save your thumb, and it makes quick work of reloading mags.

So, what's the verdict? You like the .40 or 9X19 better through yours?

5. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Honestly I love them both. .40 shot a lot softer than I expected in the Glock, a little harder in the Taurus (but I didn't like its trigger or grip. Maybe with more practice). The 9x19 was super soft. After cleaning I loaded a magazine of PDXi and put the pistol in the closet. My mom is visiting to help with my wife, and she was worried about my girls getting ahold of it. Keeping it in the house right now, its not going to be chambered, and there is no way my 9 year old can rack the slide yet. I've watched her try, and I told my mom to try it and she couldn't either.

My neighbor brought 3 of his revolvers also, an older S&W police special (forget the actual model), his brand new EAA .357 magnum/.38 Super, and a Colt King Cobra. I didn't get a chance to shot them, but man were they loud.

6. scattershot

scattershot

Yep, second the Uplula. Don't even think about it, just get one. Your thumb will thank you.

7. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

on order